Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mehdi Hassan Passes Away

, sad news

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mehdi Hassan Passes Away, sad news
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 13 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75253

Ghazal legend Mehdi Hassan passes away
Last updated on: June 13, 2012 13:34 IST

India-born Ghazal legend Mehdi Hassan, the melodious voice behind evergreen hits like Patta patta, boota boota and Kab ke Bichhare, died today following multiple organ failure at the age of 84.

Hassan, who had millions of fans in India [ Images ] and Pakistan, had been admitted to the Agha Khan Hospital in the southern port city of Karachi some days ago. He had been in a serious condition and was on ventilator.

"My father passed away at 12:22 PM after a long battle against different ailments," his son Arif Hassan said.

Hundreds of fans gathered at the hospital on learning of his death.

Hassan was born into a family of traditional musicians at Luna village in India's Rajasthan [ Images ] state in 1927. His family migrated to Pakistan at the time of Partition in 1947.

Hassan cut back on his performances in the late 1980s due to illness.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
usrafian
post Jun 14 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1776

Film ‘Hum Kahan Ja Rahe Hain’ (1965) had a duet Ghazal of Mahendra Kapoor & Asha Bhonsale
‘Rafta Rafta Who Mere Dil Ke Mehmaan Ho Gaye’. , a favorite of mine.

Later on I came to know that it was originally belongs to Mehendi Hasan Sahab…

Aap To Nazdeek se Nazdeektar Aate Gaye
Pehele Dil,
Phir Dilruba,
Phir Dil Ke Mehmaan Ho Gaye

Uploading it as a tribute to the great passed soul, may God bless him eternal peace.
Attached Image

112kbps 03:39 min

USR

This post has been edited by usrafian: Jun 14 2012, 09:43 AM

Dil Shaad Tha Ke Phool Khilenge Bahaar Mein
Maaraa Gaya Garib Isee Aitbaar Mein
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 15 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Mehdi Hassan changed ghazal singing to become its undisputed shahenshah

Ranjish hi sahi, dil hi dukhane

ke liye aa,

Aa phir se mujhe chhod ke jaane ke liye aa...

A few months after the 1971 Indo-Pak war ended, Mehdi Hassan recorded the above ghazal penned by Ahmad Faraz for the Pakistani film Muhabbat. Despite the deep divide following the war and the tension, the ghazal in Raag Yaman, with a hint of Rajasthani folk form Maand, was a hit on both sides of the border — evoking the yearning that both separates and unites the two countries.

That remained the story of the man born in India who migrated to Pakistan during Partition and who, over his five-decade-long musical journey, came to be known as the undisputed ‘Shahenshah-e-Ghazal’ throughout the subcontinent.

This afternoon, Hassan, who would have turned 85 on July 18, passed away in Karachi after a prolonged 12-year illness. Suffering from lung, chest and urinary tract infections, he had been admitted to hospital almost a week ago. With his death, the curtains came down on the Dhrupad-style of ghazal gayaki (singing) in the subcontinent.

“Aaj sab kuchh kho diya (Today I lost everything),” Hassan’s son Asif Mehdi told The Indian Express over the phone from Karachi.

Hassan was born in a family of Dhrupad singers in village Luna in Rajasthan. At the time of Partition, when he was 20, his parents migrated to Pakistan. Struggling to make a living, Hassan began working at a cycle repair shop and later became a car and tractor mechanic.

He struggled for a long time to establish himself as a singer, which included a one-off performance on Radio Pakistan in 1957. The year 1959 would prove the breakthrough year when Hassan was introduced to a motley group of people at the Art Council in Lahore by legendary poet Faiz Ahmad Faiz. “Sabne kahaa ki badaa meetha gaata hai (Everybody said that he sings very well),” remembers Salima Hashmi, Faiz Ahmad Faiz’s daughter, who was present at the conference.

Soon, no musical soiree was complete without Hassan humming Faiz’s ‘Gulon mein rang bhare baad-e-nau bahaar chale’. “His voice added so many colours to the ghazal that at one of the concerts, Faiz sahab stood up and raised his hands in the air and said that this ghazal belonged to Mehdi Hassan, that he had nothing to do with it. Such was the impact of the man’s singing,” says Pakistani singer Abida Parveen, breaking into ‘Ye dhuan kahan se utha hai’ and ‘Zindagi mein to sabhi pyar kiya karte hain’.

In 1978, Hassan came to India on the invitation of then external affairs minister Atal Behari Vajpayee — his first visit since Partition.

Talking of the long association that developed between Hassan and Faiz, Hashmi, speaking from Lahore, said: “The memory came back today, of Mehdiji siinging my father’s poetry at so many occasions, including various concerts in India.”

Hassan’s contemporary and popular Pakistani ghazal singer Farida Khanum, who travelled extensively with him on tours, says Ghazal singing changed after he added the classical dhrupad style to it. “While all of us would set a list of ghazals to be sung at a particular mehfil, Mehdi bhaijaan had the capacity to sing ‘Gulon mein rang bhare’ for the whole evening. Subah ho jaati thi ek ghazal sunte huye (A whole night would pass listening to the same ghazal).”

