Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Evergreen Lata Mangeshkar

, News, articles etc. about the nightingale

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evergreen Lata Mangeshkar, News, articles etc. about the nightingale
Sharmila-Sweet
post Nov 13 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75253

Composer Jatin salutes the incomparable Lataji.

Jatin, who with his brother Lalit, composed one of her memorable numbers in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, sings his favourite Lata Mangeshkar songs, including Tujhe Dekha Toh Yeh Jaana Sanam.

I met Lataji for the first time in the mid-1970s. I was seven or eight years old. My brother Lalit, sister Vijeta Pandit and I had gone to Laxmikant-Pyarelal's studio to sing a chorus with Lataji. I don't remember the film's name, but it was a children's song. I sang with Lataji for the first time.

I was a big fan of hers and always dreamt of making her sing for me some day. When we got Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, the producer asked us to approach Lataji to sing a song for the film.

I took my father Pandit Pratap Narayan to meet Lataji. He knew her; he had taught her brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar.

I explained to Lataji that a new boy would be acting in the film opposite Juhi Chawla. Lataji said she would sing the song, but wanted to listen to the tune. In the end, she did not sing the song as she was out of town during the recording. Alka Yagnik sang it instead.

Two years later, in 1994, when we were composing the score for Dev Anand's Gangster, Devsaab asked us which singer we wanted for the song, Maine Pyaar Kisi Se Kiya Kyun Kiya Mujhe Kya Pata, to be picturised on Mink. Lalit said Lataji.

Devsaab immediately called Lataji and asked her to sing for the film and she obliged. That was the first time we got Lataji to sing for us. We did another song with Lataji for Gangster, and later did Devsaab's Censor with her singing a song in it as well.

We got close to her only after Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. Lataji was completely involved in that project. She had also become familiar with our working style.

In an interview she did then, Lataji said 'Jatin-Lalit are this decade's intelligent composers'. That was the biggest honour we got from her. It has been our privilege to work with her.

There is a huge difference between Lataji's journey and ours. She has been working since the 1940s, and has worked with many composers. That's why we were nervous initially. How would we make her sing?

But by the time Dilwale... happened, we developed a good friendship with her. She would joke with us -- she has a great sense of humour. She's very mischievous, but her jokes are all clean ones.

Yashji (Chopra) would order food from Gaylords (a restaurant in south Mumbai). She would always ask us to eat with her, and want to order new dishes. She loves Chinese food. She was very caring.

Lataji would talk about her struggle in the industry. But I will not mention that now because this is her birthday and a happy time, not the time to discuss sad stories.

She would tell us how recording songs earlier used to take a lot of time, that it is faster now, but not easy for her. I think recording those days was tougher because they used to record the whole song at one go. Nowadays we record the song in parts, and then mix it.

Before singing a song, she always has Milan supari. She does not bite it, she just has the juice.

When we were recording Tujhe Dekha Toh Yeh Jaana Sanam from Diwale..., we were not getting the aalap right. It was getting late and Lataji was very tired.

She asked me to use one of the recordings she had done earlier in the evening. I requested her for one more recording. She was exhausted, but she agreed and gave her best shot.

Yashji and Pamji (Pamela Chopra, Yash Chopra's wife) and Sanjeev Kohli (the late composer Madan Mohan's son) were present. They were very happy.

When she finished, I touched her feet and apologised. She said nice work is only done through persistence. I think I pushed Lataji a lot that day.

As told to Patcy N

rediff.com

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Nov 16 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

God wanted me to sing: Lata
Subhash K Jha , MUMBAI MIRROR 28 September 2009, 08:52am IST

How do you define the journey?
I feel God has sent me to earth to sing. I started singing when I was five, but I don’t think I’ve worked as hard as many other people.

Why do you say you that?
After 1947 when I started playback singing, the work never stopped. Before that it wasn’t easy. I used to travel by train from Grant Road to Malad and then save money by walking instead of taking a tonga to the recording studios. I thereby saved 50 paise to Re 1 which I used to buy vegetables for my family. I was the sole bread-earner after our father passed away.

