Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Magic of the Velvet Voice

, Talat Mahmood's Unique Voice

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Magic of the Velvet Voice, Talat Mahmood's Unique Voice
extenok
post Jul 17 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #211

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

On divyanjali's request, here's the unreleased song from Madan Mohan's collection from the Jahan Ara recording.

Tum Juda Ho (4:33) @128kbps

zindagi ne kar diya, jab bhi udaas
aa gaye ghabra ke hum, manzil ke paas
sar jhukaaya, sar jhuka kar ro diye
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
divz
post Jul 19 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #212

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2049

QUOTE(extenok @ Jul 17 2005, 08:43 PM)
On divyanjali's request, here's the unreleased song from Madan Mohan's collection from the Jahan Ara recording.

Tum Juda Ho (4:33) @128kbps

Imran ji

thanks a lot..aapne to bahut pehle hi humari request poori kar di..par humhi late o agye dekhne me blab.gif ..actually i thought u will be u/ling in talat forum, humen nahi pata tha ki ye aapka fav. thread hai jahan aap Talat ke gaane u/l karte hain.. smile1.gif

SB ne bataya ki yahan pe hai song...vaise Mahesh ne bhi u/l kar diya hai Talat forum me aaj hi ye song. smile1.gif

bye

" Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game "
+Quote Post
extenok
post Jul 21 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #213

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Perfect Song: A Myth?

Kisko Khabar Thi - Devdas
Sahir - S. D. Burman

What makes a song perfect? How does a song attain that state of perfection? What amount of time is spent in making a song sound perfect? I can't answer those questions nor can I explain the exact nature of perfection for a song. There is one thing I can do, which is to try and explain what makes a song perfect for me.
Four things: melodic music in keeping with the song's mood & feel, appeal of the tune, lyrics that mean something without sounding contrived and lastly, the singer's rendition.

In keeping with this thread's subject matter, I chose Talat Mahmood's song from Devdas, titled 'Kisko Khabar Thi'.

The mood & feel of the song are in line with the storyline, which requires the sound to be tragic, leaning towards mellowness. The flute use here is remarkable in between the lines. The background music is subtle, proving that less is more!

The lyrics speak of defeat and failure, not in words that you would need a dictionary to understand, but in simple plain urdu, unadulterated by the poetic injustice meted out by some verbose & erudite poets. The language is simple, conveying one thing only - the character's despair.

The onus rests on the vocal chords of the singer, in the end, to bring together the music & the words. A song is alive when the words are written & the music is scored. But it's the singer's rendition that gives it a soul.

Here, Talat shines, delivering a controlled performance where others might have seemed hysteric. Talat instills an unexplainable poise & grace into the song. The pauses are timed to the millisecond, making this seem more like a controlled experiment than a song. But such are the tribulations of achieving perfection in creation!

Talat starts with 'hum jaisay', leaves it hanging in the air, short & suspended. Starts again, afresh, this time stretching 'jaisay' and doing the same at the end of 'barbaad dilon ka'. The thing to note here is that there is variation, but not too much - just enough. The pause between two words in the last line, again, adds effect & weight to the words being said. This is the culmination of the song, 'aaj teri ... mehfil se uthay ... kal, dunya se uthh jayeinge'.

It's magic when a simple musical instrument's use combines with the appropriate words and the singer's voice so effortlessly, gelling together to give you a masterpiece.

Behold, perfection!

+Quote Post
extenok
post Jul 21 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #214

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Talat Mahmood singing words penned by Sahir, set to the tune by S. D. Burman here:

rom's upload

+Quote Post
pradeepasrani
post Jul 21 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #215

Group Icon

Member No.: 634

[quote=extenok,Jul 21 2005, 04:31 PM]
The Perfect Song: A Myth?

Kisko Khabar Thi - Devdas
Sahir - S. D. Burman

What makes a song perfect? How does a song attain that state of perfection? What amount of time is spent in making a song sound perfect? I can't answer those questions nor can I explain the exact nature of perfection for a song. There is one thing I can do, which is to try and explain what makes a song perfect for me.
Four things: melodic music in keeping with the song's mood & feel, appeal of the tune, lyrics that mean something without sounding contrived and lastly, the singer's rendition.

In keeping with this thread's subject matter, I chose Talat Mahmood's song from Devdas, titled 'Kisko Khabar Thi'.

The mood & feel of the song are in line with the storyline, which requires the sound to be tragic, leaning towards mellowness. The flute use here is remarkable in between the lines. The background music is subtle, proving that less is more!