Poet Nida Fazli, a close friend of Hassan who penned most of the late Jagjit Singh’s ghazals, says Hassan had been an institution for those in India and Pakistan. “I would tell him to leave his habit of smoking and drinking. But he would never listen. We have lost a gem of an artiste today,” says Fazli, who last met him two years ago when Hassan came to India for treatment.

He adds that it was Hassan’s training in Indian classical music and dhrupad style of singing that presented ghazal in a new avatar.

While Pakistan Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani described Hassan as “an icon who mesmerised music lovers not only in Pakistan but also in the subcontinent”, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he had “brought the subcontinental Sufi sensibilities to life through his songs”.

After news recently came of him living in penury, Indian melody queen Lata Mangeshkar and other musicians in the country had collected money for his treatment. The Rajasthan government had also offered help.

Following his illnesses, Hassan had cut back on performances in the late ‘80s and had been in and out of hospital for the past three years. He is survived by 14 children. Both his wives are dead.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 15 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

There will never be another Mehdi Hasan, say artistes

Mehdi Hassan's death has left a void in the world of music that can never be filled, artistes said today as they mourned the loss of the Ghazal king.

Melody queen Lata Mangeshkar, who once called Hassan the 'voice of God', said, "A singer like him is born once in a millennium. It is my bad luck that I could not sing with him when he was healthy. Now I can only regret. With his demise the music fraternity has lost a great and legendary singer."

Singer Talat Aziz, who trained under Hassan, said, "I feel a tremendous personal sense of loss. I was his 'shagird', I spent a lot of time with him. For me he was a star. I don't have words to describe his loss. He was a great asset to the world of Ghazal. Though he was not singing for quite sometime, but he will be missed. There will never be another Mehdi Hassan."

"I remember him saying I can see 'sur'. We should celebrate him across India and Pakistan because he was an asset to both the countries. He was legendary. Such people come only once in a while," Pakistani Sufi singer Abida Parveen said.

Another Pak singer Adnan Sami said, "He has been an inspiration to anyone who has anything to do with music. He created an institution called Mehdi Hassan... I am still absorbing the news. It's difficult to digest that he has passed away."

Zila Khan said, "I am sad as I was when my father died. What aesthetics of music, what a great artiste he was. In his field of work he was a king because his choice of 'kalam', his music, was supreme."

"It is a great loss. Everyone learnt from his music, technique and style of singing. I had the opportunity to meet him and he was always encouraging. He has been unwell since quite sometime," said singer Chitra Singh, wife of late Jagjit Singh.

"It is a very sad news. I am shocked that he is no more with us. He was not only a great singer but also a very good human being. I remember in the '80s we did a concert at my place and it was a big hit. I was aware that he was unwell and I had always hoped that I should never get the sad news. But now that has happened, he will always remain alive in our hearts," said veteran musician Pyarelal.

"It is a great loss. An era of Ghazal singing has come to an end. His Ghazals were not complicated and could be understood even by a layman. His singing was soulful and moving, his command over Urdu made his singing more endearing. He was the uncrowned king of Ghazal," said Grammy winning musician Vishwa Mohan Bhatt.

Several artistes took to Twitter to express their condolences.

Actor Anupam Kher tweeted, "Very saddened to hear about my favourite Gazal Singer Mehdi Hassan's demise. As a student had gate crashed into Pak Embassy to listen to him. RIP."

Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar posted, "Emperor of Ghazals no more. RIP Mehdi Hassan. You will be missed sorely!"

Singer Shreya Ghoshal said, "Mehdi Hassan sa'ab is no more. The voice, who made many music lovers and lovers to find an expression of their heart's stories, is gone. RIP."

"RIP Mehdi Hassan saab, huge loss to the world of music... your Voice is immortal though," tweeted Shankar Mahadevan.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 15 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Era of soulful ghazal singing ended with Mehdi: Big B

With the death of legendary singer Mehdi Hassan an era of soulful ghazal singing has come to an end, says megastar Amitabh Bachchan.

The Indian-born singer died yesterday in Pakistan at a Karachi hospital following multiple organ failure.

The 69-year-old actor, who met the ghazal maestro many times, says he is pained to learn of the news.

"Deeply pained to learn of the passing away of Mehdi Hassan, in Pakistan... a vocalist of immense fame and unique sonorous voice.

"Mehdi Hassan, an entire era of soulful ghazal singing, gone... now left with beautiful memories and personal meetings with him...," Bachchan posted on Twitter.

The 84-year-old India-born singer was born into a family of traditional musicians at Luna village in India's Rajasthan state in 1927 and later his family migrated to Pakistan at the time of Partition in 1947.

"Mehdi Hassan once told me, he came from humble beginnings and used to train and sing to the tone of the tractor sound in the fields," Bachchan added.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:53 PM