Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Talat Mahmood in Concert- Review

, LIVE at Royal Albert Hall

> Talat Mahmood in Concert- Review, LIVE at Royal Albert Hall
extenok
post Aug 7 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

A Review of Talat Mahmood in Concert
-Royal Albert Hall

Opinions/views expressed in this post are entirely my own, and are not to be construed as those of the site www.HamaraForums.com. I am not a music critic in any way, not having received any sort of musical training or musical education. I come to you equipped with two good listening ears. I'm simply a humble fan of Talat Mahmood.

Getting a once in a lifetime chance of being in the presence of a legend is indeed an honour. And the honour doesn't come cheap. True fans of Talat sahab's work, haven't been perturbed by the costs of this Live CD, which is being offered for the past few months now on his official website. Talat sahab's son, Khalid Talat Mahmood, is kind enough to put up rare, famous & non-film songs, all free of cost on the Velvet Voiced Wonder's website. This website "www.talatmahmood.com" probably receives visitors in the thousands, at least on a monthly basis. So, even after more than 35 years of his prime, Talat sahab's work is being appreciated, distributed, collected & revered by numerous fans throughout the world.

Related Websites:
Official Website- www.talatmahmood.com
Order CD- Talat Mahmood In Concert, Royal Albert Hall- Order CD

1. Hain Sabse Madhur Woh Geet Jinhein Ham Dard Ke Sur Mein Gaate Haen
Album- Patita
Year- 1953
M.D- Shankar Jaikishan
Lyrics- Shailendra
Duration- Original Version 3:55, Concert Version 3:47

I love Shankar Jaikishan's composition on the original song. My opinion has remained that live performances are more enjoyable if the artists can liven up the atmosphere. Fortunately or unfortunately for Talat sahab, his major share of popular songs are sad songs. This one not being an exception to that fact. The musical accompaniment's live performance sounds rather flat with some instruments missing, which reduces the general effect of the song. Maybe, if the singer took charge, this could've been a more powerful number. Talat sahab's live rendition is not very remarkable here. But, he does seem to try and break the mould at the end of the song. And, indeed, does receive thundering applause. So, maybe the effect of actually being at the concert is lost upon a listener.

2. Tasveer Tera Dil Mera Behla Na Sakay Gee
Album- Non Film
Year- 1944
M.D- Kamal Das Gupta
Lyrics- Faiyyaz Hashmi
Duration- Original 1944 Version ?:??, 1967's Version 3:13, Concert Version 3:25

This is not the first time for avid listeners of Talat sahab to listen to the combination of Faiyyaz Hasmi's words and Talat's voice. According to the official website, there have been fifteen other occasions when Faiyyaz Hashmi's words have been sung by Talat sahab. Some of the other Non-Film songs with these two and Kamal Dasgupta in the Music Director position are, Main Teri Chhabi Banaoonga, Sab Din Ek Saaman Nahin Tha, Soe Hue Hain Chand Aur Taare and Choudhvi Manzil Pe Zaalim Aagaya. Indeed, the combination is a good one. Lamenting his lover's absence, unable to be satisfied with a portrait of her, one hears touching lyrics as these,

Yeh Aankhein Haen Thehri Hui, Chanchal Woh Nigaahein
Yeh Haath Haen Sehmaye Hue, Aur Mast Woh Baahein
Parchaayein To Insaan Ke Kaam Aa Na Sakay Gee
Tasveer Teri Dil Mera Behla Na Sakay Gee

Talat mentions the popularity of this number saying, "Yeh gaana 1944 mein maine record kiya tha, aur aaj tak ussi tareekay se bik raha hae jaisay pehlay bika tha." When you listen to the concert version, vocally you won't feel a difference between the Talat sahab of 1967 and of that day. The only difference is in the first shaer that Talat sahab doesn't repeat for some reason,

(Mein Baat Karuun Ga To Yeh Khamosh Rahay Gee
Seenay Sae Laga Luun Ga To Yeh Kuch Na Kahay Gee)
x1 in CONCERT, x2 in original
Aaraam Woh Kya Daegee, Jo Tarhpa Na Sakay Gee
Tasveer Teri Dil Mera Behla Na Sakay Gee

The audience applaud and whistle for an encore, Talat sahab replies saying, "Abhi buhat sae gaanay gaana hae, aur waqt bhi buhat zyaada nahi hae, to ek hee gaanay per gaarhi* atak gayee to buhat mushkil ho jaye gee..." and moves on to the next song.

