Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bengali Songs By Geetaji

16 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bengali Songs By Geetaji
rinmaj
post Sep 26 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2402

1."Bhober Kheya Ebar Baoa"

2."Shochimata Go"

3."Rojoni Pohalo Shokhi"

4."Ekhono Dustoro Lojja"

5."Ekti Komol Phutechhilo"

6."Aay Re Chhute Aay"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rinmaj
post Sep 26 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

7."Podda Aamar Kohe Kende Kende"

8."Tomay Dekhechhi"

9."Rumjhum Jhornar"

10."Kotha Achhe Tumi Aaj Aashbe"

11."Hridoy Aamar Kicchu Jodi Bole"

12."Shudhu Ekbar Boley Jaao"

+Quote Post
sri
post Sep 26 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2760

Many many thanks, Rinki !!

smile.gif
Sri

"Jis din is duniya se nafrat aur khudgarzi mit jaayegi, us roz yeh insaan naachega, us roz yeh dharti gaayegi" - Rajinder Krishan (Maa baap 1959)
+Quote Post
rinmaj
post Sep 26 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

13."Jhiri Jhiri Choitali Batashe"

14."Janite Cheyechho Tumi"

15."Maatir Bhubone Jodi"

16."Akashjure Shopnomaya"

17."Ei To Holo Porichoy"

18."Bhulite Je Parina"

+Quote Post
rinmaj
post Sep 26 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(sri @ Sep 26 2006, 01:36 PM) *

Many many thanks, Rinki !!

smile.gif
Sri

You're most welcome,Sri.
+Quote Post
Raj Nandini
post Sep 27 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 539

Thank you very much for the songs. Do you've details of the songs?
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Sep 27 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

Rinki,

At loss of words to express my happiness !

clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
mahesh
post Sep 28 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 508

rinkiji,
thanks a ton for all these songs.it would be nice if you can provide some details about these songs[year,md,lyricist].
i believe all these are non-film songs.

regards,
mahesh
+Quote Post
bawlachintu
post Sep 28 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Thanks a lot Rinki

Here is the best singer of universe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw ."

+Quote Post
rinmaj
post Sep 28 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

You all are most welcome.

Please check the tags for the complete details of each song.
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Oct 6 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Here is an article on bengali songs of Geetaji :

http://www.columbia.edu/~gd18/GeetaDutt.html

Andante and Allegro of Geeta Dutt nee Roy

a tribute by Gautam Dasgupta

I sometimes wonder how much of our interest in the Bengali singers of the fifties and sixties is motivated by nostalgia alone. Though yearning for that long-ago era may play a large part in my mental return to the music of the past, I find myself hard-pressed to name a good song or singer since the golden period of Bengali Adhunik song. Adhunik Gaan, sometimes translated (incorrectly) as `modern song' can be more properly termed `contemporary song.' From a historical standpoint, Bengali Adhunik Gaan held its own against the more flamboyant and highly publicized the Bombay film hits of that period; ironically, many of the more successful music directors in the Bombay arena were themselves Bengali composers.

As the albums pile up in music stores and listeners are overwhelmed by the range of styles and artists on the market, I find it remarkable how many of these ìnewî releases are actually repackaged versions of my golden age favorites. My delight was unbounded when, perusing the offerings at one such place, I came across a collection of the much beloved Geeta Dutt. Rightfully called `the Immortal Geeta Dutt' on one karaoki album, she lives on in one Bengali and four Hindi CDs; I only wish that all of her Bengali songs were available on CD. The style of her song is such that it matters little whether the lyrics are in Bengali or Hindi. I have been told that her songs in Gujrati, Punjabi, and Marathi are equally beautiful.

I first heard Geeta Roy--as she was known then-- in the early fifties. By '53 or '54, I had heard the Puja record of Geeta Dutt singing Kanu Ghosh's compositions: "Ayere ayre chhute " and "Padma kohe." Since then, Geeta Dutt had one hit or the other almost every year. Sudhin Dasgupta, Anal Chatterjee, and Hemanta Mukherjee all wrote a number of melodies for her. In Bombay, Dutt's songs were composed by a number of notable Bengali music directors-- Sachin Dev Burman and Hemanta Mukherjee stand formost in my mind. Her brother, Mukul Roy, wrote very pleasant songs both in Hindi and Bengali. Kanu Roy, wrote some quiet and intense melodies that have been included within her top hit list.

At this point, it seems proper to step back and consider how many singers like Dutt have been lost to the new generation. The current dearth of Bengali radio stations has contributed to the virtual death of Adhunik Gaan. I found a number of Geeta Dutt's Hindi lyrics in the internet but I do not think there is any such archive site for Bengali lyrics. For Kanu Roy's composition of Kaifi Azmi's Aaj ki Kaalighata from Uski Kahani (1966) can be found on the web. I hope that someone will start it soon--perhaps someone old enough to remember golden era of fifties.