That must have been really tough on an adolescent girl.
I missed out on my childhood. I had to work hard, but I was immediately given a place in playback. One of the earliest composers to support me was Master Ghulam Haider. When he was told that my voice wouldn’t suit the heroine in a Dilip Kumar saab starrer Shaheed, he gave me songs in Majboor. Then other composers like Anil Biswasji, Khemchand Prakashji and Naushad saab came forward to sign me. From 1947 onwards there was no looking back.

There has never been a rough patch in your 65-year-long career?
I’m blessed. Nowadays I’ve almost stopped singing film songs but I enjoy singing and I continue to do the work I’m comfortable with like the recent Hamuman Chalisa and my forthcoming project with my brother. When I look back I see nothing I’d like to change.

What about your infamous rift with Mohd Rafi?
I’ll tell you what happened. We had a Musicians’ Association in the 1960s . Mukesh bhaiyya, Talaj Mehmood saab had started a campaign for artistes to get royalty so that they would have a comfortable old age. Main to leti thi royalty but I also wanted other artistes to get it. Rafi saab was instigated into opposing my campaign. In a meeting among musicians he said, ‘We get money for what we sing from producers and that’s the end of what we get.’ When he was asked his opinion Rafi saab turned to Mukesh bhaiyya and said, ‘I guess this Maharani here will say whatever has to be said.’

He meant you?
Yes. I said, ‘Of course I am a Maharani. But why are you calling me that?’ He said in front of everyone at the meeting that he won’t sing with me. I turned around and said, ‘Yeh kasht aap kyon kar rahe hain? Main hi nahin gaaongi aapke saath.’ I stormed out of the meeting and called up every music director to inform them that I would thereafter not sing with Rafi saab. We didn’t sing together for almost three years.

What about the alleged differences between you and your sister Asha Bhosle?
We’re sisters. The fights were because of her husband who was against me.

Composers gave all the heroines’ songs to you and all the supporting actresses’ songs to Ashaji ...
Not always. What about so many films where only Asha sang all the songs? In fact OP Nayyarji worked only with her. Even some of Burman dada’s scores had only Asha’s vocals.

That’s because you and SD Burman had a fight.
I didn’t sing for him for 14 years. Someone had caused mischief. Burman dada said, “I won’t have Lata sing my songs.’ I said, ‘I won’t sing for you.’ Asha sang all the songs for Burman dada during that period, even for Waheeda Rehman who insisted on me singing for her. Then one day out of the blue, Burman dada phoned me and said he wanted me to sing Mora gora rang lai le and Jogi jab se aaya tu aaya mere dware in Bandini. It was his son RD who brought us together. I remember Burman dada specifically told me that Mora gora rang was written by a promising new poet, Gulzar.

Who was your favourite composer?
I liked singing for Salilda (Salil Chowdhury) because his compositions were very challenging. I also loved singing for Sajjad Husain saab, then definitely SD Burman dada and RD. But in my opinion the biggest achievement was by Shankar-Jaikishan. With Raj Kapoor’s Barsaat they changed the way we looked at playback singing.

At one time you were accused of indulging in a melodious monopoly?
Once I was even asked if I tampered with the equipment during other singers’ recordings. Bataiye main kyon aisa karun? I never bothered with what other singers were doing. When Runa Laila came to India for the first time, I went to her first recording and everybody said I was just indulging in dikhawa, that in fact I had gone to see how she sang. Runa Laila met me with lots of affection. Later she too was poisoned against me. Even some male singers accused me of trying to stop them from singing.

Which heroines did you enjoy singing for?
Nargis, Meena Kumari, Madhubala, Nutan. I’d modulate my voice according to their personality.

Among today’s actresses for whom do you enjoy singing for?
I like Rani Mukerji and Kajol but I miss the camaraderie that I shared with the earlier heroines. I miss that mahaul. I really miss Kishore Kumar, also Rafi saab, Mukesh bhaiyya, Shankar-Jaikishan and Madan bhaiyya who fought with me when I couldn’t be with him for raksha bandhan. That sense of apnapan is gone.

Any unfulfilled dreams?
I wish I had given more time to learning classical singing. Lekin jo hua woh bahut hi achcha hua. What I want is that future generations of Mangeshkars keep my father’s legacy alive. My niece Radha and nephew Baijanth are singing well. I wish they make a name for themselves.