The lyrics speak of defeat and failure, not in words that you would need a dictionary to understand, but in simple plain urdu, unadulterated by the poetic injustice meted out by some verbose & erudite poets. The language is simple, conveying one thing only - the character's despair.

The onus rests on the vocal chords of the singer, in the end, to bring together the music & the words. A song is alive when the words are written & the music is scored. But it's the singer's rendition that gives it a soul.

Here, Talat shines, delivering a controlled performance where others might have seemed hysteric. Talat instills an unexplainable poise & grace into the song. The pauses are timed to the millisecond, making this seem more like a controlled experiment than a song. But such are the tribulations of achieving perfection in creation!

Talat starts with 'hum jaisay', leaves it hanging in the air, short & suspended. Starts again, afresh, this time stretching 'jaisay' and doing the same at the end of 'barbaad dilon ka'. The thing to note here is that there is variation, but not too much - just enough. The pause between two words in the last line, again, adds effect & weight to the words being said. This is the culmination of the song, 'aaj teri ... mehfil se uthay ... kal, dunya se uthh jayeinge'.

It's magic when a simple musical instrument's use combines with the appropriate words and the singer's voice so effortlessly, gelling together to give you a masterpiece.

Behold, perfection!

[/quote

You have selected a very apt song for developing the theme, "A perfect song"

Although I must confess that if I would have done a similar exercise, this song may not have been on top of my list. Here I may add that one could perhaps look for a perfect song under various moods and shades. I can think of the following moods / shades to describe the song selected by you. "pathos", "Melancholy" or plain "sadness". The two songs that readily come to my mind (I am certain, there are many more), which have the four qualities described by you, are "Dil Jalta Hai Toh Jalne De" the Mukesh Pathos from Pehli Nazar and the Geeta Dutt melancholy "Waqt Ne Kiya, Kya Haseen Sitam". Perhaps the only additional quality that I could add to Geeta's song is Guru Dutt's superb picturisation, which gives a totally different dimension to this ageless classic.

Pradeep
+Quote Post
extenok
post Jul 21 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #216

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Jul 21 2005, 07:03 PM)

Although I must confess that if I would have done a similar exercise, this song may not have been on top of my list. Here I may add that one could perhaps look for a perfect song under various moods and shades. I can think of the following moods / shades to describe the song selected by you. "pathos", "Melancholy" or plain "sadness". The two songs that readily come to my mind (I am certain, there are many more), which have the four qualities described by you, are "Dil Jalta Hai Toh Jalne De" the Mukesh Pathos from Pehli Nazar and the Geeta Dutt melancholy "Waqt Ne Kiya, Kya Haseen Sitam". Perhaps the only additional quality that I could add to Geeta's song is Guru Dutt's superb picturisation, which gives a totally different dimension to this ageless classic.

Pradeep

Your choices of songs are indeed exquisite, no denying that. But this song is being used as an example here, to start a discussion on it & other such songs by Talat Mahmood. If other members decide to add their own perfect songs by Talat Mahmood, it would serve the purpose.

+Quote Post
shuklas
post Jul 21 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #217

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 376

Dears :

Very interesting thread indeed.Talat Mahmood was very effective in one song with which I was introduced during my undergraduate study in Baroda.The film was Gawaiya and song is : Teri yad ka Dipak Jalta hai...is dard bhare virane mein.His song contains two parts and third part is rendered by Surendra. To me this one is perfect song from Talat Mahamood. We shall be uploading all three parts.....

Rashmi Shukla
Canada

नग्मा वोही जिसे रूह सुनें और रूह सुनायें
+Quote Post
pradeepasrani
post Jul 22 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #218

Group Icon

QUOTE(extenok @ Jul 21 2005, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Jul 21 2005, 07:03 PM)

Pradeep

Your choices of songs are indeed exquisite, no denying that. But this song is being used as an example here, to start a discussion on it & other such songs by Talat Mahmood. If other members decide to add their own perfect songs by Talat Mahmood, it would serve the purpose.

