Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sahir & Shairi

, Films of Sahir Ludhianvi

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sahir & Shairi, Films of Sahir Ludhianvi
akbaralibhai
post Apr 21 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3033

Thank you very much for starting this wonderful thread and songs of Baazi and Naujawan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HarshBhatt
post Apr 22 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8788

Great start, waiting for some 'never heard before songs'

Keep sharing

Thanks
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Apr 22 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Apr 20 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Thank you very much for starting this wonderful thread and songs of Baazi and Naujawan.

You're very welcome Bhai Saab. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Apr 22 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(HarshBhatt @ Apr 21 2010, 08:32 PM) *

Great start, waiting for some 'never heard before songs'

Keep sharing

Thanks

Thank you very much Harshji. I will keep trying to see if I can live up to your expectations. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
Abbasi
post Apr 25 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 387

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 16 2010, 10:30 AM) *

Azad Ki Raah Par (1949)

Per some published sources, this was Sahir's first film. He wrote four songs for this movie. I don't have a single song to share from this album. Please share with rest of if you have any of the songs from this album. Thank you.

Just brilliant poetry of sahir sahab in Azadi ki raah par. Right now I'm out of station, will try to share when comes back.

Zindagi Hai Ke Badalta Mausam, Har Nai Rut Mein Naye Phool Khile
Bewafai Naheen Aadat Apni, Jab Talak Jis Se Mile Dil Se Mile.........
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Apr 25 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #21

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Abbasi @ Apr 25 2010, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 16 2010, 10:30 AM) *

Azad Ki Raah Par (1949)

Per some published sources, this was Sahir's first film. He wrote four songs for this movie. I don't have a single song to share from this album. Please share with rest of if you have any of the songs from this album. Thank you.

Just brilliant poetry of sahir sahab in Azadi ki raah par. Right now I'm out of station, will try to share when comes back.

That will be great, Abbasiji. Will be looking forward to it. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Apr 26 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #22

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Sazaa (1951)

Here is another beautifully melodious album from the incomparable Burmanda. There are eight songs in this film, but only one of them was written by Sahir Saab. And it is a thing of beauty. The song, "Tum Na Jaane Kis Jahaan Mein Kho Gaye", turns out to be a standout song of the album. That is saying a lot because all of the songs are so good. But in this song, with engrossing lyrics and some lilting music, and the still young and fresh honeyed voice of Lata the song comes alive and like the song says you're helplessly lost in some other world. Now that is the power of heart warmingly mellifluous music ...

I am also uploading a special version of "Tum Na Jaane". This is taken from the album "Lata Live in 1981 - Vol. 1".

Now for the songs of this great album ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 1 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #23

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Jaal (1952)

“Jaal” was Guru Dutt’s second film as a director. He repeated most of the cast members and technicians from his first film “Baazi (1951)”. Dev Anand, Geeta Bali, K.N. Singh, and Badruddin (not yet Johnny Walker) were all repeats from “Baazi”. So also, the music director S.D. Burman and the lyricist, Sahir.

Raj Khosla was again the assistant director. When Guru offered the job to Raj, interestingly, Chetan Anand offered Raj to stay with him, but Raj decided to go along with Guru. Guru and Raj, who was introduced to Guru by Dev, became very close friends. After Guru passed away, in an interview Raj confides that it was the best thing he did to decide to go and work with Guru as Raj was able to learn many fine points from Guru.

V.K. Murty, who was assistant to Ratra for “Baazi”, became a close friend of Guru when he was shooting the movie. Murty was signed by Guru to be the chief photographer for “Jaal”. The association of Murty and Guru lasted until the death of Guru. Murthy photographed all of Guru’s films except “Chaudhvin K Chand” for Guru.

Interestingly, like in “Baazi”, Guru also appears briefly in this movie as well. He is part of the group of fishermen. He is one of the actors in the chorus of the song, “Zor Lagaake” which Geetaji sang beautifully. Incidentally, Raj Khosla also appears briefly in the movie as part of Dev’s team involved in treachery.

Baburao Patel, Filmindia’s editor, was very critical of Guru’s potential as a director after “Baazi” was released. In the November 1952 issue, reviewing “Jaal”, Patel has to eat his own words and had some nice words to say about Guru.

The story of “Jaal” was credited to Guru himself. However, it was heavily borrowed from a 1948 Italian film, “Bitter Rice”. Guru Dutt also wrote the screenplay.

The movie was shot mostly outdoors. It was filmed near Ratnagiri. It is on the coast between Bombay and Goa. Boats, village fairs, churches, fishermen at work, all were party of the natural surroundings that gave “Jaal” its authentic beauty representing the beauty of simple and quiet village people.

A word about the songs. This film has some of the memorable songs written by Sahir and composed by Burmanda. Each song is an utter beauty. Of course the standout song is “Yeh Raat Yeh Chaandni”, duet as well as solo versions. Interestingly, this Hemantda’s song Guru originally wanted to have Raj Khosla sing. It was an ardent desire of Raj to become a singer. Guru wanted to help his friend. Burmanda did record the song in Raj’s voice. But Burmanda was so unhappy about the result that he told Guru that Raj’s voice is too raw and is not ready for such an assignment. Guru was very upset with Burmanda. But better senses prevailed and Hemantda was selected to sing the song. I for one, applaud Burmanda’s choice. Otherwise music lovers all over the world would have been robbed of such superb and unforgettable rendition.