Do you miss having your own children
Not at all. My siblings’ children are mine.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Dec 2 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

French are a class act: Lata Mangeshkar
SUBHASH K JHA 1 December 2009, 06:23pm ISTText
Lata Mangeshkar

God continues to shower largesse on me, the Nightingale says on receiving the Legion d’Honneur. Lata Mangeshkar More Pics

She has won every award worthy of her stature including the highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, in our country. Yet, when the French displaying impeccably good taste as always decide to confer their highest cultural award the Officier de la Legionne d’Honneur on Lata Mangeshkar, she humbly bows to another acknowledgement of God’s generosity.

“I don’t know why God continues to shower his largesse on me when I’ve reached an age when I’ve received more love and honour than any human deserves. But the French are a class act. And I feel doubly honoured to be chosen by them.” Lata will be getting the award at an event at a suburban hotel in Mumbai on December 2. “It would be part of the French Film Festival being held next week. They’ve sent me some invites which I’ve given to people very close to me. The rest of the film industry I’ve no idea about. I know I’ve the industry’s blessings, though.”

Among the invitees to witness Lataji’s French honour, Amitabh Bachchan is also expected to attend, though the premiere of his home production in on the very next day (December 3).

Earlier, the Big B received the same award at a function in Delhi last year, though he was conferred the award after Lataji.

Says the Nightingale, “Actually, I got this French honour three years back. But I was in no condition to receive it. I was actually on drips when I was informed about the award. Now when I had completely forgotten about it they called to say they’re giving me the award on December 2. I thought they had forgotten about it too,” she laughs her still-girlish laughter, and adds, “Actually I think it was my Rakhi-brother Shivaji Ganesan, who was the first Indian artiste to be given the Legionne d'Honneur. Then came me and Amitabhji.” Must say the French have good taste.

Laughing at the observation, Lataji says, “People say recognition has no meaning beyond a certain stage in one’s growth as an artiste. I say it’s never too late to be told people love you.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
surhall
post Dec 3 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 86

hi
lata ji interview is there in my posting ,
dhall
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Dec 3 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar honoured with the 'Insignia of Officer de la Legion d'Honneur'

See all pix here:

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...#39;/index.html

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Dec 11 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar : Veer Savarkar Did Not Get His Due
- Planet Bollywood Special Correspondant

Mumbai, Dec 10 (PTI) Melody queen Lata Mangeshkar has lamented that freedom fighter Vinayak Damodar Savarkar has not got the respect he deserved in independent India.
It is 100 years since Savarkar penned the popular poem "Ne majsi ne parat matrubhoomila, sagara pran talmalala", extolling the sea to take him back to the motherland.

Lata's brother Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar composed the music and the legendary singer lent her voice to the very popular composition.

Talking to a Marathi daily, Lata recalled that when the tunes were being composed, Tatya (Savarkar) was alive. "I went to him with the invitation. But, since he was unwell, he was not able to make it to the function," she said.

Lata said she has had the opportunity to sing many of his compositions. "The lyrics aroused patriotic fervour. They were inspirational not just to Maharashtrians, but to all Indians," she said.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Feb 3 2010, 11:36 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar wins Pride of India from Hyderabad
IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, February 02, 2010]

Singing legend Lata Mangeshkar was recently honoured with the ‘Pride of India- Kala Saraswathi’ Music Award in Hyderabad. The award was felicitated to the noted singer by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K Rosaiah.

Mangeshkar was reported to have bagged the award at a ceremony on Sunday by a city-based cultural organisation - Andhra Pradesh Kala Vedika - in association with the state government.

After receiving the award the Nightingale stated, “I am thankful for the love and affection of Telugu people. I want to come back to Hyderabad and perform once.”

Besides the award, Lataji was awarded with a cash prize of Rs. 15 lakh, a replica of Charminar, a Veena and ‘Swarna Kankanam’.

Incidentally, before the event the legendary singer experienced a sad incident. Lataji reported to have been quite upset when she found out her purse missing on Sunday morning in Tirumala. Mangeshkar was there on Saturday to participate in the TTD's Nada Neerajanam. The purse said to had contained cash, credit cards and flight tickets to Mumbai via Hyderabad.