Dwelling upon this theme further and restricting it to Talat Mahmood only, the songs that would be at the top my list, are the three Doraha classics, Tera Khayal Dil Se Mitaya Nahi Abhi, Dil Mein Basake Meet Banake and Mohabbat Tarq Ki Maine. I may also add that two of his popular numbers, Sham - e - Gham Ki Kasam and Jayen Toh Jayen Kahan too fit the bill going by the qualities described by you. The picturisation of the latter is simply breathtaking, Dev Anand at Juhu beach in the backdrop of sun setting over the sea and waves constantly touching his feet; and above all Talat/Sahir/SDB combining to create this immortal melody. Well actually how can one also forget to mention Zindagi Denewale Sun and Shukriya Aye Pyar Tera Shukriya. Even the picturisation of 'Shukriya Aye Pyar' is unforgetable with Rajinder Krishan's lyrics aptly describing the state of mind of Premnath when he discovers that his lady love, Madhubala, is in fact in love with Dev Anand. And I am sure there are many more songs of Talat which can fall in this category.

Rashmiji many thanks for your offer to upload 'Gavaiya' songs. Each of them is a masterpiece.

Pradeep
+Quote Post
extenok
post Jul 22 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #219

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Jul 22 2005, 12:34 AM)
Dwelling upon this theme further and restricting it to Talat Mahmood only, the songs that would be at the top my list, are the three Doraha classics, Tera Khayal Dil Se Mitaya Nahi Abhi, Dil Mein Basake Meet Banake and Mohabbat Tarq Ki Maine. I may also add that two of his popular numbers, Sham - e - Gham Ki Kasam and Jayen Toh Jayen Kahan too fit the bill going by the qualities described by you. The picturisation of the latter is simply breathtaking, Dev Anand at Juhu beach in the backdrop of sun setting over the sea and waves constantly touching his feet; and above all Talat/Sahir/SDB combining to create this immortal melody. Well actually how can one also forget to mention Zindagi Denewale Sun and Shukriya Aye Pyar Tera Shukriya. Even the picturisation of 'Shukriya Aye Pyar' is unforgetable with Rajinder Krishan's lyrics aptly describing the state of mind of Premnath when he discovers that his lady love, Madhubala, is in fact in love with Dev Anand. And I am sure there are many more songs of Talat which can fall in this category.

Interesting to note here that the perfect songs cited by you mostly fall into the moods category of '"pathos", "Melancholy" or plain "sadness"'. I'm sure that wasn't deliberate, unless you were following my lead. Once others start putting up their choices for 'the perfect song', we might see songs from a different shade/mood. Do you think Talat sahab has songs that can be categorized as perfect and yet aren't sad or melancholic?

I admit that I'm unfortunate enough not to have the complete picture when talking about these songs. For me, these songs are simply about the aural experience. The visual representation that you're fortunate enough to narrate is quite an interesting read. Please do add more. Also, what can you tell us about the picturization of 'Kisko Khabar Thi'?

Hoping to read more from your keyboard.

Imran

+Quote Post
alybaba
post Jul 22 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #220

Group Icon

Member No.: 1422

QUOTE(extenok @ Jul 22 2005, 02:52 AM)

Interesting to note here that the perfect songs cited by you mostly fall into the moods category of '"pathos", "Melancholy" or plain "sadness"'. I'm sure that wasn't deliberate, unless you were following my lead. Once others start putting up their choices for 'the perfect song', we might see songs from a different shade/mood. Do you think Talat sahab has songs that can be categorized as perfect and yet aren't sad or melancholic?

I admit that I'm unfortunate enough not to have the complete picture when talking about these songs. For me, these songs are simply about the aural experience. The visual representation that you're fortunate enough to narrate is quite an interesting read. Please do add more. Also, what can you tell us about the picturization of 'Kisko Khabar Thi'?

Imran

Imran,
I don't understand the technicalities involved in songs recording , but as for as the perfection in rendering is concerned, I find the following songs as the perfect songs among Talat Saab's songs:
1.DIL MATWAALA LAAKH SAMBHAALA PHIR BHI KISI PAR AA HI GAYAA--BEWAFAA

2.TUM KO FURSAT HO MERI JAAN! TO IDHAR DEKH TO LO-----------------BEWAFAA
Alybaba
+Quote Post
pradeepasrani
post Jul 22 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #221

Group Icon

QUOTE(extenok @ Jul 22 2005, 02:52 AM)

Imran

Sorry, I have seen Bimal Roy's Devdas long time back and can not remember how 'Kisko Khabar Thi' was picturised. But I can recall another of Talat's songs, which in terms of his velvety singing, exquisite lyrics - again by Rajinder Krishan - and enthralling tune composed by that prince among composers - Sajjad Hussain. I am of course referring to 'Yeh Hawa Yeh Raat Yeh Chandni. This song too, in my view ranks at the very top among Talat's perfect songs but should never be seen on screen as director R.C.Talwar makes a complete hash of its picturisation. I am convinved that when this song was created, it was meant for Dilip to appreciate the beauty of Madhubala. Instead the director picturises it in a very unconvinving manner with Dilip and Shammi involved in the sequence. I am sure even till today Sajjad must be turning in his grave how his beautiful composition was wasted by the director.

