Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

An Attempt At Translating The Song From Pyaasa

> An Attempt At Translating The Song From Pyaasa
sandyk
post Feb 23 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4675

I'll make an attempt

This song is basically a sarcasm on the society we live in ( or the society the singer lived in). In the film Guru Dutt plays a poet a unsuccessful poet who faces constant rejections. He and his work was never accepted by the society as he was poor and does not have contacts in the right places. He realises that he lives in a world which is corrupt where love has no meaning and all that matters is money and success.
To understand the meaning of the song one basically needs to understand the meaning of the line СYeh Duniya aagar mil bhi jaye to - kya hai?Ф. Literally translated it would be УEven if you achieve this world Ц so what ?Ф . What the poet actually meant was УEven if you make it (achieve great success) in this world Ц would it really be worth itФ because this world is so corrupt , there is no place for love or humanity all that matters is money, this kind of world/society is not worth leaving in.

In each stanza the poet highlights all the vices that infest the society and then questions whether it would be worth all the effort to be able to achieve success in this society.

I will attempt a line by line translation Ц hope it will make some sense now:

Yeh Mahalon, Yeh Takhton, Yeh Taajon Ki Duniya
This society of palaces and crowns and riches (in other words this society where all that matters is money)

Yeh Insaan Ke Dushman, Samajon Ki Duniya
This society which is full of enemies of humanity

Yeh Daulat Ke Bhooke, Rawajon Ki Duniya
This world which is only hungry for money

Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye, To Kya Hai ?
Even if you make it in this world Ц then what ?

Har Ek Jism Ghayal, Har Ek Rooh Pyaasi
Where everyone is broken and all souls are thirsty

Nigaahon Mein Uljhan Dilon Mein Udaasi
Where people have a confused look in their eyes and sadness in their hearts

Yeh Duniya Hai Ya Aalam-E-Badhawaasi
Is this world or is just a chaos

Even if you make it big here Ц then what ?

Yahan Ek Khilona Hai Insaan Ki Hasti
Here (in this world/society) every human being is just a toy

Yeh Basti Hai Murda Paraston Ki Basti
It is (this society) is a village of dead souls

Yahan Zindagi Se Bhi Hai Maut Sasti
Here death is cheaper than life

Jawaani Bhatakti Hai Badkaar Bankar
Here Young girls roam about characterless

Jawaan Jism Sajte Hain Baazar Bankar
Young bodies are decorated and sold in the market

Yahaan Pyar Hota Hai Vyopar Bankar
Here love is like a business

Yeh Duniya Jahaan Aadmi Kuchh Nahin Hai
This world where a human life has no value

Wafaa Kuchh Nahin Dosti Kuchh Nahin Hai
Where loyalty means nothing, friendship means nothing

Jahan Pyaar Ki Kadr Hi Kuchh Nahin Hai
Where love has no meaning at all

Jalaa Do Ise Fooq Dalo Yeh Duniya
Burn it ,set this world on fire

Jalaa Do, Jalaa Do, Jalaa Do
Burn it, burn it, burn it

Fooq Dalo Yeh Duniya
Set this society on fire

Mere Samne Se Hata Lo Yeh Duniya
Remove this world from my sights (in other words I donТt want to live here anymore)

Tumhari Hai Tum Hi Sambhalo Yeh Duniya
This world is yours you take care of it

Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye, To Kya Hai?

PS: Remember songs/ poems and stories often mean different things to different people. This is my understanding of this song. I may be wrong.

All criticism honestly welcome Ц it will help me learn more

[i]Armaan tha gulsan pur barsoon, kisi shookh ke dama pur barsoon, afsoos ke kismet ne meri mujhe kha pur le mara
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
stuartnz
post May 18 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 19149

QUOTE(sandyk @ Feb 23 2006, 12:04 PM) *

PS: Remember songs/ poems and stories often mean different things to different people. This is my understanding of this song. I may be wrong.

All criticism honestly welcome я┐╜ it will help me learn more

Stunning translation - really well done. Thanks! I just wonder if there is any way to convey the idea of worship carried by "Rawajon". Probably not, I guess, another example of how something will always be lost in translation. Yours is easily the best I've seen so far, thanks so much.

