Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Evergreen Lata Mangeshkar

, News, articles etc. about the nightingale

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evergreen Lata Mangeshkar, News, articles etc. about the nightingale
Sharmila-Sweet
post May 3 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75253

Golden memories

Lata Mangeshkar is set to create history with a rendition of Bahu asota sundara 50 years after she first sang it on Maharashtra Divas

By Subhash K Jha
Posted On Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 04:05:11 AM

It wasn’t only Ae mere watan ke logon that moved Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru to tears when Lata Mangeshkar sang the patriotic composition in front of him in 1962 in Delhi.

Two years before that, on the occasion of Maharashtra Divas in Mumbai, Nehruji was equally moved when he heard her sing Bahu asota sundara sampan ki mahaan. Half a century later, again for Maharashtra Divas celebrations, Lata Mangeshkar will be singing the same song, this time at the Shiv Sena Bhavan.

“I still remember Pandit Jawaharwal Nehru had come for the first celebration of Samyukta Maharashtra (United Maharashtra) 50 years ago on May Day,” said Lata taking time off between rehearsals a day before the event. “Was I nervous singing in front of him? When I’m singing, I forget the world around me.”

When she was asked to sing the song for May Day this year, Lata, who tends to forget the lyrics and tunes of even her most popular numbers, recalled every word of the song.

“It’s true that I have limited capacity to remember my numbers,” she laughs. “When people come and rave about this song and that song sung by me, I smile politely, clueless about what they are so gung-ho about. But this song, I remember in all its glorious detail, maybe because of the strong historical association with the birth of an independent Maharashtra and the struggle behind it.”

It has been a truly hectic month for the 81-year-old singing legend. On her father’s death anniversary on April 24, Lata gave the Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar Puraskar to Kajol.

Says the legendary songtress, “Among contemporary actresses, Kajol has always been my favourite. We wanted to honour her with the award in my father’s memory because she is so spirited, natural and no-nonsense. Quite like what I used to be when I was young.”

But aren’t Kajol and Ajay Devgan known to be fierce Asha Bhosle loyalists?

Lata dodges the question and says, “I don’t know about that. But Kajol gives me a lot of love and respect. I’ve sung some of my best songs for her aunt Nutan and mother Tanuja. And I also sang for Kajol in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. Maybe I’ll sing for Kajol’s daughter as well.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/201...n-memories.html

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post May 7 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

Lata-Shankar's Ode To 'Maharashtra Day'

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...ashtra-Day.html

Lata Mangeshkar and Shankar Mahadevan enthralled the crowd with their performances on 'Maharashtra Day'. Also present were politicians Bal Thackeray, Uddhav Thackeray and eminent historian Babasaheb Purandhare

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post May 25 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

The men who fascinate Lata
Subhash K Jha , May 23, 2010, 12.00am IST

Lata Mangeshkar tracks celluloid heroes and tells Subhash K Jha what she loves about them...

Amitabh Bachchan
I don’t know where to start when it comes to Bachchan saab. Jiss qadar woh zor se wapas aaye ... amazing! (I marvel at the way he bounced back after severe setbacks.) When it comes to perfection as an artiste, he’s 110 per cent perfect. Give him any role, and he slips into it effortlessly. I’ve never seen him repeat himself. He made me cry in Baghban. I recently saw Black and can’t get over his performance. Kamaal ke actor hain ... (He’s a fabulous actor). And he sings well too! I’ve listened carefully to Holi khele and Tu kahan main yahan in Baghban. They are in sur. Singing in sur is far more important than maintaining taal. His voice is God’s gift to him. His performances are impeccable.

On a social level, we meet once in a while. He’s charming and always talks with restraint. His pedigree is unquestionable. When I started singing in 1947, I began reading up on Hindi litterateurs including Premchand, Mahadevi Varma, Jaishankar Prasad and, of course, Harivansh Rai Bachchan. I’ve read Madhushala several times over; also his bulky autobiography which is a unique work of self-revelation. I don’t know whether Bachchan saab knows this, but I truly respect him and Jayaji. Mere dil mein unke liye khaas jagah hai. (They hold a special place in my heart.)”