Pradeep
+Quote Post
divz
post Jul 22 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #222

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2049

Imran if u r restricting ur elucidation of "Perfect song" within the premises of visuals , then i am unable to express my views as none of the songs sung by Talat have been a visual experience for me.. sad1.gif

but if considering only the aural representation then i will choose songs most of which fall ,as mentioned earlier,into the moods category of '"pathos", "Melancholy" or plain "sadness"'.
i stongly believe that expressing sadness, pathos in ones voice is a hard task to bring to perception of others ears, and Talat's voice seem to be very-perfect in this.

hope to read more abt this Perfect song idea from u and other diligent ppl, whose eyes and ears are more experienced in Talat's voice,than mine. smile1.gif

divyanjali

" Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game "
+Quote Post
dharmvir
post Jul 23 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #223

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1860

and what abot these perfect songs
1.Raat Ne Kya Kya Khawab Dikhaye
Rang bhare sau jaal bichye
Aankh khuli to sapne toote
rah agye gam ke kale ssaye
2.Shahar Ki Raat Aur Main Nashado Nakara Phiroon
Jagmagati Jaagti sadkon pe aawara phiroon
Ae Game dil kya karoon Ae wahshate dil kya kroon
3.Mohabbat Tark Ki Maine Gareb an see liya maine
Zamane ab to khush ho Zahar ye bhi pee liya maine
4.Aansoo to nahin hain aakhon mein
5.Tasveer Banata hoon
6. Teri aankh ke aansoo pee jaoon
aisi meri taqdeer kahan
7.Ye aansoo khusi ke aansoon hain
dil khushi ke mare jalta hai
8.Mit nahin sakta kabhi likha hua taqdeer ka
9.Main dil hoon ik arman bhara
tu aake mujhe pahchan jara
10.Aur hai dil ki lagi aur dil lagana aur hai
11.Kisi Ko Banana Kisi Ko Mitana,Ajab hai ye duniya
12Bharam teri wafaon ka mita dete to
13.Aa bhi ja meri duniya mein koi nahin
14.Zindagi dene wale sun
15. Jo khushi se chot khaye
16.Shame Gam ki kasam
17.Chal Diya Karvan
18. Ae meri zindagi tujhe dhoondoon kahan
na to mil ke gaye na hi choda nishan
19.Doob Gaye aakash ke tarey jake tum na aaye
20.Hui ye humse naadani
21.Ye kya hai dhang zamane ka
22.Aise toote taar
23.Hum karke mohabbat ye samjhe rone se hansi kuch door nahin
24.Kabhi hai gam kabhi khusian yehi to zindgani hai
25.Teri zulfon se pyar kaun kare
26.Sahara koi mil jata to hum kab ke sambhal jate

and ...many..many ..more

HE SANG MANY BEST AND PERFECT SONGS,MANY PERFECT HEART TOUCHING SONGS AND MANY SONGS WITH PERFECT LYRICS

and I think no other singer have sung these songs better than Talat

IPB Image
+Quote Post
hits
post Oct 14 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #224

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 688

Can the admin move this thread onto Talat's sub-forum? This is a good thread and would hate to see it die off. What say extenok?
+Quote Post
pradeepasrani
post Oct 20 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #225

Group Icon

QUOTE(hits @ Oct 14 2005, 07:34 AM) *

Can the admin move this thread onto Talat's sub-forum? This is a good thread and would hate to see it die off. What say extenok?

Well I would certainly support this move. As a matter of fact I do believe that HF should not only be about uploading or downloading songs. The kind of debate which revovled around this topic in July this year, really stimulates interest in the melodies of yesteryears. Moving this thread under Talat Mahmood may revive interest in this topic again.

There are many such topics which can generate a fair amount of interest. For example if we start recalling the number of songs in the latter period (and by this I mean, not later than 1960s) whose tunes are similar to earlier popular songs; it can be a topic which can generate a fair amount of interest. This phenomenon started way back in 1936 when in the movie Deccan Queen, Surendra was made to sing the song, "Birha Ki Aag Lagi Morey Mun Mein" whose tune was a carbon copy of Saigal's "Balam Aaye Baso Morey Mun Mein". May be we could start a separate thread for such songs, though I am not sure where it should be fitted.

Pradeep
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:55 PM