*gaarhi- (car)

3. Mera Jeevan Saathi Bichad Gaya Lo Khatam Kahani Ho Gayee
Album- Babul
Year- 1950
M.D- Naushad
Lyrics- Shakeel Badayuni
Duration- Original Version 3:23, 1980's Version 3:41, Concert Version 3:27

If Naushad created the perfect tunes for the golden era of HFM, only Shakeel Badayuni could transcend the mental boundaries involved in penning lyrics that would do justice to Naushad's perfect creation. Sahir Ludhianvi and Majrooh Sultanpuri might've also contended for that position, yet one seems to feel that it was a different kind of magic altogether. The composition is gloomy & haunting, the words mesmerizing. Talat sahab's singing, doesn't necessarily shine out in the original number. In my opinion, Talat sahab has been able to put a lot more of his soulful voice, the misery and longing it epitomizes, in to the 80's version. The concert version, ranks below the 80's version, on my charts. Owing to this being a popular number, even with its shortcomings, I doubt that anyone would care. This song would be listened to just as diligently, like any other Talat song, by every faithful admirer.

4. Mera Pyaar Mujhe Lauta Do
Album- Non Film
Year- 1940s
M.D- V. Balsara
Lyrics- Sajjan
Duration- Original Version 3:10, Concert Version 3:57

An anecdote that I would want to pass onto the readers here, someone from the audience shouts, "Mera Pyaar Mujhe Lauta Do" and Talat sahab replies, "Mein abhi lautata huun aapko, wohi maine nikaala hae lautaanay ke liye. buhat sahi waqt pe aapnay maanga, chunaachay, wohi waapis lee jiye aap, mera pyaar mujhe lauta do". Talat sahab mentions the lyricist fondly here. While also telling the musicians that the music is a little loud.

The original song is enshrouded with layer upon layer of sadness thanks to the resonance of Talat sahab's voice touching a recognizable chord in our heart. The music is fairly simple and is not once let to overcome or overpower the song. The melody is only secondary infront of the magic of the singer. It is put in the background with Talat sahab's young voice being the main force carrying this song forward. Lyrics are not the forte of this song, yet somehow this seems as a trendsetting song. The emotions and sentiments have oft been repeated since then, by many a singers following Talat Sahab's times.
The live version for me ranks much above the original. The original song seemed calm and composed. The original captured the sound & a certain hidden texture of Talat Mahmood's voice that somehow resembles that of Mohammad Rafi of the initial days. The concert version is preferred over the studio version for the simple reason that it shows growth on part of Talat Sahab as a ghazal singer.
The sound rises to a high-pitch and creates a momentary unpleasant effect at the high note touched at the Mere Sapnon Ko Lauta Do portion of the song, a very minute error. Rest assured, there are no glitches after this minor setback. And Talat sahab seems at ease throughout the song.

Thukraanay Se Pehlay Mujhko Lauta Do Woh Preet Kee Baatein
Meri Hansi, Mastiyaan Meri, Lauta Do Woh Chaandni Raatein
Mere Sapnon Ko Lauta Do, Mera Tuuta Dil Lauta Do

5. Yeh Hawa Yeh Raat Yeh Chandni, Teri Ek Adaa Pe Nisaar Hae
Album- Sangdil
Year- 1952
M.D- Sajjad
Lyrics- Rajinder Krishan
Duration- Original Version 3:17, Concert Version 3:34

Sajjad Hussain used Talat only in a few movies besides Sangdil, namely, Preet Na Jaane, Shikwa and Rustam Sohrab. This song probably being the most famous out of all of the collaborations between the two. The lyricist Rajendra Krishan's beauty lay in the simplicity of his words. Here was a poet who didn't craft prose to explain situations based on complex philosophies. The underlying theme was never forgotten, and the lyrics were always on the mark. This ballad seems so beautiful even with its cliched lyrics.