Hrithik Roshan
“Hrithik has the fluidity and rhythm to move effortlessly through songs. I think he got this sense of rhythm from his grandparents. His grandfather was a great composer and his grandmother a very good singer. His uncle Rajesh Roshan is a well-known composer and even Hrithik’s father Rakesh has a very good music sense. His musical heritage comes alive in his dance moves. Hrithik’s a brilliant actor too. Woh itna sundar acting karta hai ki main hairaan ho jaati hoon. (I am stunned by his acting.) I think his greatest gift from God is that he looks very innocent. His eyes are so deep and transparent ... ”

Rishi Kapoor
“Everyone in Raj Kapoor’s family has a sense of music and rhythm. Rishi Kapoor carried the tradition of the dancing hero to a new height. He brought in a new style. He’s one of my all-time favourite heroes. Even today he looks so handsome. Is he my favourite Kapoor? Haan kahungi, kyun nahin? (I’d say yes, why not?) Now there’s Rishi’s son Ranbir Kapoor. I believe he’s wonderful. But I haven’t seen much of his work.”

Shah Rukh Khan
“I first saw Shah Rukh in a serial called Fauji. There was something special about him. Then I saw his film Chamatkar and later Deewana and Baazigar, in which he played a negative character. It was quite evident that Shah Rukh could play any kind of role. I remember him saying somewhere that he had no sense of rhythm and dance. But I saw him in Ruk ja o dil deewane in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and Chaiyyan chaiyyan in Dil Se. Ussmein itna sahi dance kiya tha unhone. (He danced so well in these songs.)”

Aamir Khan
“Aamir Khan is another favourite. I loved his dancing in Radha kaise na jale in Lagaan. In Aamir’s case every mannerism, including the dance steps, is dictated by the character he plays. He never steps outside the character’s orbit. That’s what I like about him.”

Richard Gere
“I spent one unforgettable afternoon with Richard Gere. And I personally took photographs of our meeting! I invited him to visit Dinanath Mangeshkar Hospital in Pune but he was in a hurry as he had to return to the US on the same night to be with his family for Christmas. What a simple and unaffected man. He was wearing a simple shirt with a pair of jeans. On his wrist was a tulsi mala which he probably used for his Buddhist chanting. I gifted him a statue of Buddha.”

+Quote Post
abhayp
post May 25 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Member No.: 335

QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ May 7 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Lata-Shankar's Ode To 'Maharashtra Day'

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...ashtra-Day.html

Sharmila, thanks a ton for posting this. I hold strong opinions about Lata's post-1975 singing, but hearing her sing the "shriimant yogii" song so well at age 80+ was an amazing experience!

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 4 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

^ You are most welcome Abhay smile1.gif

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 4 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

Muse-ical Score
Sanjay Leela Bhansali convinces Lata Mangeshkar to sing the track composed specially for her

Subhash K Jha

Posted On Friday, June 04, 2010 at 02:16:42 AM

Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s passion for music is universally known. And his love for Lata Mangeshkar is equally public. He has finally turned composer with Guzaarish and his fantasy of having Lata sing for him is coming true after years of patience.

A song to be sung by his muse and inspiration Lata Mangeshkar is a project that has obsessed and frightened Bhansali for years. He says, “I grew up listening to her sing. I cannot start my day without listening to at least some of her songs. I’ve been in awe of her for so many years that when I finally heard her record a song for Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s 1942: A Love Story, I was mesmerised. When she walked into the studio, time stood still. Ironically, the song she sang contained the lyric Samay ka yeh pal tham sa gaya hai.”

Lata Mangeshkar
Sanjay Leela Bhansali

It was then that Sanjay had decided he would one day direct a film and Lataji would sing for him. “No filmmaker’s creative vision can be complete without her voice,” says Sanjay.

Despite his ardent wish, Lata could not sing in Sanjay Bhansali’s Khamoshi: The Musical and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. For Devdas, Sanjay had actually set aside the situation in the script where Lata would sing. When again his desire was thwarted, Sanjay scrapped the situation and the song meant for Lata.

