Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

How Did You Start Liking Songs Of Geeta Dutt ?

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Did You Start Liking Songs Of Geeta Dutt ?
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6005

How did you start liking songs of Geeta Dutt ?

I would like to invite feedbacks on this topic from all those who like songs of Geeta ji. Here is my journey over last 22 years or so :

When I was in tenth standard, I started listening to Hindi film songs which were played on Radio, generally Vividhbharati. As is the case with any one who likes wordings more, I started enjoying the old songs from 50's and 60's. Vividhbharati used to play mostly very popular songs only those days, so the obvious favorite singers were Rafi, Lata, Kishore, Mukesh and Asha. Very rarely I used to haer songs sung by Hemant Kumar, Talat Mahmood, Manna Dey and Shamshad Beghum. Slowly I started liking these singers and then one day I heard a few songs sung by Geeta Dutt. ( I believe the songs were from Aarpar and CID.)

This was a voice different from the voice of Lata ji and Asha ji and had a unusual appeal. There was no tape recorder at home, so there was no scope of listening to her songs other than some song played on Vividhbharati. Then I discovered Radio Cylone (as it used to be called earlier, now the name is Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC)). The reception was pathetic to say the least, but that was the place where I started listening to more songs of Geeta ji. Then I started listening to casettes of her songs in the tape recorder of a friend and then started liking the songs.

This liking slowly started turned into being a fan of this sweet, seductive voice. My friend had a 2-in-1 (Radio and Tape Recorder) and started recording songs of Geeta ji for me. Slowly we got a tape recorder at home and then I began to listen to more and more of her songs.

Then began hunt to get more and more songs of Geeta ji. Remember, there was no internet, no mp3, no CDs those times. Buying a LP disc player or 78 RPM record player was not feasible, hence all the efforts were into audio cassettes. There was a music shop nearby who had big catalogues of old Hindi film songs and used to record cassettes for Rs.30 per 90 minute cassette. I used to spend hours to find the songs sung by Geeta ji and make a list to record cassettes. Used to hunt many music shops in the city to get rare/unheard songs of Geeta ji (ex: Dekho ji dil na todo, nahin toh main ro doongi - Captain Kishore).

I had collected cuttings from many newspapers and magazines where some information was available on Geeta Dutt and Guru Dutt. Even these got lost in passage of time..

The joy of listening to her songs in black and white movies in the theaters was un-parallel. Saw Aarpar, Mr and Mrs 55, Pyasa, Shararat, Sadhana, Yahudi, Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam, Bhai Bhai and many more in theaters whenever they were released.

The joy of getting hands on a cassette "Duets to remember - Talat Mahmood and Geeta Dutt" was beyond any comparison. It took some time to groom into and love the peppy numbers like "Oh arabpati ki chhori" from Makhkhichoos.

biggrin.gif

By this time, I had over 40 different cassettes having many songs of Geeta ji spread over. The cassettes were not long lasting and it was too late by the time I realized it. Then job, marriage and moving from one place to another place happened. Still I was holding on to (and listening to) whatever songs of Geeta ji I had in the good cassettes.

I was working in a factory in a remote place and had a few Bengali colleagues. On my request one colleague bought 2 cassettes of Bengali songs of Geeta ji when he went to Kolkata for yearly vacation. That time I loved most of those songs, even when I wasnt knowing the language. The songs like "Nishi raat banka chand" were not less apeealing than "Kaise koi jiye" aur "Chand hain wohi"

I think the love for Geeta ji's voice overpowered all the other factors..

I even had 2 cassettes of her Gujarathi songs (One was titled "Ateetna Sambharana" if I remember it correctly. This cassette had the song "Rakhada ramakada", the original of "Tora manawa kyon ghabarayen")

I moved into IT and then we moved abroad and came back after over 2 years. By this time, the cassettes had all gone bad.

Then there was PC and laptop and some songs in MP3 format with me. Then I bought this 5 CD set Legends which had about 100 songs of Geeta ji. Bought another CD with relatively rare numbers in London (Southall for those who know).

I was under the impression that Geeta ji had sung about 300 or 350 songs based on the limited knowledge I had.

