Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Darjeeling?

, Suggestion for places to stay

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Darjeeling?, Suggestion for places to stay
Nimii
post Mar 6 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Ok going thru the net & refreshed my memory !!!!!!!!

Saw these places -

Tiger Hill
It is the place which is the 'first pilgrimage' on the itinerary of almost all who come to Darjeeling. Situated at an altitude of 2590 metres (8482 ft.), it is 15 km from Darjeeling town. A view of the sunrise amidst the Himalayan range has earned it an international fame.From here you can get a glimpse of Mount Everest, the highest mountain and Kanchenjunga range.

From Tiger Hill, just the top of Mount Everest (29,002') is visible, peeping out through two other peaks standing by its side. The peak that looks highest is that of Makalu (27,799'). These three peaks are seen to the north-west a little left of Phalut. Everest looks smaller than any of its two sisters, although Everest is not only higher than either of them, but the highest peak in the world, the distance in straight line of Everest from Tiger Hill being 107 miles.

Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park:
This is the only Zoo in the world to breed Tibetan Wolf in Captivity and the first South Asian Zoo to breed Snow Leopard and Siberian Tiger.

Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoo is a unique zoo in the country. It is situated at an elevation of 2133.5 meters against the glorious background of the mighty Kanchenjunga. This zoo in Darjeeling is the only specialized zoo in the country and is internationally recognized because of conservation breeding of Snow Leopard and Red Panda. It was established on 14th August 1958 under the Department of Education of the State for study and conservation of the Himalayan Fauna. On 21st November 1975, the zoo was dedicated by Shrimati Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, to the memory of Shrimati Padmaja Naidu, former Governor of West Bengal. Since then the zoo is known as "Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park".

Himalayan Mountaineering Institute:
"The lure of the Himalayas is spreading now all over India among our young people, and that is a sign and symbol of the new life and the new spirit that is coursing through India's veins"
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
Tenzing Norgay's ascent of Everest (8848 m/29,028 ft) along with Edmund Hillary, in 1953 provided the impetus to mountaineering as an organised sport in India, and it was to commemorate this singular success that the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI) was founded in Darjeeling with the personal initiative of Late Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. The Institute was established on 4th November 1954, which was then the hub center of all mountaineering activity in India. Late Maj N.D. Jayal was the first Principal of the Institute whereas Late Tenzing Norgay was Director of Field Training. The Institute is located at an altitude of 6800 feet above sea level.

The Institute is the landmark in Darjeeling and an important center of tourist attraction. It commands a magnificent view of Kanchenjunga massif. The Swiss Foundation for Alpine Research was approached to prepare a scheme for the HMI and Arnold Glatthard, Principal of Swiss Mountaineering School, Rosenlaui, visited Darjeeling for this purpose.

Lloyd's Botanical Garden:
About 15 minutes walk from Chowrastha and just below the Motor Stand is the forty-acre Lloyd Botanical Garden. Over the years plants native to Sikkim Himalayas and exotica from other parts, have been introduced. On its charming laid out terraces grow the alpine plants, arum lilies, geraniums, spectacular azaleas, tree-ferns and conifers, collected from Europe have come the hawthorn, blackberry, broom, horse, chestnut, ash, birch, lilac etc. from China and Japan, cryptomerias; plums, cherries, magnolias and maples weeping willows and deodars; from Africa, the Cape, Bulbon plants and the cypress; from America, magnolia grandiflora and jurriferus bermudiana from Australia and New Zealand, silver and black wattle, the silver oak, the blue gum and eucalyptus. The Cactii and Sacculents section is housed in a separate conservatory with 150 species on display. The varied collection of orchids has developed 50 rare varieties, the Orchidarium housing 2,500 plants. Inside the conservatory, begonias in bloom weave an attractive mosaic of multi-coloured splendour.