Here is a list of CD's I could find related to Geeta Dutt's music: (a) Best of Geeta Dutt, EMI, CD NF1 42050 (unfortunately the discography states wrong dates) --- eighteen Bengali songs; (sunglasses2.gif Geeta Dutt --- The Golden Collection, EMI CDF 131019/20, two CD set forty three songs; © Geeta Dutt -- Duets to Remember, EMI, CDF 1.32159 --- fifteen Hindi duets (d) Hits of Geeta Dutt, singer: Alaka Shankar, T-Series, SVCD 1108, sixteen Hindi songs; (e) Immortal Geeta Dutt, J-Series, JSCDSA 54011, double CD set, --- seventeen songs and karaoke tracks.

An article like this is never complete without some words of appreciation for Geeta Dutt's songs. I will restrict myself to her Bengali numbers and not comment on Hindi, Marathi and Punjabi songs here. For the interested readers to probe deeper into her artistry I will select a few songs from what is readily available in the market. I must confess that it is very difficult for me to write these words with such a heavy heart when her tragic incidents (real life andante) flash in front of my eyes. Surprisingly enough her songs are very upbeat and bright (creates an aura of allegro in me), including her numbers on uncherished love. I credit that to her singing which is always a breath of fresh air. I categorize her Bengali songs in three segments: (a) bright and full of virtuosity; (sunglasses2.gif deep emotional; and © melodic structure in focus.

For the first item I will select Sudhin Dasgupta's "Jhiri Jhiri Choitali Batashe" (ca. 1957). I bet very few Bengali singers would be able to accent the passages even if they try to imitate her. She sounds all through the bridge (Antara) very connected with admirable legato. Of course the accompaniment written by Sudhin Dasgupta is extremely appealing. On the other side of the 78RPM disc (I am not completely sure of it) appeared "Krishnachura Agun Tumi" --- Sudhin Dasgupta's melody and poet Batakrishna Dey's lyric --- which has very similar flavor. Her vocal passages are unique as reflected in "Ogo Amar Moner Chiro Udash Anmona" ca. 1960 (melody of Kanu Ghosh on Shyamal Gupta's words). "Sonay Dheke Anga" ca. 1967, falls in this class. Salil Choudhury's words brings a magic which Geeta Dutt renders with superb quality and Kanu Ghosh's music is exceptionally brilliant as it connects passages. This is very uncommon in Bengali compositions where mostly words in rhyme are assigned to notes in simple meters.

For Getta Dutt's emotional songs one of my favorite selections is "Sachi Mata Go" of ca. 1952 of Mukul Roy's melody predates the Hindi hit of Sailaab (1955). Basudeb wrote beautiful words which sounds very modern as it deals with women's issues dating back four thousand years. Towards the end of her career, ca. 1967, she performs one of her masterpieces, some what waltzy, "Jaak na Muchhe Jaak, melody by Kanu Ghosh on Salil Choudhury's words. These songs are real challenge to Indian singers. She blends her training in Classical Indian music with her imagination and contemporary feelings.

Geeta Dutt's melodic songs are mostly in slow waltz. The foremost is of Sudhirlal Chakraborty's music on Pabitra Mitra's words, "Brindabone Shyam Nai" ca. 1952. She hits the low notes in a superb manner which is rather unheard of from Indian singers. Passages dominated by minor keys are sung with full richness. Later, ca. 1960, Binod Chatterjees music on Pulak Bannerjee's lyric "Hridoy Amar Kichhu Jodi Bole" exposed a darker side of emotion.

Geeta Dutt is a singer of modern songs in the true sense of the word modern. Without Rabindra sangeet, Nazrul Geety, Atul Prasadi, and without much of Salil Choudhury, she has been able to make an everlasting impression. She is truly immortal.

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Oct 11 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi Rinki

Looking forward to the bengali film songs of Geetaji.

Please upload at your convenience !

Still the memories of "Nishi raat banka chand" are lingering in my mind...

Parag

+Quote Post
rinmaj
post Oct 13 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

1."Nishiraat Banka Chand Aakashe"(1957)

Film : "Prithibi Aamare Chaay" ; Lyricist : Pranab Roy ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

2."Jhonok Jhonok Konok Kankon Baaje"(1958)

Film : "Indrani" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

3."Ke Daake Aamay"(1961)

Film : "Swaralipi" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

4."Ei Mayabi Tithi"(1959)

Film : "Shonar Horin" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

5. "Tomar Eto Bhalobasha"(1961)

Film : "Modhyorater Tara" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Oct 13 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 1177

Thanks, Rinki, for all the uploads.
Much appreciated.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use - Galileo Galilei
+Quote Post
sri
post Oct 13 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2760

Thanks Rinki !!
clap1.gif clap1.gif

Sri

"Jis din is duniya se nafrat aur khudgarzi mit jaayegi, us roz yeh insaan naachega, us roz yeh dharti gaayegi" - Rajinder Krishan (Maa baap 1959)
+Quote Post

16 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:37 PM