Victoria concordia crescit
рдУ рдкрд╛рд▓рдиреНрд╣рд╛рд░реЗ ... рддреБрдореНрд░реЗ рдмрд┐рди рд╣рдореНрд░ рдХреМрдиреЛрди рдирд╣реАрдВ
What is a pieriansipist?
+Quote Post
r&d
post May 18 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1955

QUOTE(stuartnz @ May 17 2010, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(sandyk @ Feb 23 2006, 12:04 PM) *

All criticism honestly welcome я┐╜ it will help me learn more

Stunning translation - really well done. Thanks! I just wonder if there is any way to convey the idea of worship carried by "Rawajon". Probably not, I guess, another example of how something will always be lost in translation. Yours is easily the best I've seen so far, thanks so much.

Rawajon == Tradition
+Quote Post
stuartnz
post May 20 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(r&d @ May 19 2010, 02:34 AM) *

Rawajon == Tradition

Yes, рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛реЫ is a custom or or a tradition or a practice, but other synonyms include "rite", "ritual" and I like the idea of worship those carry, since it fit very nicely with the idea of рджреМрд▓рдд рдХреЗ рднреВрдЦреЗ

рдУ рдкрд╛рд▓рдиреНрд╣рд╛рд░реЗ ... рддреБрдореНрд░реЗ рдмрд┐рди рд╣рдореНрд░ рдХреМрдиреЛрди рдирд╣реАрдВ
What is a pieriansipist?
+Quote Post
r&d
post May 20 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1955

QUOTE(stuartnz @ May 19 2010, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(r&d @ May 19 2010, 02:34 AM) *

Rawajon == Tradition

Yes, рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛рдЬрд╝ is a custom or or a tradition or a practice, but other synonyms include "rite", "ritual" and I like the idea of worship those carry, since it fit very nicely with the idea of рджреМрд▓рдд рдХреЗ рднреВрдЦреЗ

Riwaaj is an urdu word. I am not sure why it would have connotation with worship.

urdu word ibadaat is worship.
+Quote Post
stuartnz
post May 20 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(r&d @ May 20 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Riwaaj is an urdu word. I am not sure why it would have connotation with worship.

urdu word ibadaat is worship.

Translation is largely art of course, not science. I wasn't saying that рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛реЫ = "worship" I was commenting on the fact that some of the words that can be used to render "рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛реЫ" in English carry connotations or hints or worship and that seems apt to me in the context of the rest of the verse.

What is a pieriansipist?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
sandyk   An Attempt At Translating The Song From Pyaasa   Feb 23 2006, 05:34 AM
Pradeep   Nice translation, thanks Sandyk.   Feb 23 2006, 08:45 AM
bawlachintu   Wonderful attempt Sandy. Continue writing more. Th...   Feb 23 2006, 10:30 AM
sandyk   Wonderful attempt Sandy. Continue writing more. T...   Feb 23 2006, 03:27 PM
usrafian   Great work Sandyk :clap1: Beatiful translation ...   Feb 23 2006, 11:17 AM
asad   Here I would like to elaborate some more meaning ...   Mar 1 2006, 01:12 AM
bawlachintu   Sandy, will you please translate : Ek shehanshah ...   Feb 26 2006, 05:36 PM
asad   Sandy, will you please translate : Ek shehanshah...   Mar 1 2006, 01:26 AM
sandyk   I do apologise for any errors that I might have ma...   Mar 1 2006, 05:43 AM
bawlachintu   [color=#006600]First a meaning of few of the wor...   Mar 1 2006, 10:22 AM
asad   mazar-e-ulfat - a monument symbolising love Gr...   Mar 1 2006, 03:41 PM
sandyk   mazar-e-ulfat - a monument symbolising love G...   Mar 1 2006, 04:38 PM
asad   [quote name='asad' post='227066' date='Mar 1 2006...   Mar 1 2006, 09:05 PM
sandyk   [quote name='asad' post='227066' date='Mar 1 200...   Mar 1 2006, 10:12 PM
bawlachintu   Sandy, will you please translate : Ek shehansha...   Mar 1 2006, 10:17 AM
asad   [quote name='asad' post='226815' date='Mar 1 2006...   Mar 1 2006, 03:33 PM
bawlachintu   Thanks so much Sandy. Waiting for another descript...   Aug 11 2006, 01:20 PM
stuartnz   PS: Remember songs/ poems and stories often mea...   May 18 2010, 12:26 PM
r&d   PS: Remember songs/ poems and stories often me...   May 18 2010, 08:04 PM
stuartnz   Rawajon == Tradition Yes, рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛реЫ is ...   May 20 2010, 06:20 AM
r&d   Rawajon == Tradition Yes, рд░рд┐рд╡рд╛рдЬрд╝...   May 20 2010, 07:56 AM
stuartnz   Riwaaj is an urdu word. I am not sure why it wo...   May 20 2010, 10:04 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:21 PM