Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Listing All Indo-western Fusion Group

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Listing All Indo-western Fusion Group
anurag
post May 19 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 550

Keeping gkshyam's exhortation to keep this forum going, here is an idea:

Let's use this opportunity to list and talk about various West based fusion groups/bands, which have incorporated elements of Indian classical music (both carnatic and hindustani) in their productions on a regular basis, so much so that they have almost given rise to a genre of its own.

Let me start with a few that I can readily remember:

1. Shakti and Remember Shakti (John McLaughlin - Acoustic Guitar, Lakshminarayana Shankar - Violin
Zakir Hussain - Tabla, Ramnad V. Raghavan - Mridangam, T. H. Vinayakaram - Ghatam and Mridangam, HPC - flute)

2. Suns of Arqa (creator and mentor Michael Wadada has been continuously investigating the supernatural potential hidden in the Classical Raga structure of the music of India. His mission – to mix the cerebral and illusive cosmological vibrations of Raga, with the mother earth rhythms of Niyabinghi drumming that were surfacing in England in the guise of Dub Reggae : http://www.sunsofarqa.co.uk/)

3. The Gayan Uttejak Orchestra (Laszlo Hortobagyi, the Hungarian ethnomusicologist)

4. Mynta (Indo-Swedish Group) Fazal Qureshi - tabla, kanjira Shankar Mahadevan- vocal, Santiago Jimenez (Cuba) - violin, keyboard, Max Ahman - acoustic guitar, Ola Bolthzen - percussion, Christian paulin - electric bass

I absolutely adore Mynta's creations. Very melodic and appealing.

5. Al Gromer Khan (disciple of Vilayat Khan)

6. dj Cheb i Sabbah (San Francisco-based world-music maestro fuses elements of ICM with his Jewish and Arab musical roots. I love their Shri Durga album.)

7. Krishna Fusion Band (Pravin Godkhindi - flute, Arun Sukumar - Drummer, Srinivas - Guitarist, Caleb - Bass Guitarist, Madhusudan - Tabla, Shivu - Mridangam)

8. And, my favorite group: Tabla Beat Science (Bill Laswell, Zakir Hussain, Trilok Gurtu, Karsha Kale, and Sultan Khan)

I suppose this is a good list to begin with. Please add more but let's keep the likes of Karunesh and Kula Shaker out of this since they don't make their music based on ICM.

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". I fear if I examined it, then according to Heisenberg uncertainty principle it would somehow change. After all, we are just particles.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post May 19 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 2035

Wow...Anurag Bhai!!!!! That was really so nice of you to put up that post........Hope more ppl like you continue in the right earnest.....and support the growth of this forum..... smile.gif

Two more names that I can add over here, of Fusion bands......that involve some really BIG names from ICM are:

SILK :Featuring Shankar Mahadevan, Louis Banks, Karl Peters, Sridhar Parthasarathy, Ranjit Barot etc.

BRAHMA: Featuring Kumaresh-Ganesh, Vikku Vinayakram, Selvaganesh etc.

MRIGYA: Featuring Sharat Chandra Srivastava (Violinist of Parikrama-Rock Band) and his group of guitars, Tabla, Drums etc...

These bands are based in India, unlike some of the names you took above, that feature Indian artistes, but are based abroad.

Apart from these......there are many, many fusion bands coming up all over India......some of them with really good stuff and mettle..... smile1.gif

PS: (I myself am a part of one such.....HEHEHE wink2.gif biggrin.gif )

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
anurag
post May 20 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

gkshyam, those are three good names that you added.

From the current crop of fusion groups from India, I absolutely like Indian Ocean and to an extent Medieval Punditz too. Which group do you work with and what do you play?

BTW, a small piece of advice. Please stop asking people to participate in this or that since if anyone is interested, he/she would participate anyway. One can't force the "growth of forum". You can create new and interesting threads and thus lead; ask specific questions; express your views; contribute the interesting news and trivia; talk about your own group and this would do enough in attracting people to this forum. Give it time, a bit of patience, and stick around. If there are no replies, don't get disheartened. People may be busy or simply uninterested at the time but sooner or later if they like this genre of music, they'd come and appreciate your passion for this kind of music.

Cheers.

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". I fear if I examined it, then according to Heisenberg uncertainty principle it would somehow change. After all, we are just particles.
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post May 21 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks so much for that nice piece of advice Anurag....Yes.....Patience is the key.......will develop some...hopefully.....wink2.gif Thanks for those encouraging words.....Did help a lot.... smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif

Well, I'm a part of an Instrumental Fusion band called "KASP", based in Mumbai. About 3-4 years old now, the band was started with the aim of 'participating' in inter-collegiate fusion competitions....But as time went by, with God's grace, and some decent bit of success, we decided to take the band ahead...... We do a few shows on and off, Still trying hard to get some good work and shows. Hoping for a good future.

Will post more about the band soon. Till then you may check out the following links:-

http://kaspfusion.tripod.com
http://rsjonline.com/bandlands/band.asp?ba...P&country=India

+Quote Post
anurag
post May 23 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Shyam, Your group seems to have a lot of potential. You guys also have won many competitions (including one at Moon Indigo) as I see. You play violin?

Why don't you upload some instrumental pieces of your groups for us to listen to? At least I'd love to listen to them.

I think some of the young groups from sub continent are creating good music. This is a far cry from the times when youngster only wanted to create cheap pop stuff for instant adoption by masses. Indian Ocean from India and Mekaal Hasan Band from Pakistan are two such groups which do not seem to be afraid of experimenting, be that in incorporating Indian Classical raga and tala based music, innovating with western riffs, trying new guitar chords, or in doing plain simple jamming. Indian Ocean's music on the banned film Black Friday is probably the best Indo-Western fusion from an Indian group based in India.

QUOTE(gkshyam @ May 21 2005, 06:58 AM)
Will post more about the band soon. Till then you may check out the following links:-

http://kaspfusion.tripod.com
http://rsjonline.com/bandlands/band.asp?ba...P&country=India

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post May 27 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Wow!!! Thanks a million Anurag......That really served as some good encuragement......Will upload some stuff for you....hopefully soon enough........ thumbs-up.gif smile1.gif

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jun 13 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Well Friends......I hve been long trying to upload some pieces by the band. I have three songs in video format (.wmv) Now that whole video is about 119 MB which makes it too large to upload. I would like to know if there's any way to just extract only th audio from that video file, which will serve the purpose, and also help in bringing down the file size, and assist in easier upload. Remember, that video file is in (.wmv) format. Do let me know if there's any software, or any other way to extract the audio from the video. smile1.gif

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jun 14 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Still no one to help me out?????? Any small advice would be really handy...... smile.gif

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 7 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Job done!!!! Check out the new thread at the Fusion Forum!!! smile1.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:39 AM