Maybe the Nightingale was destined to sing for Bhansali only when he turned music composer. Now that the director has turned into a full-fledged composer with Guzaarish, he has finally mustered the creativity and courage to compose a song for his idol. The song that he has composed for Lata is a soft and sensitive ballad about how precious the gift of life is.

He created the song over two years and has since then been polishing it to perfection. Now he is all set to record the number with her.

Says Sanjay, “Yes, I have the song for Lataji ready finally. But I have still not mustered up the courage to ask her to sing it for me. How can I ask her to sing for me? I have grown up hearing her voice. I learnt the emotions for direction from the way she sings. In Devdas, I asked Shreya Ghosal to copy Lataji’s style. I tell every singer male or female to refer to her. To now ask her to sing… my God!”

However, when Lataji hears about her biggest bhakt’s secret plan for her she is game for it. “Sanjay Bhansali has a great music sense. I loved his songs in Devdas. And that title song in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam is outstanding. Whatever he composes would reflect his fine aesthetic sense. Every capable director understands music. I believe that to be a complete filmmaker one has to know about every aspect of cinema,” says Lataji.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/201...ical-Score.html

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 21 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #37

Group Icon

Launch of Gautam Rajadhyaksha's book Chehere

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...here/index.html

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 28 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

'I knew him from the time he ran around in shorts'
By: Subhash K Jha Date: 2010-06-27 Place: Mumbai

Lata Mangeshkar remembers RD Burman on his 71st birthday

As far as female playback legends go, Lata Mangeshkar had the honour of having sung for both the Burman maestros -- father Sachin Dev Burman and son Rahul Dev Burman.

She recalls her initial encounters with RD. "I knew him from the time he would run around in his shorts. He was very naughty. When he came to me with his first song Ghar aaja ghir aaye badra in Mehmood's Chote Nawab, I couldn't believe he had grown up."

The 80 year-old legend recalls her first meeting with Panchamda. "He thrust his autograph book at me when I was recording for his father. Do you know what I wrote in the autograph book? 'Pancham badmashi chhod do' (Stop being naughty) He laughed and ran away. After that, I didn't see him for a long time. He didn't stay much with Burman Dada. He loved his naani and stayed with her more. "

While inviting Lata to sing his first composition, RD also managed to mend relations between her and his father SD Burman. "Yes, Burman Dada and I were not on talking terms. Out of the blue Burman Dada called and said, 'Kya hua tumko? Kyon naraaz ho?' I later came to know Pancham told his father not to fight with me because no one else could sing in the style that he wanted.

Comparing the son to the illustrious father Burman, Mangeshkar observes, "If he wanted, Pancham could've easily followed his father's style. But he followed a unique path. He observed the music and rhythms of African American musicians. He loved ghetto music."

Would it be right to say RD gave all the strong Indian melodies to Lata and the westernised songs to Asha?

"Pancham always gave the right song to both of us. He'd tell me, 'Whatever I compose for you, I can never let Asha sing, and vice versa. Therefore, a Raina Beeti Jaye or a Beeti Na Beetayi Raina came to me. And why just the classical numbers? RD gave me Bahon Mein Chale Aao, which I consider his career's best."

Recalling her special bond with RD, Lataji says, " He called me Didi. But I treated him like my son. When he got married to Rita, he told me to gift him a hand-written letter. He kept it all his life. When he had his first heart attack while recording a song, I was told about it by his associate Sapan Chakravarty. I broke down.

When Pancham heard about my reaction, he told me not to worry. When he had a heart surgery in London, I happened to be there. He sent me a message saying he wanted to meet me before surgery. I went to meet him in the hospital. He told me, 'I don't know what will happen to me. I wanted to meet you before surgery'."

Her rapport with RD remained unaltered even when he married Asha. "Pancham and I didn't expect anything from one another. He used to tell me things that he didn't share with anyone else." Mangeshkar sang both, RD's first and last tracks.

"The last I heard from him was when he asked me to sing Kuch Na Kaho in 1942: A Love Story. I was in Delhi when he passed away. I couldn't sing Kuch Na Kaho during his lifetime. I felt terrible when I recorded it without Pancham."