Speaking about “Yeh Raat Yeh Chaandni” one thing is very remarkable about it, apart from Hemantda’s beautiful singing, richly romantic lyrics, and fine nonimposing music. It is the way the song was picturized. This is one of the unforgettable techniques of Guru. He was a master at picturizing songs that were visual treats. In the movie, the song sung very seductively by Hemantda for the hero Dev Anand, starts as the night falls and the moon rises. The sounds of crooning are carried as a gust of wind opens Geeta Bali’s door and reaches her ears. The drawn out song is simply irresistible as she joins the embrace of her lover by the end of the song by walking in almost a trance like state. The duet version is also has a powerful impact making picturization.

I am uploading these songs in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set …

This post has been edited by swarapriya: May 8 2010, 01:03 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 1 2010, 06:05 AM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs from "Jaal (1952)" ...

Here are the rest of the songs from this sparklingly beautiful album from Burmanda. I am also including here a longer version of the melodious duet "Yeh Raat Yeh Chaand". This is from the album "Legends: S.D. Burman - The Ageless All Rounder (CD1)".

Now for the songs ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 10 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Lal Kunwar (1952)

Here is another creation resulting from the collaboration between Sahir Saab and Burmanda. There are 11 songs in this film. Unfortunately I have only three of them I am able to share here. Most of the missing ones, shown in red italics in the table below, I believe, are available. I am requesting members to share the missing songs if they can. Thank you.

Of the three songs I am uploading, my favorite is Suraiya's beautifully melodious "Tum Jo Mile" song. There was definitely magic in her voice that mesmerizes you when she sings melodies like this. Suraiya worked with Burmanda in only three films, "Vidya (1948)", "Afsar (1950)", and "Lal Kunwar (1952)". The first two were Dev's films when Dev and Suraiya were romantically involved and Burmanda's relationship with Dev was firmly cemented. Remember in "Afsar" her songs "Manmor", "Naina Diwana", and "Preet Ka Naata" with Geetaji? How about "Vidya"? Her solo "Kise Maaloom Tha" and her duet with Mukesh, "Laai Khushi". I wish there was more from this association of Suraiya and Burmanda. But these are the only three films they worked together and a total of 10 songs she sang for Burmanda are some of the sweetest songs she sang.

Here are the three songs from "Lal Kunwar" I have ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sangeetbhakt
post May 10 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1288

I have 2 more in low bitrate.

Film: Laal kuNwar (1952)
Music: S D Burman
Format: mp3
Bitrate: 32 kbps (this is all I have)

Song: NigaaheN kyooN
Singer: Suraiya
Duration: 3:22

Song: Preet sataaye teri
Duration: 3:03
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 11 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #27

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ May 10 2010, 08:23 AM) *

I have 2 more in low bitrate.

Film: Laal kuNwar (1952)
Music: S D Burman
Format: mp3
Bitrate: 32 kbps (this is all I have)

Song: NigaaheN kyooN
Duration: 3:22

Song: Preet sataaye teri
Duration: 3:03

Thank you very much SB for the songs. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post May 11 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 30 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Jaal (1952)

“Jaal” was Guru Dutt’s second film as a director. Interestingly, like in “Baazi”, Guru also appears briefly in this movie as well. He is part of the group of fishermen. He is one of the actors in the chorus of the song, “Zor Lagaake” which Geetaji sang beautifully.

It has been close to sixty year since this song was recorded, still the lines "Zor lagaake haiyya" are evergreen. The group of people who move heavy objects (like industrial equipments) still use these words to energize them. I have myself seen 30 odd movers in industry moving chemical reactors chanting "Zor lagaake haiyya". That is the power of the words by Sahir sahab, the Burmanda composition and of course the "magical" voice of Geeta ji and chorus.

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 11 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #29

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ May 10 2010, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 30 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Jaal (1952)

“Jaal” was Guru Dutt’s second film as a director. Interestingly, like in “Baazi”, Guru also appears briefly in this movie as well. He is part of the group of fishermen. He is one of the actors in the chorus of the song, “Zor Lagaake” which Geetaji sang beautifully.

It has been close to sixty year since this song was recorded, still the lines "Zor lagaake haiyya" are evergreen. The group of people who move heavy objects (like industrial equipments) still use these words to energize them. I have myself seen 30 odd movers in industry moving chemical reactors chanting "Zor lagaake haiyya". That is the power of the words by Sahir sahab, the Burmanda composition and of course the "magical" voice of Geeta ji and chorus.

Absolutely charming. Mesmerizing power. That is the beauty of some of the unforgettable songs in our lives. That is what I think good music is all about. Cheers Parag. -S

+Quote Post
astob70
post May 13 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 170421

Sahir sahab has been and will remain one of the greatest lyricists of all time. His poetry has always had a deep impact on me. Salutes to you Sahir sahab.

Thanks so very much Swarapriya for all the wonderful uploads.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:15 AM