Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Welcome To Afghanistan

, In connection with The Khobi SHow

> Hamara Radio Rules

All DJs, RJs and Listeners should abide by the rules mentioned in HF Guidelines -> Guidelines for DJ/RJs and Guidelines for HF Radio Listeners - http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?act=boardrules

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome To Afghanistan, In connection with The Khobi SHow
Afghan Music Info
Would u like to know
YES [ 12 ] ** [100.00%]
NO [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
IDOL
post Sep 9 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #46

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1583

QUOTE(joshi @ Sep 9 2006, 12:16 PM) *
Khobi ji, was one of the instruments in those pics "dilruba"?

oh i am not introducing the instruments in pic.....its jus representing afghan musicians........there might be instrument ur talkin about.........BUT....i will introduce afghan music isntruments in the day of program.........i will bring all traditional instruments' pics, info and names.............so stay tuned then....... smile.gif

.......................................................................IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Sep 9 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

Member No.: 1177

QUOTE(IDOL @ Sep 9 2006, 01:17 AM) *

one thing else......in my list of afghan traditional instrumetns...........there's no such picture matching this instrument.........but looking at the thing with which it is played.........it resembles Ghichak

i know this is used in Afghan music...........and as well as India...............this is the instrument played in Umrao jaan songs.............not very sure if it's our tradtional instrument unsure.gif

Khobi,

This looks like the Dilruba to me (composer Roshan used to play this instrument) - it is quite similar to the Esraj - the latter has a slightly different shape but both of the instruments sound very similar.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is what the Esraj sounds like - just a 20 second sample in Raga Piloo.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use - Galileo Galilei
+Quote Post
IDOL
post Sep 10 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #48

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

there u go................we got the answer.........obviously it was not our traditional instrument.......but India's................and sure , our musicians use it as well.....i've seen it ...but originally from india.....the instrument we have with almost similar sound is Ghichak or Richak

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The esraj (also called israj or dilruba) is a string instrument found in two forms throughout the north, central, and east regions of India. It is a young instrument by Indian terms, being only about 200 years old. The dilruba is found in the north, where it is used in religious music and light classical songs in the urban areas. The esraj is found in the east and central areas, particularly Bengal, as well as Bangladesh. It is used in a somewhat wider variety of musical styles than is the dilruba.

The structure of both instruments is very similar, both having a medium sized sitar-like neck with 20 heavy metal frets. This neck holds on a long wooden rack of 12-15 sympathetic strings while the dilruba has more sympathetic strings and a differently shaped body than the esraj. They both have four main strings which are bowed. All strings are metal. The soundboard is a stretched piece of goatskin similar to what is found on a sarangi. Sometimes the instrument has a gourd affixed to the top for balance.

The instrument can be rested between the knees while the player kneels, or more commonly rested on the knee of the player while sitting, with the neck leaning on the left shoulder. It is played with a bow, using the other hand to press the strings between the frets. The player may slide the note up or down to achieve the portamento, or sustained vibrations, characteristic of Indian music.

The esraj is mostly used as an accompanying instrument. It is the accompanying instrument of choice for Rabindra Sangeet singing. However, it has also been used as a solo instrument to interpret Hindustani Classical Music, mostly in the Vishnupur tradition.

Unfortunately, the popularity of the esraj has been steadily declining. Its image as primarily an accompanying instrument has done little to attract new talent.

The most famous exponent of the esraj has been Pandit Ranadhir Ray, who died in 1988. Ranadhir Ray was a student of Ashesh Bandopadhyay, and was on the faculty at the Music department of Viswabharati University in Santiniketan. Today, the best known exponent is Buddhadeb Das, also from Santiniketan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esraj

.......................................................................IPB Image

+Quote Post
joshi
post Sep 10 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #49

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6207

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Sep 9 2006, 11:54 PM) *

QUOTE(IDOL @ Sep 9 2006, 01:17 AM) *

one thing else......in my list of afghan traditional instrumetns...........there's no such picture matching this instrument.........but looking at the thing with which it is played.........it resembles Ghichak

i know this is used in Afghan music...........and as well as India...............this is the instrument played in Umrao jaan songs.............not very sure if it's our tradtional instrument unsure.gif

Khobi,

This looks like the Dilruba to me (composer Roshan used to play this instrument) - it is quite similar to the Esraj - the latter has a slightly different shape but both of the instruments sound very similar.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is what the Esraj sounds like - just a 20 second sample in Raga Piloo.

raga_tala's input might help us here. He actually can play a lot of instruments (esraj being one of those). Am just interested in the difference between dilruba and esraj...
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 22 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #50

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Idol! Idol! Kahan ho tum? What happened to your prog mad.gif Sigh! She forgot everything doh.gif
+Quote Post
IDOL
post Sep 27 2006, 04:17 AM
Post #51

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 22 2006, 02:09 AM) *
Idol! Idol! Kahan ho tum? What happened to your prog mad.gif Sigh! She forgot everything

Nimmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii , Nimmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sad.gif

I did not forget re.................i got so busy with this political science thing doh.gif ..........and meanwhile working sad.gif ...............so, i might do this show during christmas holidays sad.gif

see, even i can't come online here frequently sad1.gif.........i come once a week or every two week sad1.gif........tough life sad1.gif

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 27 2006, 09:44 AM
Post #52

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Ailaa ohmy.gif Ok ok you are forgiven biggrin.gif Sigh! Will await for xmas vacation then.. wonder if I would be alive and kicking till then wacko.gif
+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 22 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #53

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Naghma in Kabul....the queen of pashtu songs

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 22 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #54

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

IPB Image

The HQ of the Soviet 40th army in Kabul, Afghanistan in 1987. Before the invasion it was the Presidential Place, where President Hafizullah Amin resided. Photo by Mikhail Evstafiev.

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 22 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #55

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Kabul

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 22 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #56

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

kite flyer boys

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 22 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #57

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

kabul

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 23 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #58

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

traditional dress of Afghanistan

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 23 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #59

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

mosque

IPB Image

+Quote Post
IDOL
post Dec 23 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #60

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

mountains

IPB Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:58 PM