According to sources, the TTD officials had been indifferent to Mangeshkar’s secretary and family members when they approached them for help. The officials were said to be busy with the chief minister's visit then. With help coming from no TTD officials, members of the entourage finally contacted the TTD executive officer, Mr I.Y.R. Krishna Rao, who came to their rescue and arranged duplicate flight tickets.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Feb 24 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

Lata sings for Zeenat after 25 years
Deepali Dhingra, TNN, Feb 24, 2010, 12.00am IST

You would be excused for thinking that Zeenat Aman, the first Miss India to crossover from modelling to films, is living in the past.

The actress who gave ‘sexy’ a new meaning in the 70s and 80s with films like Hare Rama Hare Krishna, Manoranjan, Shalimar and The Great Gambler, is not just making a comeback to Bollywood in a substantial role in Sanjay Sharma’s Dunno Y... Na Jaane Kyun, but she’s also performing her evergreen number Aap Jaisa Koi from Qurbani and re-uniting with her co-star Kabir Bedi after 38 years.

Amidst all these reports also comes the news that songstress Lata Mangeshkar — who has sung such lovely numbers for Zeenie baby as Yashomati Maiyya Se Bole Nandlala, Panna ki Tamanna Hai, Main Na Bhoolungi and Satyam Shivam Sundaram, has lent her voice once again for the actress, apparently after a gap of almost 25 years, the last film being Yaadon ki Kasam in 1985. Says music director Nikhil who managed to convince Lata to sing for the film, “She’s sung the title track of the film. I hummed the tune of the song for her and she immediately agreed to do it. Of course, she was extremely happy to know that the song will be picturised on Zeenat and went into a nostalgic mode while speaking to me.”

The actress, on her part too, says Nikhil, was overjoyed when she heard about Lata singing for her once again. “When legends meet, history is created and that’s what is happening now,” adds Nikhil.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Feb 26 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar to croon for Zeenat after 25 years
IndiaGlitz [Thursday, February 25, 2010]

The queens are getting together after 25 years. The golden voice of Bollywood nightingale Lata Mangeshkar will again feel the ears with her melody as she croons for the yesteryears glam queen Zeenat Aman.

Lata Mangeshkar had lent her melodious voice for Zeenat in her most memorable songs in ‘Satyam Shivam Sundaram’, ‘The Great Gambler’, ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’ etc.

The last time she sang for Zeenat was way back in back in 1985 in the film, ‘Yaadon ki Kasam’.

After 25 years, Lata will croon the actress very popular “Aap Jaisa Koi’ from ‘Qurbani’ in Sanjay Sharma’s ‘Dunno Y... Na Jaane Kyun’. The movie also unites Zeenat with her co-star Kabir Bedi after 38 years.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Mar 9 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Lata Mangeshkar gets a surprise call from Aamir Khan
By: Subhash K Jha Date: 2010-03-09 Place: Mumbai

Aamir Khan has known Lata Mangeshkar since his childhood when she would visit his home to meet his father (the late Tahir Hussain). But the bonding between the two grew really strong when she praised Aamir for his singing in Aati Kya Khandala, observing that he held his sur right to the end of the song.

Give and take
After the Khandala song, Lata invited Aamir home and gifted him an expensive watch. Aamir, on his part, got her a shawl from Kashmir while shooting in the Valley for Sarfarosh. For Lagaan, he insisted she sing a bhajan which she did free of cost. Over the years, they've stayed in touch.

Lately, Aamir found no time to connect with the Nightingale, so much so that she confessed on Thursday to a mutual friend that Aamir had not been replying to any of her cards, calls and letters. The friend promptly conveyed the Nightingale's distress to Aamir who immediately decided to set things right.

He called her. Says Lata, "Aamir didn't have my new number. He sought out my number and then called. He explained how busy he had been travelling out of the country."

The singer had been planning to visit Aamir's place since his father passed away but was hesitant due to the lack of communication with his side. But now as the catchphrase goes, 'Aal Izz Well' between them. Aamir will soon be arranging a special screening of 3 Idiots for her.

Whatta film!
Adds Lata, "I love Aamir's cinema. What a film Taare Zameen Par was! Aamir told me he plans to take the whole year off now to produce films. I advised him not to lay off acting for such a long time. Public memory is so short." Lata is aware that her name is mentioned in 3 Idiots among the icons of our times.
Aamir will screen the film very shortly for the Mangeshkar family.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Mar 10 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

When Dilip Kumar made fun of Lata Mangeshkar
Much has been written about Lata Mangeshkar.