Then HF happened..sort of turning point in my life..I got to download and listen to rarest of the rarest songs, and many songs which I had heard before on SLBC (Ex : Nazdeek na aana, Unse kehna ke woh pal bhar ke liye aa jaye, Kehne ko hain tayyar etc.)

Then I got about 80 songs from www.hamaracd.com in the form of 5 CDs which I ordered online. Now any compilation of her Hindi songs I see has more or less the same songs which I already have in my collection courtsey all the generous and kind souls at HF.

I still remember the efforts and pains I went through those early years to get to listen to songs of my favorite singer. Its my honset feeling is that HF is the best platform for people to listen songs of our beloved Geeta ji.

Of course a site in the honour of Geeta ji would be ideal.

Looking forward to hear from you all..

Thanks for reading through !

Best Regards
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Walker
post Mar 3 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1209

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Mar 3 2007, 02:55 PM) *

How did you start liking songs of Geeta Dutt ?

I would like to invite feedbacks on this topic from all those who like songs of Geeta ji. Here is my journey over last 22 years or so :

When I was in tenth standard, I started listening to Hindi film songs which were played on Radio, generally Vividhbharati. As is the case with any one who likes wordings more, I started enjoying the old songs from 50's and 60's. Vividhbharati used to play mostly very popular songs only those days, so the obvious favorite singers were Rafi, Lata, Kishore, Mukesh and Asha. Very rarely I used to haer songs sung by Hemant Kumar, Talat Mahmood, Manna Dey and Shamshad Beghum. Slowly I started liking these singers and then one day I heard a few songs sung by Geeta Dutt. ( I believe the songs were from Aarpar and CID.)

This was a voice different from the voice of Lata ji and Asha ji and had a unusual appeal. There was no tape recorder at home, so there was no scope of listening to her songs other than some song played on Vividhbharati. Then I discovered Radio Cylone (as it used to be called earlier, now the name is Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC)). The reception was pathetic to say the least, but that was the place where I started listening to more songs of Geeta ji. Then I started listening to casettes of her songs in the tape recorder of a friend and then started liking the songs.

This liking slowly started turned into being a fan of this sweet, seductive voice. My friend had a 2-in-1 (Radio and Tape Recorder) and started recording songs of Geeta ji for me. Slowly we got a tape recorder at home and then I began to listen to more and more of her songs.

Then began hunt to get more and more songs of Geeta ji. Remember, there was no internet, no mp3, no CDs those times. Buying a LP disc player or 78 RPM record player was not feasible, hence all the efforts were into audio cassettes. There was a music shop nearby who had big catalogues of old Hindi film songs and used to record cassettes for Rs.30 per 90 minute cassette. I used to spend hours to find the songs sung by Geeta ji and make a list to record cassettes. Used to hunt many music shops in the city to get rare/unheard songs of Geeta ji (ex: Dekho ji dil na todo, nahin toh main ro doongi - Captain Kishore).

I had collected cuttings from many newspapers and magazines where some information was available on Geeta Dutt and Guru Dutt. Even these got lost in passage of time..

The joy of listening to her songs in black and white movies in the theaters was un-parallel. Saw Aarpar, Mr and Mrs 55, Pyasa, Shararat, Sadhana, Yahudi, Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam, Bhai Bhai and many more in theaters whenever they were released.

The joy of getting hands on a cassette "Duets to remember - Talat Mahmood and Geeta Dutt" was beyond any comparison. It took some time to groom into and love the peppy numbers like "Oh arabpati ki chhori" from Makhkhichoos.

biggrin.gif

By this time, I had over 40 different cassettes having many songs of Geeta ji spread over. The cassettes were not long lasting and it was too late by the time I realized it. Then job, marriage and moving from one place to another place happened. Still I was holding on to (and listening to) whatever songs of Geeta ji I had in the good cassettes.

I was working in a factory in a remote place and had a few Bengali colleagues. On my request one colleague bought 2 cassettes of Bengali songs of Geeta ji when he went to Kolkata for yearly vacation. That time I loved most of those songs, even when I wasnt knowing the language. The songs like "Nishi raat banka chand" were not less apeealing than "Kaise koi jiye" aur "Chand hain wohi"

I think the love for Geeta ji's voice overpowered all the other factors..

