Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Ravi Interview

, In 2006

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ravi Interview, In 2006
Ashraf
post Jun 27 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Music director Ravi has given some of the most melodious songs in Hindi, Malayalam, Punjabi, Gujarati, Telugu and Kannada. Born on March 3, 1926, Ravi has scored music for films, which have celebrated silver, golden, diamond and platinum jubilees in cinemas all over India.

One cannot forget some of this evergreen films like `Waqt,' `Chaudvin Ka Chand,' `Gumraah,' `Phool Aur Patthar,' and `Do Kalyan' in Hindi, `Panchagni,' `Vaishali,' `Oru Vadakkan Veera Katha' and `Nagahakshathangal' in Malayalam, `Sa Re Ga Ma Lu' in Telugu, `Love Letter' in Kannada and `Verni Vasulat' in Gujarati, `Sajjan Thug,' `Sassi Punnoo,' and `Nawan Tohfa,' in Punjabi.

Ravi was in Chennai recently to receive the Sanskriti Kalashree award for the year 2006. Here he talks about his musical journey and memorable moments in life. Excerpts from the interview:

Do you remember your first recording as music director?

I was thrilled when I recorded my first song for `Vachan.' We sent the recording to Producer Devandra Goel and when I went to see him he was playing the song in his room. Asha Bhosle was the singer and `Chandamama Door Ke,' which we recorded it at Mahalakshmi Studio.

Do you see any difference between film music then and now?

I feel today's compositions are more for dancing in marriages and on stage. Not for the benefit of the story or the scenes.

How did you make your music popular?

I cannot say about others. I made both simple and catchy tunes, which were basically Indian. I did not copy western music.

Name five persons whom you cannot forget in your film career?

I can name only two — Devendra Goel who gave me my first break, and Hemant Kumar, who encouraged me. I was an assistant to Hemant Kumar and he inspired me very much.

As for my family, my parents Kanniyal Sharma and Taravathi did not object when I told them that I wanted to become a singer and sent me to Bombay. They used to send money for my expenses. My wife Kanthi was very understanding.

Who are your favourite composers?

I like the songs of all composers, but my favourite is C. Ramachandra. He was big inspiration. Those days it was wire recording. The first song recorded so was composed by C. Ramchandra.

How did the transformation from singer to composer happen?

Nobody was giving me solo numbers and I did not want to sing chorus. The last song I sang in chorus was the Hemant Kumar song in `Vandemataram.' There I met Hemant Kumar and he offered me a job as his assistant. He saw my talent and encouraged me to become a full fledged music director. I sang only my compositions in films. I have recorded less than a dozen songs and written lyrics for more than 50 songs. When popular lyricists like Majrooh Sultanpuri passed away I was forced to write the lyrics for my songs.

Who are the music directors whom you admire in the South, particularly in Tamil?

It was Viswanathan and Ramamurthy in those days and now it is Ilaiyaraaja. Have you achieved what you wanted to do? To some extent. When I listen to some of my songs now, I feel that I should have worked more. i Every human being is a learner till death.

You have received 43 awards. Which do you think is the best?

Actually the national award is prestigious. But then some of the best classical music awards I got more than five times and I think are the best honour for me.

Among your 200 films, which were your favourites musically?

If you say musically, you can easily include musical hits such as `Chaundvi Ka Chand,' `Do Badhan,' `Gumrah,' `Ek Phool Do Mali,' `Waqt,' and `Neel Kamal.'

Who are your favourite singers?

My favourite singer was Mohamad Rafi. I used to give him maximum number of songs. I have given songs to Mukesh and Talat Memood. Among females Asha Bonsle has sung many of my compositions. Latha Mangeskar has also sung for me. What ever Latha Mangeskar has sung are superhits.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/07/07/stories...70700670200.htm

dil doondtha hain phir vohi fursat ke raat din
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Anwar_Fan
post Jun 27 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 4348

Thanks Ashraf,

I love Do Badan Songs, Rafi's adopted a different style and was simply magical...........amazing excl.gif

I don't know why, but for some reason I always associated Mahendra Kapoor with RAVI (possibly cos of Gumrah), anyway, thanks for the post, learnt something new today.

smile.gif
+Quote Post
venkat
post Jun 28 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

QUOTE(Anwar_Fan @ Jun 27 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Thanks Ashraf,

I love Do Badan Songs, Rafi's adopted a different style and was simply magical...........amazing excl.gif

I don't know why, but for some reason I always associated Mahendra Kapoor with RAVI (possibly cos of Gumrah), anyway, thanks for the post, learnt something new today.
smile.gif

Oh, nothing is farther from truth, Anwar Fan ji. Ravi holds the no. 4 position among all MDs for the highest no. of Rafi songs.

LP---369

SJ---341

Chitragupta---248

Ravi-- 235

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:46 PM