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 29 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #39

Group Icon

Lata regrets not meeting MJ
By: IANS Date: 2010-06-25 Place: New Delhi

Singing legend Lata Mangeshkar has expressed her regrets over not being able to meet late King of Pop Michael Jackson.

Remembering the Thriller hitmaker on his first death anniversary Friday, Lata wrote on her Twitter page, "My humble tribute to one of the greatest pop artists ever, Michael Jackson...may his soul rest in peace... I never got opportunity to meet him... I'll always have this regret in my heart..."

Jackson died due to a cardiac arrest on June 25, 2009 at his Los Angeles home.

This post has been edited by Sharmila-Sweet: Jun 29 2010, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jul 12 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

Midnight bikers ruining my sleep, song, says Lata

Unable to take the noise pollution, Pedder Road’s most famous resident says she’s contemplating moving out after 50 years

Subhash K Jha

Posted On Monday, July 12, 2010 at 02:35:37 AM

The deafening roar of bikes racing down Pedder Road in the dead of night is drowning out the country’s most famous voice. Lata Mangeshkar, who has been living in Prabhu Kunj building for 50 years, is finding it impossible to cope with the increasing noise pollution in the once-serene neighbourhood.

She is reportedly planning to move to a quieter part of the city.

A source close to the 81-year-old singer who also lives in the building said, “Didi’s health has been suffering because of the incessant traffic. Her first-floor apartment faces the street, which is teeming with cars and bikes all through the day and even at night. It is absolutely impossible to get a sound night’s sleep.”

Increasing 24X7 traffic may not unique to Pedder Road, but the problem here has been compounded with bikers on heavy-duty machines vrooming down at 100 kmph after midnight.

“Every time a biker races down Pedder Road and deliberately revs up his engine, the building vibrates badly. We remain awake all night, so does Didi,” says the source.

“This is not good given her frail condition. Sadly, no one seems to have raised any objections to this menace so far,” he added.

Mangeshkar has lived in this house with her sister Asha Bhosle for decades, before the latter moved out to stay with her son in Khar. “If things get worse, Didi too may move to her house in Lower Parel,” added the source. Sources in Prabhu Kunj say Mangeshkar has apparently started shifting her valuables out of her apartment. When approached, the Bharat Ratna awardee said, “I have shifted all my trophies and awards from Prabhu Kunj to our hospital in Pune. My three-bedroom flat couldn’t accommodate them any more. I’ve now taken over a small part of our hospital for private occupancy. There was no other option.”

She also admitted, “My health is getting affected by the noise. But at this stage in my life, I don’t know if I can stay anywhere else. I have lived here with my family for 50 years after all.”

Pedder Road, which is jam-packed all day, is a favourite haunt of bikers after 1 am

Additional CP (traffic) Brijesh Singh said, “There are 717 vehicles per km on Mumbai’s roads with 450 vehicles being bought every day. South Mumbai roads were not designed for this kind of traffic. When eminent citizens like Lata Mangeshkar raise the issue, it changes things at policy level. As far as bikers are concerned, we will take necessary steps with the help of local police and residents.”

As an artiste she should understand’

Biker Gangs were active on the Bandra reclamation stretch till April 2009 as the sea link was incomplete. While their stunts drew some appreciation initially, the police were soon flooded with complaints. After a crackdown the gangs have all but gone underground though late in the night they are still seen racing along Marine Drive and the Western Express Highway.

A college drop-out who helps his father fashion the choppers (modified bikes with exaggerated handlebars, mud guards, etc) told Mirror, “The thrill is unmatched. We invest much more than money in our bikes. This is our passion. As an artiste she should understand.”

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jul 14 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #41

Group Icon

Lata, Amitabh bond on Twitter
SUBHASH K JHA, Jul 14, 2010, 10.51am IST

Though social networking has its advantages and disadvantages the entertainment business has nothing to complain about. Not when Bollywood’s two living legends Lata Mangeshkar(LM) and Amitabh Bachchan (AB) are brought closer through their interaction on Twitter.