I even had 2 cassettes of her Gujarathi songs (One was titled "Ateetna Sambharana" if I remember it correctly. This cassette had the song "Rakhada ramakada", the original of "Tora manawa kyon ghabarayen")

I moved into IT and then we moved abroad and came back after over 2 years. By this time, the cassettes had all gone bad.

Then there was PC and laptop and some songs in MP3 format with me. Then I bought this 5 CD set Legends which had about 100 songs of Geeta ji. Bought another CD with relatively rare numbers in London (Southall for those who know).

I was under the impression that Geeta ji had sung about 300 or 350 songs based on the limited knowledge I had.

Then HF happened..sort of turning point in my life..I got to download and listen to rarest of the rarest songs, and many songs which I had heard before on SLBC (Ex : Nazdeek na aana, Unse kehna ke woh pal bhar ke liye aa jaye, Kehne ko hain tayyar etc.)

Then I got about 80 songs from www.hamaracd.com in the form of 5 CDs which I ordered online. Now any compilation of her Hindi songs I see has more or less the same songs which I already have in my collection courtsey all the generous and kind souls at HF.

I still remember the efforts and pains I went through those early years to get to listen to songs of my favorite singer. Its my honset feeling is that HF is the best platform for people to listen songs of our beloved Geeta ji.

Of course a site in the honour of Geeta ji would be ideal.

Looking forward to hear from you all..

Thanks for reading through !

Best Regards
Parag

Arey waah waah Parag bhai! Tamay toh Geeta Duttna fantastic fan nikalya!!!
I agree with you; we all hv endured a kind of acute but unspecific feeling of anxiety when we think about our love (its difficult to explain this angst) yet i feel one has to undergo some sort of emotional sensation which unerringly fuels this madness (what else can I term it).
My love for KK and AK renders me incapable of functioning usefully in other singer foras. Needless to say this is my first visit to GD forum - nice to read through your experiences here.
Salute to U boss!
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks Walker..

There is no attempt of any comparison between any legends here. I just wanted to express how my love for Geeta ji's voice has grown over the period of time and has become special like vintage wine..

smile1.gif

Parag

+Quote Post
Walker
post Mar 3 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1209

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Mar 3 2007, 04:37 PM) *

Thanks Walker..

There is no attempt of any comparison between any legends here. I just wanted to express how my love for Geeta ji's voice has grown over the period of time and has become special like vintage wine..

smile1.gif

Parag

Haan Dost!! Legends are legends because they are uncomparable smile.gif
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Words of a senior HFite who sent these as a part of a PM :

Thanks for your message. I did go through the introductory piece. I am responding here.

I admire your devotion to Geeta. Its a strange feeling I get when I see your mail on Geeta's forum as I used to exchange mail with Bappa Chatterji who was equally passionate about Geeta. As a collector and lover of vintage music, I too have listened to and admired her songs for over 3 decades.

Personally speaking, I simply like vintage music and there have been so many singers, lyricists, music directors who have enriched it from early 1930s that it is difficult to recall all of them at once. Therefore I generally refrain from comparisons between artistes of different era or even the same era as these are bound to be coloured by personal preferences. For me there are simply favourite songs, and there are hundreds of them or more likely thousands of them, rather than a favourite singer or music director or a lyric writer. Having said that the music that fascinates me most is that of the New Theatres period (1930s and 1940s) in Kolkata and 1940s and 1950s in Mumbai.

===========================================

Since the member has chosen to respond by a PM, hence I have omitted the other details in the PM.

+Quote Post
Chandrashekhar
post Mar 3 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9453

Arey waah waah Parag bhai! Tamay toh Geeta Duttna fantastic fan nikalya!!!

Hi there !!

Happy to notice 'Gujju' with English script !

Gitaji of course, is great through her voice.

I have been told, for any new singer to enter playback singing, he/she starts with copying one

who is already an established singer. If this is true, I think, when Ashaji started her singing career,

she must have had Gitaji in her subconscious ! I may be outrightly mistaken also. but if u and Parag

can throw some light on this........

When great music takes place,boundaries dissolve. Ali Azmat
+Quote Post
kamalamohanty
post Mar 3 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 8424

Parag Jee,
Very good write up. (Ditrectly from the heart)
I too is a fan of Geeta Dutt & have been listening to her since last 50 years or so.
Most appealing & unique voice she possessed.