Her incredible voice has won her many fans and admirers. One of them is Nasreen Munni Kabir, a British television producer and creator of documentaries like Movie Mahal, In Search Of Guru Dutt, How to Make it Big in Bollywood and The Inner and Outer World of Shah Rukh Khan.

Her most recent book, Lata Mangeshkar... In Her Own Voice, is a book which she told rediff's Patcy N she was only too happy to write.

As we celebrate Lataji's 80th birthday on September 28, we bring you fascinating excerpts from the book:

Nasreen Munni Kabir: Isn't there a famous incident in which Dilip Kumar commented on your Urdu pronunciation?

Lata Mangeshkar: I must tell you the story. One day (composer) Anil Biswas, Yusufbhai (Dilip Kumar) and I were travelling to work together on the train. This was in 1947 or '48. In those days, Yusufbhai was able to travel by train as no one really recognised him!

We were sitting in a compartment and Yusufbhai asked who I was. Anilda replied: 'She is a new singer and sings well. You'll like her voice when you hear her.' They were chatting together and Yusufbhai asked him. 'Where is she from?' 'She is Maharashtrian.'

'But their Urdu pronunciation isn't correct and in their singing you can smell daal-bhaat' (implying a Marathi accent would come through in the pronunciation in Urdu). I felt terribly hurt hearing him say such a thing.

I knew the composer Mohammed Shafi. He was an assistant to Anil Biswas and (legendary composer) Naushadsaab, and a few days later, I told him I wanted to learn Urdu so I could pronounce it correctly.

He found me a maulana, a man called Mehboob, who taught me Urdu for a short while. When I speak, my Urdu isn't very good, but when I sing I make sure there are no flaws in my diction.

Excerpted from Lata Mangeshkar... In Her Own Voice, by Nasreen Munni Kabir, Niyogi Books, with the publisher's permission, Rs 1,489. Buy the book here.

http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/s...r-won-voice.htm

This post has been edited by Sharmila-Sweet: Mar 10 2010, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Mar 10 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

This book of conversations is the closest you'll come to probably knowing Lata Mangeshkar [ Images ]. Given a choice, would you rather hear Lata Mangeshkar sing, or talk?

While that's hardly a debatable question -- especially given that Mangeshkar's voice, like Sachin Tendulkar's [ Images ], is thin, therefore less melodious, or even resonant, when she's talking -- London-based documentary filmmaker Nasreen Munni Kabir, who did just that in a six-part documentary series for Channel 4, now several years later, with additional interviews, has converted it into a book in which you can read the singer as she talks about her life and songs in her own voice.

It's the closest you'll get to her autobiography, minus any personal controversies -- in Mangeshkar's case, her relationship with Raj Singh Dungarpur [ Images ] -- but plenty of professional ones, which she snuffs out with all the dignity, and simplicity, that comes with being India's [ Images ] singing diva for over six decades.

Born in a large house in Sangli, where her father ran a theatre company, and where she began to learn music, with her father's grudging approval, and with whom she sang as a child, Mangeshkar confesses to "making excuses" to get away from her daily tutoring.

"I was very young and preferred playing," she recounts, "I pretended to have a headache or stomach ache," till her father told her, "Always remember -- whether a guru or father is teaching you -- when you sing you must think to yourself you will sing better than him. Never think how can I sing in his presence? Remember this. You must excel your guru."

It was a lesson that has stayed with her all her life. "I have never forgotten Baba's words," she tells Kabir. Lata Mangeshkar...in her own voice is fascinating because the bulk of the book is in the form of an interview, conducted not over days or weeks but over years.

"Film music wasn't hugely appreciated at home," remembers Mangeshkar, "And my father was a conservative man. He was strict about the way we dressed, we could never wear powder or make-up. We couldn't go out freely. Baba didn't like us going out late at night to watch plays, not even his own productions."

It was ironic, therefore, that as the eldest, soon after the family fortunes turned penurious, the Sangli mansion was auctioned, and her father died, she would assume the financial responsibility by becoming an actress in, first, Marathi and, later, Hindi cinema.

