Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Three Reigning Queens

, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis

> The Three Reigning Queens, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

The Three Reigining Queens

One was a beauty queen. Madhubala was her screen name. The other was a tragedy queen. She was known as Meena Kumari to the movie fans. The third one was a romantic queen. She was known as Nargis. All three more or less came into the movie field just about the same time. All of them started as child artistes. They shaped the industry with their charismatic personalities. They showed how to smile, how to bear pain, and how to fall in love. Their personal lives were marred with tragedies. They died very young.

They set aside thier own problems to entertain us in their own inimitable way. They ruled the Hindi film world for nearly three decades, each in her own way. In the next few months we will take a look at the songs from their albums more closely.

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Mar 28 2010, 10:26 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
64 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Madhubala – The Beauty Queen

Born on the Valentine’s Day in 1933, like a beautiful rose Madhubala lived only for a short period of time but not before spreading her fragrance all over. She was just young 36 when she passed away. But with a smile that could light up thousand buildings she entertained film audience with her alluring radiance. Born with a hole in her heart, a birth defect that eventually took her young life, she took acting assignments enduring endless pain so that she could support her loved ones.

Madhubala entered into the movies when she was only nine years old. She acted in many movies with her given name Mumtaz (in movies as Baby Mumtaz). Her very first film in 1942, “Basant”, was a huge success. It was great Devika Rani christened her as Madhubala when she took up assignment to act as a heroine when she was barely 14. Her tall and beautiful figure belied her age. Her first adult assignment was in Kidar Sharma’s “Neel Kamal”, opposite Raj Kapoor.

Her first huge success as an adult star came in 1949 as the heroine of “Mahal” opposite Ashok Kumar. This movie catapulted Madhubala to be a bankable star. It also gave Lata Mangeshakar recognition and a name to be remembered for her rendering of that great song “Aayega Aanewaala”.

Madhubala’s congenital heart ailment caused severe problems with her shooting assignments. She was so ill that many times people saw her vomit blood. It was during the shooting of Vasan’s (of “Chandralekha” fame) “Bahut Din Huwe” she became extremely ill. Vasan and his family kept it as a secret and groomed her back to good health. Madhubala was ever grateful to Vasan for this gesture. A thoroughly private person, she attended the premiere of “Bahut Din” as goodwill towards Vasan.

Her beauty and fame did not go unnoticed by Hollywood. Magazines over their published her pictures and stories. Frank Capra (of “It Happened One Night” fame – “Chori Chori” in Hindi) when in Bombay met Madhubala and wanted her to star in his next project. However, Madhubala’s father was dead against this idea and said a firm “no” to Capra.

In need of money to support her family, Madhubala indiscriminately went on signing for movies that didn’t help her reputation as a serious actress. During this time she was also romantically involved with Dilip Kumar. But their marriage never materialized because Madhubala’s father was against it. She was signed to star opposite Dilip in B.R. Chopra’s “Naya Daur (1957)” but after the movie made some progress she decided to withdraw at her father’s insistence. Her father felt that the extensive outdoor shooting planned for the movie was just another pretext for Dilip to be with Madhubala. Upset, Chopra went to the court. Kumar testified against Madhubala in the court proceedings. She lost the case. Her pride and reputation were irreparably damaged because of this episode.

In 1960, “Mughal-E-Azam”, gave her a brief reprieve. She was magnificent as a doomed lover. Her beauty dazzled not only Salim but the cinegoers all over. But all this came at a price. She was performing some intimate romantic scenes in the film with her estranged lover Dilip. This was taking a heavy emotional toll on her. The movie also demanded her to be in shackles some time and Madhubala who was already in frail health has to endure this physical taxation. This she never complained to the director Asif who had no clue that she was having serious such health problems. A true professional she was, she carried the demands of her role with great aplomb and no complaints.