Regards,

Kamala Mohanty
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(kamalamohanty @ Mar 3 2007, 06:54 PM) *

Parag Jee,
Very good write up. (Ditrectly from the heart)
I too is a fan of Geeta Dutt & have been listening to her since last 50 years or so.
Most appealing & unique voice she possessed.

Regards,

Kamala Mohanty

Yes, it was from the bottom of the heart. Thanks for your response and would like to hear more from all those who like Geeta ji's voice...

Thanks
Parag

+Quote Post
pinky
post Mar 3 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4518

Some 3-4 yrs back I listened to her songs in a restaurant,where they were playing only old songs,
they played 2 songs of Geeta dutt 'Rhimjhim ke tarane leke' and ' yeh dil mujhe batade' and i liked her voice instantly, later whenever i got a chance , i bought casettes with her songs, now i have a lot of her songs on CD, thanks to HF smile.gif

"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen,
nor touched...but are felt in the heart."

Far, very far, into the world of the farthest beyond
My hope carries me and places me
On the sweetest lap of the unknown.
There i behold my self-form
In the Dance-Delight of the Absolute

Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born
Every morn and every Night
Some are born to sweet Delight
Some are born to Endless night
+Quote Post
Chandrashekhar
post Mar 3 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Dear Parag,

May I seek your views on post no. 6 ?

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Chandrashekhar @ Mar 3 2007, 09:09 PM) *

Dear Parag,

Arre..sorry Chandarashekhar , accept my apologies for not replying sooner !

I think every new singer does get influenced by an existing singer in the initial stages of his/her career. One can get glimpses of Noor Jehan ji in a few early songs of Lata ji. People mistook Mukesh ji for the legendary Kundan Lal Saighal in "Dil jalta hain toh jalne de".

Yes, its true that Asha ji was influenced by Geeta ji in the initial phase of her career. Still there are people who dont believe that it is Asha ji singing with Rafi saab in "Aaja panchhi akela hain"

I think its a natural process of evolution for any singer. Preeti Sagar has gracefully accepted that Geeta ji was her idol.

We can discuss this at length..

smile1.gif

Regards
Parag

+Quote Post
Chandrashekhar
post Mar 3 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Mar 3 2007, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Chandrashekhar @ Mar 3 2007, 09:09 PM) *

Dear Parag,

Arre..sorry Chandarashekhar , accept my apologies for not replying sooner !

I think every new singer does get influenced by an existing singer in the initial stages of his/her career. One can get glimpses of Noor Jehan ji in a few early songs of Lata ji. People mistook Mukesh ji for the legendary Kundan Lal Saighal in "Dil jalta hain toh jalne de".

Yes, its true that Asha ji was influenced by Geeta ji in the initial phase of her career. Still there are people who dont believe that it is Asha ji singing with Rafi saab in "Aaja panchhi akela hain"

I think its a natural process of evolution for any singer. Preeti Sagar has gracefully accepted that Geeta ji was her idol.

We can discuss this at length..

smile1.gif

Regards
Parag

Thanx Parag,

Even 'Bhanvra bada nadan hai....was mistaken by many that it has Gitaji's playback.

Infact. I had a bet with my friend as he was pretty sure, the rendition is by Gitaji.

I won the bet..!!

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 3 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(pinky @ Mar 3 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Some 3-4 yrs back I listened to her songs in a restaurant,where they were playing only old songs,
they played 2 songs of Geeta dutt 'Rhimjhim ke tarane leke' and ' yeh dil mujhe batade' and i liked her voice instantly, later whenever i got a chance , i bought casettes with her songs, now i have a lot of her songs on CD, thanks to HF smile.gif

Thanks Pinky. See, the generation of CD, mp3 and internet has reduced the journy to 3-4 years..

biggrin.gif

It was really nice of you posting on this thread. Thank you !

Parag

+Quote Post
AzgarKhan
post Mar 3 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 205

Nice sharing Parag Bhai.
Loved reading it.

+Quote Post
behenji.turned.mod
post Mar 3 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 7547

was there a time i DIDNT listen to geeta dutt....?

jab se hosh nahin bhi sambhala tha...tab se these legends have been a part of daily life..

how can i say KAB i became aware of her n her songs...?

ive never known a life without these ppl..
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:46 PM