Tibetan Refugees Self-Help Centre:
"Our way may be hard and long one, but I believe that the truth and faith must ultimately prevail". -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

The Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre was started on October 1, 1959. At that time, following the dramatic escape of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, thousands of Tibetans leaving hearth and home, fled into the neighbouring countries to live as free human beings. "It is no exaggeration, in fact, to say that without self-help there can be no rehabilitation, be it economic, social, psychological, cultural or spiritual. Therefore, a ten-member committee was formed in Darjeeling to organize a rehabilitation centre to be known as "Tibetan Refugees Self-Help Center"

Ghoom Monastery

The monastery is said to be built in 1875 by Lama Sherab Gyatso. It is considered to be one of the holiest monasteries as this was personally blessed by the renowned Tomo Geshe Rimpoche of Tibet. It is also said that the monastey keeps rare books on Buddhism . The monastery has a statue of the ‘Coming Buddha’ known as Maitreye Buddha.

Dhirdham Temple
Built on the ambitious lines of the great Pashupatinath Temple of Nepal, in 1939, it is situated below the railway statio

<< will add the pix I had taken tomorrow.>>

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 09:11 AM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Pix Taken in Darjeeling

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

More to be added.. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

More pix ... of Tenzing institute and the PN Zoo.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Mar 7 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 2035

Wow Nimii clap1.gif Thanks soooo much...... love.gif Great Info.... and really awesome Pics as well...... bow.gif Thanks a ton!!! thumbs-up.gif smile1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 7 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #20

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

Anurag:

I'm in the field of tourism and this is what we offer our clients visiting Darjeeling:

Early morning excursion to Tiger Hill, for magnificent dawn views over Kanchenjunga and the eastern Himalayan peaks. On a clear day even Mount Everest is visible from this vantage point. Then drive to Ghoom to visit the monastery before returning to the hotel.

Afternoon tour of Darjeeling
. Drive to the Tibetan refugee settlement and Self-Help Centre. From here you will also have a panoramic view of the terraced slopes with tea plantations and the world's tallest race course, the Labong. Then visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute where mountain climbers are trained.

I've experienced a short trip on the Toy Train of the Darjeeling Hill Railway, and don't recommend the ride! It is better viewed from outside as it chugs past. For, while traveling on it, the coal dust keeps billowing onto your face and into your eyes, through the open windows. The train is quaint, having a 2 ft gauge, the narrowest of the regular narrow gauges. It operates between New Jalapaiguri and Darjeeling. It has a tiny 1881-built engine. The 86 km Darjeeling line has no tunnels and provides the traveller an uninterrtpted view of the scenery of the Himlayas. The full ride takes seven and 1/2 hours, a journey only for rail buffs.

The trip to Tiger Hill at dawn is done in a convoy of jeeps emitting diesel fumes. Suggest you wear a surgeons' mask!

As I recollect, the zoo adjoins the Mountaineering Institute and can be visited during the descent from the hill where the Institute is situated.

The most attractive place in Darjeeling town proper is the promenade called "The Mall" flanked by souvenir shops. Don't miss the shop selling Darjeeling tea! Nearby, is Observatory Hill, from where, on a clear day, one can have spectacular views of the Kanchenjunga.

In Kalimpong, make it a point to visit the Himalayan Hotel (http://www.himalayanhotel.biz/english/index.html) and the residential areas. The 'downtown' bazaar area is no different from any other small-town India, but the old residential areas with old British bungalows are just beautiful.

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #21

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Unni ohmy.gif quotation bhi bhej dijiye biggrin.gif jump.gif
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 7 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #22

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nimii @ Mar 7 2006, 11:39 AM) *
Unni ohmy.gif quotation bhi bhej dijiye biggrin.gif jump.gif

HF member ko dishkount dena padega na? mad.gif

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #23

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Haan haan biggrin.gif Now I know who to harrass for my next trip jump.gif

Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni

Aap payment kaise lete hai????? *bananas tau nahi na*
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 7 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nimii @ Mar 7 2006, 11:49 AM) *
Haan haan biggrin.gif Now I know who to harrass for my next trip jump.gif

Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni Unni

Aap payment kaise lete hai????? *bananas tau nahi na*

Kaylay nahin tau dollar chalega! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

hehehehe sure sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hampi mein ek orchard kharidliyaa maine.. poore ke poore banana plantations biggrin.gif