"I had no choice," she confesses, simply, but "I never liked it -- the make-up, the lights. People ordering you about, say this dialogue, say that dialogue. I felt so uncomfortable."

Fortunately, her training in classical music and her disciplined voice started to fetch her playback assignments, but it would be a few years before the song that established her reputation -- Aayega aanewala from Mahal -- came her way, and even then it was touch and go.

"There was a lot of discussion about whether we should re-do it or replace it," she recalls, though "when the film was released, it was the first of Mahal's songs to become popular."

While she remembers with fondness the camaraderie that bound Bombay studios and sets together, Mangeshkar seemed to be forever working. "I worked hard," she says, "recording songs from morning to night. Running from one studio to another."

As a result, "I ended up going hungry all day because I didn't even know recording studios had canteens and I could buy something to eat or get some tea. I often went without food and water for the whole day."

In the fifties though "I can't say my financial situation was good, but neither was it bad, because I had a lot of work" and what with rehearsals, and gaining the studios only when the day's shooting schedule was over, "we went onto the studio floor and recorded through the night. The place was full of dust, the lights were still burning hot and it was sweltering. We couln't use the fans because of the noise they made," she reminisces. "I have recorded so many songs in difficult and trying conditions."

Those were times when, while singing duets, "both singers used the same microphone. I would stand facing the mike and the other artist would stand near me, leaving a little space between us. I had a big problem when singing with Hemant Kumar. Because he was much taller than me, I needed to use a small box or stool to stand on and sing," or when recording when she had high temperature "I fainted at the end of the recording", though, as Kabir notes of the song Tu ganga ki mauj hai her voice doesn't have a trace of being unwell.

While she comments about colleagues and friends in the industry, what's even more revealing are facets of Mangeshkar's personality that allow a glimpse behind her usually formidable façade -- such as learning flawless Urdu diction when criticised by Dilip Kumar [ Images ] for her pronounciation, or that "I like listening to Mozart [ Images ], Beethoven [ Images ], Tchaikovsky [ Images ] and Chopin [ Images ]. I have many Western classical music albums," and among her favourite singers are "Nat King Cole [ Images ], the Beatles, Barbra Streisand [ Images ] and Harry Belafonte [ Images ]" and she professes to also "like the Egyptian singer Oum Khalthoum [ Images ] and the Lebanese singer Fairouz [ Images ]".

These, her tiffs with Mohammad Rafi [ Images ] "over royalties" and Raj Kapoor [ Images ] when he changed the composers for Satyam [ Get Quote ], Shivam, Sundaram, her quarrels with Shammi Kapoor [ Images ], her fondness for mimickry, her cars (the first, a grey Hillman [ Images ], and later a Chevrolet [ Images ], a Chrysler [ Images ] and second-hand Mercedes [ Images ] and the gift, recently, of a new Mercedes by Yash Chopra [ Images ] for singing for Veer Zaara [ Images ]), her dislike of cigarette smoke but love of diamonds ("and emeralds too"), as well as interest in photography (beginning with a Rolleiflex [ Images ] she bought for Rs 1,200), her passion for cricket, and her visits abroad when "I even saw the great Marlene Dietrich [ Images ] singing on stage. I will never forget her in the excellent Witness for the Prosecution. I also saw Ingrid Bergman [ Images ] in the play The Constant Wife", and most of all her critical view of herself, make this a remarkable book.

"I have always depended on myself," says Mangeshkar, "In that sense, I am a self-made person. I have learned how to fight. I have never been scared of anyone. I am quite fearless."

Who would have thought that of the frail little person who once bought Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru [ Images ], along with the rest of the country, to tears?

LATA MANGESHKAR …in her own voice
Conversations with Nasreen Munni Kabir
Publisher: Niyogi Books
Pages: 268
Price: Rs 1,500

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/may/1...oice-review.htm

+Quote Post
pawan1234
post Mar 14 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 23366

song :- tota tota
movie :- first love letter.
Singer :- lata mangeshkar.
Bit rate :- 192 kbps
+Quote Post
pawan1234
post Mar 15 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #29

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

song :- o radhatere bina
movie :- radha ka sangam
+Quote Post
pawan1234
post Apr 4 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

song :- main tere dushman 03:45
movie :- nagina

+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:36 AM