Tujhe Kya Khabar Hai O Bekhabar, Teri Ek Nazar Mein Hae Kya Asar
Jo Ghazab Mein Aaye To Qaehar Hai, Jo Ho Meharbaan To Qaraar Hai
Mujhe Kyuun Na Ho Teri Aarzuu, Teri Justujuu Mein Bahaar Hai

Here is Talat sahab, taking the audience out for an enchanted trip on a pleasant moonlit evening, with the music accentuating the voice and the lyrics providing comforting support. The concert version for me doesn't stand out in any special way. A perennial classic which will be appreciated, nevertheless.

6. Humse Aaya Na Gaya, Tumse Bulaaya Na Gaya
Album- Dekh Kabira Roya
Year- 1957
M.D- Madan Mohan
Lyrics- Rajinder Krishan
Duration- Original Version 3:23, Concert Version 4:06

Strong melodious compositions were a hallmark of Madan Mohan. Rajinder Krishan's words strike a chord at every step. Talat sahab starts, falters for a moment, regains control and then beautifully carries the song forward. The music, as in the original, is given secondary importance. Talat sahab's voice & the wordings take centre stage.

7. Koi Nahi Mera Iss Dunya Mein, Aashiyaan Barbaad Hae
Album- Daag
Year- 1952
M.D- Shankar Jaikishan
Lyrics- Shailendra
Duration- Original Version 4:28, 1980's Version 3:03, Concert Version 2:52

A powerful song created by Shankar Jaikishan, for the lyrics, the imagery and the voice. Other hits of Talat Mahmood from this album were of course, Aye Mere Dil Kahin Aur Chal and Hum Dard Ke Maaron Ka. The song, Aye Mere Dil Kahin Aur Chal also features on this concert album. The original was like a roller coaster ride into pessimism, despair, hopelessness and misery. The lyrics, reminiscent of bitter-sweet realities of life that everyone of us has faced, at one point or another.
The original was almost 4 and a half minutes long. The concert version has been shortened to just 3 minutes. Talat sahab does not sing the following stanza,

Suukh Chukay Haen Aankhon Ke Jharnay, Luut Liya Humein Daagh-e-Jigar Ne
Phuul Nahi, Yeh Zakhm Khilay Haen, Aasmaan Sayyad Hae

The 1980's version sounds slightly better than the concert version. There is something about this classic melody that just doesn't show up in the live version. I don't claim to have a very distinguishing ear, so, my only thoughts on this would be that the music seems lacking. Talat sahab as usual, comes out sounding the same as he did on the 1980's version.

8. Itna Na Mujhse Tu Pyaar Barhaa
Album- Chhaaya
Year- 1961
M.D- Salil Chowdhry
Lyrics- Rajendra Krishan
Duration- Original Version 3:19, Concert Version 4:00

The lyrics of this song have a beautifully melancholic touch to them. Talat's voice in the original song comes streaming through with the purity and pathos of an unfortunate man, looking at his life realistically, with a crystal clear point of view. The cliched wordings of sad songs that might remind you of a more popular number by one of Talat's contemporaries are non-existent and simply don't apply in this case. In those days, sad songs got the royal treatment.
The live version, starts enthusiastically with the most easily recognizable tune. Though Talat sahab might be humming the words of the sad version, the music simply belies the sentiment. Both Talat sahab & the music, enthuse a strange energy in the audience with this rendition and the sounds of accompanying claps from the audience are clearly audible.
Talat sahab here does something rather astounding, adding a new twist to the famous song at the end, as under.

