Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Geeta's Daughter

, Nina Memon

> Geeta's Daughter, Nina Memon
asad
post May 5 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 389

I don't know if you all have seen this article. It was published in Indya.com.
here's the link.

http://music.indya.com/features/nonfilm/ninamemon_in.html

The article is also posted below...except for her lovely photograph...which I couldn't copy and paste.

A singer named Nina Memon is about to cut her first album. So what's new in this age of Indipop? Nothing, except that Nina is the daughter of legendary playback singer Geeta Dutt, who immortalised songs like Mera naam chin chin choo and Aaj sajan mohe ang laga lo with her sensuous renditions and golden voice.

Nina was ten when she lost her mother Geeta Dutt. An early marriage to Mehmood's nephew Naushad and subsequent motherhood propelled Nina to put her singing ambitions on the backburner. Now, Nina is ready to make her foray into the music world with her first album Kaisa hai ye pyaar.

College friend Tutun Roy, a talented guitarist and a music programmer, has composed eight numbers, which include a hardcore rock and roll and a rap duet with Lucky Ali's younger brother Mansoor Ali. Tutun Roy describes Nina's voice as "unique, and very deep". indya.com met Nina on her recent visit to Mumbai. Excerpts from an interview.

What motivated you to think of singing as a career today?
My main inspiration is my husband. In fact, since my marriage to Naushad 13 years ago, he has been urging me to take up music professionally. Though I love music, I didn't do it as I wanted to give enough time to my kids. Today my daughter Nafisa is twelve and my son Aman is eight. Now I feel I have the time and the space to do something for myself. Music has naturally been my first choice.

Was your mother Geeta Dutt your first teacher of music?
No. My mother passed away when I was just ten. She was tied up with a lot of work. So I couldn't learn from her. She did arrange a music teacher for me at one point, but I really picked up music only in my teens.

What are your strongest memories of your mother?
There was a lot of mischief in my mother. She was fun loving. She loved to have friends around her. I do not remember ever seeing my mother alone. She was an in-doors person and liked to be at home. She'd be cooking and then ever so often she would pull out the harmonium and sing both Hindi and Bengali songs. A tabalchi named Debu would accompany her.

What are our memories of your father, Guru Dutt?
My father died when I was just two. I know him just as the world knows him, as a great filmmaker. I have no personal memories.

One can see, you have eyes like your mother's and some of her other features. Would you say your style of singing is like hers?
No. My voice is huskier than my mother's. Probably an expression here and there may remind one of her style, but I don't attempt to sound like her. I hope mom's fans will give me a chance. I know comparisons are inevitable.

What kind of music appeals to you?
I am all for melody. My top favourites among my mother's songs are Waqt ne kiya and Chale aao. I don't care much for the likes of Punjabi pop. Tutun and I have ensured that my first album has a lot of melody.

What are your future plans?
I am open to doing any kind of music, even playback singing, provided I feel I have the space to do it well. I would like to do a tribute to both my father and mother. In fact, I am working on a collection of my mother's songs. But I would like to release that later. First, I want people to hear my voice and accept me. I guess, they would then be easier on me.

Munmun Ghosh
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:42 PM