Madhubala married Kishore Kumar in 1960. Neither side of the families were happy with this. Though married, they hardly lived together. Never happy in her personal life, and always of very frail health, Madhubala died because of the complications resulting from heart condition in 1969, shortly after her 36th birthday.

Madhubala made some 70 plus movies in her career. She left behind the legacy of a truly professional performer who was very private in many ways. She lighted millions of fans with an infectious smile that usually burst into an unforgettable laughter.

In the next few months we will look at the songs from the movie albums in which Madhubala starred. I don’t have her early work, but from late 40’s I have most of her albums in CDs that I can share. I am hoping that the Forum members can contribute songs for the missing albums.

Here is Madhubala's filmography ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Aug 10 2009, 11:13 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Madhubala's Filmography

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Aug 10 2009, 11:15 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Meena Kumari - The Tragedy Queen

Here is another legendary queen who lived to be only 39 years old. Yet, in a film career that began as a child star when she was only seven, she went onto act in over 90 movies.

She was born to a Muslim father and a Hindu mother and was named Mahajabeen Bano. She was renamed as Baby Meena for her first movie “Leatherface” that was directed by Vijay Bhatt who will eventually cast her in that great musical “Baiju Bawra (1952)”.

Baby Meena’s early career was dominated by either mythological or fantasy movies. But it was “Baiju Bawra” that got her name and recognition. She was the first actress to win the Filmfare ward for her role. The role of Baiju led to many more such roles where she portrayed a suffering woman. She did manage to act in few lighthearted movies like “Azaad (1955)” and “Kohinoor (1960)”.

But the movie she will be remembered forever is “Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam (1962)”. As Chhoti Bahu, her landmark performance in the movie is considered to be one of the greatest by a professional actress in Indian cinema. Ironically, the role she played in this movie closely resembled her personal life, that of neglect, tragedy, and alcohol use.

Meenaji was married to the writer and director Kamal Amrohi who was many (15) years senior to her. Together they planned to make “Pakeezah”. They started working on this movie in 1958. But many things happened and the shooting was completely stopped. Meena Kumari and her husband got separated and eventually from each other.

Shattered with the divorce, Meenaji took to drinking. Soon she became addicted to alcohol as it was the only channel through which she was able to find some solace. To break the stalemate, Nargis and Sunil Dutt took the initiative and convinced Meenaji and Amrohi that they should complete the movie. Despite her failing health, Meenaji finished the film. After 14 years in the making, the movie was finally released in February 1972. Movie wasn’t a success when it was released. But a month after the movie hit the screens, Meenaji died in March 1972, from complications resulting in her heavy drinking that resulted in liver cirrhosis. After her tragic death, the movie “Pakeezah” took off. It became one of the biggest hits of her career.

In the next few months we will look at the songs from the movie albums in which Meena Kumari starred. I don’t have her most of her early work from 40’s but starting from late 40’s I do have albums in CDs that I can share. I am hoping that the Forum members can contribute songs for the missing albums.

Here is Meena Kumari's filmography ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Meena Kumari's Filmography

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nargis - The Romantic Queen

Nargis was born in 1929 as Fatima Rashid. Her father was a Hindu and her mother a Muslim. She appeared as a child star when she was six years old in the film “Talash-E-Haq”. She acted in the movie as Baby Nargis. But she didn’t star in earnest until her next movie, “Tamanna”, in 1942 when she just turned a new teenager. Her first adult role was in Mehboob’s “Taqdeer” made in 1943. Her costar was Motilal.

As a romantic lady, she made many movies with Raj Kapoor, altogether 16 of them that is almost 30% considering that Nargis made only 50 plus movies in her professional acting career. But Nargis will be remembered for one role for the movie “Mother India (1957)”. In this movie, she gave a performance of her lifetime where she goes through many phases of life from a young bride and old mother. She won accolades and awards throughout the world for one of the greatest performances by any actress Indian movies has seen. She won the best actress award for her role at Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. She still is the only woman to achieve that distinction.