Mein Jhoom Raha Huun Masti Mein, Mehmaan Huun Teri Basti Mein -2
Ek Baar Gaya To Kisko Khabar, Ek Baar Gaya To Kisko Khabar,
Mein Aa Na Sakuun Phir Dobaarah, Itna Na Mujhse Tu Pyaar Barha

I might have been unfortunate enough not to hear this in the original recording, if it really was there, to begin with. Or simply, this is something new that was not available in the initial release. The original songs had two versions, one the solo, sad version sung by Talat Sahab. The other, a duet with Lata, which I'm not very fond of, simply for the reason of it being a happy-song, per se. This live version of Talat sahab's probably ranks very close to the original sad version for me. Talat sahab voice exudes energy on some level to make everyone sit up and take notice.

Continued in next post ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
extenok   Talat Mahmood in Concert- Review   Aug 7 2004, 06:11 PM
extenok   Continuation of A Review of Talat Mahmood in Conce...   Aug 7 2004, 06:16 PM
extenok   Adding samples of some live performances in SKS se...   Aug 7 2004, 09:02 PM
cinemaniac2   superb work boss. u are a true fan. TO ALL MUSIC...   Aug 7 2004, 09:52 PM
extenok   Very true. CM, I suggest you try out the samples...   Aug 7 2004, 10:01 PM
billu   Great Work. Must appreciate your knowledge and...   Aug 7 2004, 11:13 PM
Talaikya   Once again, I am in awe of true fans! I don...   Aug 8 2004, 09:14 AM
mohd2004   Excellent review and thanks for the great effort. ...   Aug 8 2004, 10:06 AM
myawan   Imran you have done a great job to write this revi...   Aug 8 2004, 11:46 AM
extenok   I thank all of you, CM, BB, T, Mohd, Awan in takin...   Aug 8 2004, 07:18 PM
priya   Whhoooooooooooooooooooooo this is some review...   Aug 10 2004, 12:28 AM
extenok   Thank you for reading & appreciating. I do...   Aug 10 2004, 05:23 AM
unni   Extenok's review of the CD of Talat-sahab...   Aug 10 2004, 07:31 PM
priya   Come to think of it I too have a preference for ...   Aug 11 2004, 12:32 AM
unni   After conducting extensive research on this subect...   Aug 11 2004, 06:07 AM
extenok   Unni, thank you for the kind words. Your support, ...   Aug 11 2004, 06:39 AM
anurag   Unni, I feel absoultely jobless at the moment so...   Aug 11 2004, 06:54 AM
rom   Extenok, Hats off to you, mate. I hadn't come...   Aug 11 2004, 04:25 PM
extenok   rom, Thank you for reading the article thoroughly...   Aug 12 2004, 06:42 PM
iqbal   An excellent article Extenok, a pleasurable read.   Aug 12 2004, 07:33 PM
rom   Extenok, I always believed it was 'gham',...   Aug 12 2004, 08:00 PM
unni   Extenok: "I do like happy songs. Just that, h...   Aug 12 2004, 08:06 PM
extenok   Unni, I wouldn't call your discoveries frivolo...   Aug 12 2004, 08:52 PM
cinemaniac2   hey i love this. u guys are going deep in this ly...   Aug 12 2004, 11:09 PM
Talaikya   .... Methinks, I am going to have to invest in ...   Aug 13 2004, 09:05 AM
extenok   Easy CM. Its the second option.   Aug 13 2004, 10:07 AM
anurag   I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with what Un...   Aug 13 2004, 11:59 AM
extenok   I think I've already mentioned why "sad s...   Aug 14 2004, 01:55 PM
unni   While on the subject, I feel that in terms of happ...   Aug 14 2004, 06:44 PM