Sab aap ke naam kar deti hoon wink2.gif

It is like buying Time shares laugh.gif
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 7 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nimii @ Mar 7 2006, 11:54 AM) *
hehehehe sure sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hampi mein ek orchard kharidliyaa maine.. poore ke poore banana plantations biggrin.gif

Sab aap ke naam kar deti hoon wink2.gif

It is like buying Time shares laugh.gif

Hampi, here we come! laugh.gif
After the Vijayanagara empire, we now plan to set up a bandaron-ka-raaj! jump.gif

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Mar 7 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #27

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2035

Great info again thumbs-up.gif Well, if you don't recommend the train (which we don't intend taking anyways....) Any idea how long would the auto/cab ride take? Any other modes??? and the rates for that???? unsure.gif sad1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 7 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Unni a part of the Hampi was known as Kiskindaa (Ramayan mein saare bandaron ka raaj thaa na u forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

N laugh.gif
+Quote Post
anurag
post Mar 8 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #29

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 550

QUOTE(Nimii @ Mar 6 2006, 11:51 AM) *

Ok going thru the net & refreshed my memory !!!!!!!!

Saw these places -

Thanks for the description and the pics, Nimii. This was very helpful.

QUOTE(unni @ Mar 7 2006, 11:38 AM) *

Anurag:

I'm in the field of tourism and this is what we offer our clients visiting Darjeeling:

[font=Arial]Early morning excursion to Tiger Hill, for magnificent dawn views over
Kanchenjunga and the eastern Himalayan peaks. On a clear day even Mount Everest is visible from this vantage point. Then drive to Ghoom to visit the monastery before returning to the hotel.

Afternoon tour of Darjeeling [size=2]. Drive to the Tibetan refugee settlement and Self-Help Centre. From here you will also have a panoramic view of the terraced slopes with tea plantations and the world's tallest race course, the Labong. Then visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute where mountain climbers are trained.

I've experienced a short trip on the Toy Train of the Darjeeling Hill Railway, and don't recommend the ride! It is better viewed from outside as it chugs past. For, while traveling on it, the coal dust keeps billowing onto your face and into your eyes, through the open windows. The train is quaint, having a 2 ft gauge, the narrowest of the regular narrow gauges. It operates between New Jalapaiguri and Darjeeling. It has a tiny 1881-built engine. The 86 km Darjeeling line has no tunnels and provides the traveller an uninterrtpted view of the scenery of the Himlayas. The full ride takes seven and 1/2 hours, a journey only for rail buffs.

The trip to Tiger Hill at dawn is done in a convoy of jeeps emitting diesel fumes. Suggest you wear a surgeons' mask!

As I recollect, the zoo adjoins the Mountaineering Institute and can be visited during the descent from the hill where the Institute is situated.

The most attractive place in Darjeeling town proper is the promenade called "The Mall" flanked by souvenir shops. Don't miss the shop selling Darjeeling tea! Nearby, is Observatory Hill, from where, on a clear day, one can have spectacular views of the Kanchenjunga.

In Kalimpong, make it a point to visit the Himalayan Hotel (http://www.himalayanhotel.biz/english/index.html) and the residential areas. The 'downtown' bazaar area is no different from any other small-town India, but the old residential areas with old British bungalows are just beautiful.

Unni, What about going to Siliguri from Kolkata and then taking the train from Siliguri to Darjeeling? Is that also a narrow gauge toy train? And how long does it take?

Do you recommend staying at Himalayan hotel in Kalimpong?

It sounds like Darjeeling after all might be very crowded, something that I don't prefer. I hope I can find some quiet places there.

I am planning to take my tent with me. Is it at all possible to do some camping without freezing to death in the nights?

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". I fear if I examined it, then according to Heisenberg uncertainty principle it would somehow change. After all, we are just particles.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Mar 8 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Anu!!! I found this link in camping on Darjeeling and Sikkim..

http://www.east-himalaya.com/adventure/camps/index.htm

If you have camped before in such an environment elsewhere I dont think it should be a problem. But there are spots where camping can be done.. I dont know about the city restrictions .. etc..

N
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:37 PM