No doubt LM and AB have been very fond of one another for decades. In fact when AB reluctantly turned singer in the 1970s one of his first major songs was Yeh kahan aa gaye hum with Lataji in Silsila. Sadly the two legends could not record the song together.

Unable to meet frequently because of their individual commitments the two super-icons met sporadically at functions and public events where they get along like a house on fire. Both individually expressed their fondness for one another’s company and their regret at not bonding more often.

That lack of connectivity between AB and LM has changed. Thanks to Twitter where they exchanged messages. So delighted was AB to find his favourite singer on the micro-blogging site says, “The most gratifying moment on Twitter came when I got to interact with Lataji.”

The singing legend reciprocates by saying, “I am really happy to connect with Bachchan Saab through Twitter. I must admit it feels good to be in touch with him again.”

Says Lataji, “I don’t know if they know this. But I’m very fond of the Bachchans. Yes, Jayaji did tell me about the project when we met at a book release. I’m most grateful to both Amitji and Jayaji for always showering me with their love and affection. I’m glad I got an opportunity to connect with Amitji and the parivar through Twitter.”

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jul 20 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #42

Group Icon

Lata tai’s ‘trained’ voice

Virat A Singh

Posted On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 03:50:25 AM

The legendary Lata Mangeshkar might be miffed with the traffic cops but she's willing to make an exception for Railway officials.

Lata Mangeshkar with Satya Prakash

Latatai will be singing a song whose lyrics have been penned by Satya Prakash, Chief Operations Manager (COM) of Central Railway in Sanjay Sharma's film Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyun. Nikhil Kamath has composed the music of the film, which will release by August this year.

"It's difficult for me to explain my joy," says Satya Prakash. Prakash has written some books that have compilations of his poetry.

The officer is proud to have pursued his passion as diligently as his profession.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jul 23 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #43

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar - Pandit Jasraj duet for Marathi film
Neeta Kolhatkar / DNAFriday, July 23, 2010 1:00 IST

Mumbai: For the first time, two doyens of different genres — Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar and Padma Vibhushan Pandit Jasraj — will come together to sing a Marathi song.

The song is from a spiritual film, Aai Tuza Ashirwaad (blessings of mother), which has been directed by Madhura Jasraj, wife of Pandit Jasraj. Madhura, incidentally, is the daughter of legendary Marathi film maker V Shantaram.

The song, Om namo sukhdayini, is actually an aarti that was recorded at Swarlata Studios.

The song has also been sung once by Suresh Wadkar. Its music has been composed by Mayuresh Pai.

Pai said musicians consider it a privilege to compose for Mangeshkar, and with Pandit Jasraj also being there, it is a dream moment for him.

“Actually this is all very surreal for me. I have learnt music from Suresh Wadkar who is my guru. He has sung my song, and now it will be sung by the guru of all gurus, Panditt Jasraj, and the goddess Saraswati [Mangeshkar]. It appears as if the universe has conspired to bring me this dream moment,” Pai told DNA.

The film is already edited and it will be released on August 20.

+Quote Post
bawlachintu
post Jul 31 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #44

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Thanks Sharmila for nice info.

Here is the best singer of universe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw ."

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 2 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

Rahman pays homage to Lata at Wembley

Subhash K Jha

Posted On Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 03:49:18 AM

In an under-attended concert at the huge Wembley on Sunday evening(only 7,000 out of the 9,000 seats were filled) Rahman brought the house down when he paid a very unusual homage to Lata Mangeshkar. Rahman sang his most precious duet with Lata, Lukka chuppi from Rang De Basanti.

Images of Lata singing Lukka chuppi flashed on the monitor as Rahman joined her live at the stadium. The rendition brought the house down.

Apparently Rahman had flown into Mumbai to record Lataji’s voice and images. Says a source, “Lukka chuppi is one of Rahman’s favourite tracks. When he sings about a child being separated from his mother he actually feels he is singing about his own mother.

He wanted this song to be a part of his concert and he didn’t want a stand-in voice for Lata. So he recorded her singing the number live and sang along with the recording at the concert.”

+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:17 PM