priya   Wow yeh to poora thread ban gaya happy/sad songs p...   Aug 15 2004, 12:24 AM
unni   BTW Unni in all this maine apne matlab ki ek cheez...   Aug 15 2004, 03:25 AM
priya   Oh ya how silly of me :doh: --could not place it a...   Aug 15 2004, 11:23 PM
Nimii   Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtenok!! maaaaaaaaaaafi de ...   Aug 16 2004, 08:46 PM
Nimii   My comments at the end of every song detail - N...   Aug 17 2004, 09:12 AM
Chitralekha   Nimu, some songs are uploaded at URL Talat Mahmood...   Aug 17 2004, 09:22 AM
Nimii   Contd... from my 1st post - N :)   Aug 17 2004, 09:37 AM
Sharad   Terrific job mr. extenok i will print that out and...   Aug 20 2004, 05:08 AM
extenok   Sharad, Whats also very interesting is the fact t...   Aug 20 2004, 07:14 AM
Chitralekha   Abhi itne saare logon ne itni taareef kee hai Imra...   Aug 20 2004, 09:31 AM
extenok   Madam C, It is always an effort on my part not to...   Aug 20 2004, 09:59 AM
anurag   C and E, playing Mr teacher here, coming from a ...   Aug 20 2004, 12:04 PM
Nimii   C and E, playing Mr teacher here, coming from a H...   Aug 20 2004, 12:09 PM
anurag   Nimii, kahte hain naa ki khaalee dimaag shaitan ...   Aug 20 2004, 12:18 PM
extenok   Nimii, sorry for the late reply. But, here goes no...   Aug 20 2004, 12:18 PM
Nimii   Imran!!!!!!!!...   Aug 20 2004, 01:00 PM
Chitralekha   Forgot to put a smiley :P after the first paragr...   Aug 20 2004, 08:33 PM
unni   Chitralekha & Anurag: I found this curious a...   Aug 21 2004, 08:27 AM
Nimii   Chitralekha & Anurag: I found this curious a...   Aug 21 2004, 08:32 AM
unni   As it is I am being branded as an ogre on the look...   Aug 21 2004, 08:43 AM
Chitralekha   Chitralekha & Anurag: I found this curious a...   Aug 21 2004, 07:44 PM
anurag   Unni I think after studying "The Odyssey of...   Aug 21 2004, 08:50 PM
unni   Anurag: Thanks for that research. I found it both...   Aug 21 2004, 10:05 PM
Nimii   Chitz which movie is this?? Mp3 chahata hai?? ...   Aug 22 2004, 06:49 AM
anurag   Unni, you may find what follows interesting. I r...   Aug 22 2004, 03:26 PM
Nimii   Well in tamil Gambhiram means "Heavy set...   Aug 22 2004, 03:31 PM
priya   Anurag if U had studied that mandatory work care...   Aug 22 2004, 05:04 PM
unni   Preoccupied as I've been with the lofty matte...   Aug 22 2004, 05:50 PM
priya   ROFL :rollf: Cannot imagine Dilip saab swinging f...   Aug 22 2004, 06:57 PM
unni   You have just bitten yourself! :blab: Thou ...   Aug 22 2004, 07:05 PM
priya   Wrong on both counts Unni miyan. I was not the one...   Aug 22 2004, 07:11 PM
unni   [i]"ATAVISTIC"? I am now convinced that...   Aug 22 2004, 07:59 PM
priya   Lol lol our avuncular uncle--has a nice assonant r...   Aug 22 2004, 09:35 PM
unni   Shukar hai "assonant" kaha and not ...   Aug 22 2004, 10:42 PM
priya   If the cap fits wear it ;) Haan Talat saab ke su...   Aug 22 2004, 11:19 PM
Chitralekha   Chitz which movie is this?? Mp3 chahata hai?? N...   Aug 23 2004, 12:36 AM
vsv   The Music Director of Baradari is NOT Naushad but ...   Aug 26 2004, 03:41 PM
extenok   vsv, Thank you for reading so thoroughly. I can...   Aug 26 2004, 06:41 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:42 PM