After ending her apparent affair with Raj Kapoor, she married the fellow actor Sunil Dutt. Soon after the marriage she acted only in few movies. She returned to act in 1967 in “Raat Aur Din” a film her brother actor Anwar Hussain produced. She won the inaugural National Film Award for Best Actress for her performance in that movie. Incidentally, Nargis was the first movie personality to be honored with the Padma Shri award. She was also nominated to the Rajya Sabha.

Wit her husband she formed a cultural troupe whose mission was to go to frontiers to entertain Indian troops. The troupe successfully recruited many popular singers and actors for these performances.

Nargis developed pancreatic cancer. She was treated in New York but without much success. She returned to India but her ill health took her last breath away in 1981. She would have been 52 in another month. Her death came two days before her son, Sanjay Dutt’s, first movie “Rocky” was released. Sunil Dutt established a Cancer Foundation in her memory. The Foundation promotes research and development to find the cure for cancer.

In the next few months we will look at the songs from the movie albums in which Nargis starred. I don’t have her early work, but from late 40’s I have most of her albums in CDs that I can share. I am hoping that the Forum members can contribute songs for the missing albums.

Here is the filmography of Nargis ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nargis' Filmography

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 10 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Madhubala) Basant (1942)

This was Madhubala's first movie as a child artiste. She used her real name Baby Mumtaz for the movie. The music for this movie was credited to Pannalal Ghosh. Apparently it was Anil Biswas who composed the music. May be some of our expert members can elaborate on this.

Thanks to a friend of mine, I was able to secure most of the songs for this movie. Unfortunately the quality is so terrible, I have decided not to upload them. Only two songs have better quality. I will upload these. I am giving the complete listings of the songs below. If anyone is interested, I can upload the other songs.

Here is a description of the songs from which I am uploading "Hua Kya Qasoor" and "kaanta Laagi". Rest of the songs are available on request ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Aug 11 2009, 11:00 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
maheshks
post Aug 11 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1790

Swarpriyaji,

Some corrections are required in the above post.

1. Mumtaz Shanti wife of Wali Saheb was the heroine of this movie and
the central character.

2. The song hua kya qusoor....was sung by Amirbai Karnataki and picturised
on Pramila (Esther Abraham) who was crowned as first miss india in the
year 1947. She died a couple of years ago in Mumbai. Her life details
are available here:

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2006/aug/28sld1.htm

3. In the movie, the songs..humko hain pyaari hamaari galiyaan and
meri chhoti si duniya re....were also sung by madhu bala.

When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others
+Quote Post
taiyab53
post Aug 11 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8060

[attachmentid=290
339]
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 11 2009, 12:45 AM) *

(Madhubala) Basant (1942)

This was Madhubala's first movie as a child artiste. She used her real name Baby Mumtaz for the movie. The music for this movie was credited to Pannalal Ghosh. Apparently it was Anil Biswas who composed the music. May be some of our expert members can elaborate on this.

Thanks to a friend of mine, I was able to secure most of the songs for this movie. Unfortunately the quality is so terrible, I have decided not to upload them. Only two songs have better quality. I will upload these. I am giving the complete listings of the songs below. If anyone is interested, I can upload the other songs.

Here is a description of the songs from which I am uploading "Hua Kya Qasoor" and "kaanta Laagi". Rest of the songs are available on request ...

friends here are some more songs from this film.
one of them is the song sung by MADHUBALA JI in her own chidish voice
ENJOY
taiyab53
1)mere chhote se man main-madhubala-1.26 mins-192 br-pannalal ghosh
2)tumko mubarak ho--humko hain pyaari hamari-3.21 mins-192 br-parul ghosh-pannalal ghosh-pl snatoshi
3)balam dheere bol koi sun lega-42-basant-pannalal ghosh-parul ghosh & arun -3.06 mins-128 br
4)gori mose ganga ke paar milna-42-basant-pannalal ghosh-parul ghosh & arun kumar-pyarelal santoshi-3.35 mins-128 br
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Aug 11 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 10 2009, 10:39 AM) *

The Three Reigining Queens

One was a beauty queen. Madhubala was her screen name. The other was a tragedy queen. She was known as Meena Kumari for the movie fans. The third one was a romantic queen. She was known as Nargis. All three more or less came into the movie field just about the same time. All of them started as child artistes. They shaped the industry with their charismatic personalities. They showed how to smile, how to bear pain, and how to fall in love. Their personal lives were marred with tragedies. They died very young.

They set aside thier own problems to entertain us in their own inimitable way. They ruled the Hindi film world for nearly three decades, each in her own way. In the next few months we will take a look at the songs from their albums more closely.

Swarapriya

This thread is going to be the "Kohinoor" in the SKS crown. Can not thank you enough for starting this excellent topic. When I read your "Muse and Music" thread, the very first thought which came to my mind was why you did not include Meena Kumari ji and Madhubala ji, two of the most respected and talented artists of the golden era of Hindi films. Now you have fulfilled my dream request and and also added the ever expressive Nargis ji to this thread.

All the best wishes on this ambitious and entertaining topic you have started. Hope all the music lovers will flock to this thread and will also contribute the missing songs.

Warmest Regards
Parag

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Aug 11 2009, 08:43 AM

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 11 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(maheshks @ Aug 10 2009, 11:40 AM) *

Swarpriyaji,

Some corrections are required in the above post.

1. Mumtaz Shanti wife of Wali Saheb was the heroine of this movie and
the central character.

2. The song hua kya qusoor....was sung by Amirbai Karnataki and picturised
on Pramila (Esther Abraham) who was crowned as first miss india in the
year 1947. She died a couple of years ago in Mumbai. Her life details
are available here:

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2006/aug/28sld1.htm

3. In the movie, the songs..humko hain pyaari hamaari galiyaan and
meri chhoti si duniya re....were also sung by madhu bala.

Thanks for your pointers. I made the ciorrections to the table per your suggestions. Please kindly drop "ji" next time when you address me.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 11 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Aug 10 2009, 12:44 PM) *

friends here are some more songs from this film.
one of them is the song sung by MADHUBALA JI in her own chidish voice
ENJOY
taiyab53
1)mere chhote se man main-madhubala-1.26 mins-192 br-pannalal ghosh
2)tumko mubarak ho--humko hain pyaari hamari-3.21 mins-192 br-parul ghosh-pannalal ghosh-pl snatoshi
3)balam dheere bol koi sun lega-42-basant-pannalal ghosh-parul ghosh & arun -3.06 mins-128 br
4)gori mose ganga ke paar milna-42-basant-pannalal ghosh-parul ghosh & arun kumar-pyarelal santoshi-3.35 mins-128 br

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. Like I said in my write up, I already have these songs but they are not of good quality. Before I download these songs, can you give us a clue about the source of these songs and how good their quality is? I hope you don't mind for asking this question.

Thanks and cheers,
Swarapriya

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Aug 11 2009, 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 11 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Aug 10 2009, 08:11 PM) *

Swarapriya

This thread is going to be the "Kohinoor" in the SKS crown. Can not thank you enough for starting this excellent topic. When I read your "Muse and Music" thread, the very first thought which came to my mind was why you did not include Meena Kumari ji and Madhubala ji, two of the most respected and talented artists of the golden era of Hindi films. Now you have fulfilled my dream request and and also added the ever expressive Nargis ji to this thread.

All the best wishes on this ambitious and entertaining topic you have started. Hope all the music lovers will flock to this thread and will also contribute the missing songs.

Warmest Regards
Parag

Parag, you're a pal. Thanks and many cheers to you. -S
+Quote Post
bawlachintu
post Aug 11 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Tumko mubarak hon-Madhubala
128 kbps/ 2.03 Min

This post has been edited by bawlachintu: Aug 11 2009, 12:04 PM

Here is the best singer of universe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw ."

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:27 PM