Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Magic of the Velvet Voice

, Talat Mahmood's Unique Voice

16 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Magic of the Velvet Voice, Talat Mahmood's Unique Voice
extenok
post Oct 26 2003, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

The Quiver: Anil Biswas on Talat Mahmood
- the time of discovery
I have always kept an eye open for fresh talents and fresh voices, and it was during one of those try outs that a tall lanky man from Calcutta said he was desirous of acting in films and as he had already sung in Calcutta as Tapan Kumar, he could break through. I sized him up and asked him to sing a song, and as he started off, I was mesmerized. His voice didnt have any classical base, but his voice was such that you just felt like closing your eyes and listening. I asked him to come the next day saying I would give him a song- and he better forget his acting for the time. The next day, as he sang, I was bemused. That beautiful quiver in his voice which had attracted me was missing. I stopped him and when asked about it, Talat replied "Dada, everyone says my voice shivers - I was trying to correct it". I was furious and asked him to get out and get the voice I had chosen - the Talat Mahmood I had chosen. He immediately obliged - and at the end of the rehearsal, I told him, "Thats how you will sing from now" - and he did. From then on he never did look back - at least not as long as I was there.

That song was "Ae dil mujhe aisi jagah le chal" in "Arzoo" on Dilip Kumar. He became The voice of the Tragedy King and the pathos in Talat's voice so ideally suited the tragic image that Dilip Kumar developed for himself.

Naushad:
from Doordarshan's "Shraddhanjali" programme
"You can fathom how unique Talat sahab's voice is by the fact that there are a thousand copies of Mohd. Rafi, Kishore, Mukesh and others. But Talat sahab's is the only voice in our Film Industry that has never been copied or duplicated ever ! His is a voice that stands apart and is truely inimitable !"

Kishore Kumar:
Illustrated Weekly of India- Dec '87
Such was Talat Mahmood's aura, that Kishore Kumar on hearing Talat once at Anil Biswas's house had remarked, "I think I had better give up singing. How can I dare open my mouth so long as such a perennially romantic voice is around !"

Mehdi Hassan:
From The Hindu- 27th. Sept. '91
"It was through the vocals of Talat Saab that I discovered the goldmine in my throat. His songs like 'Ek main hoon ek meri bekasi ki shaam hai' and 'Husn walon ko na dil do ye mita dete hain' had left a lasting impression on me. It was whilst singing these two Talat numbers on stage in the early years of my singing career, that I held an audience of 10,000 in Pindi spellbound ! Believe it or not, the moment I completed singing these two Talat hits, the Pindi audience showered me with money and in a trice I had collected almost about Rs.14,000 ! All this, was of course, courtesy Talat Saab ! "

Pankaj Udhas:
Voice clip in "Legends - Talat Mahmood" released by HMV
"Whenever there is a discussion on ghazals only one name comes to your lips - that of Shahenshah e Ghazal Janab Talat Mahmood ! I am very much influenced by him and his music. His singing style, his soft velvety voice, his sweet, emotion filled, tuneful film songs, geets and ghazals..... a voice so sweet that you can listen to it for hours on end..... and you get that feeling of sweet nectar being poured into your ears ! "

Ameen Sayani:
Reliving The "GeetMala" lore in 'SCREEN' - Sept 22, 2000
"The Geetmala which was aired from 1952-53 didn’t rank the songs. It only played seven hit songs, without rating them. It was only in 1954 that Geetmala became a countdown show.
I remember vividly that in 1954, the topper of the first countdown show was
Talat Mahmood’s "Jayen to Jayen Kahan" from film 'Taxi Driver'."

Dilip Kumar:
"... There was a uniqueness in his voice which has never been seen in any other singer. His songs touched peoples hearts. When I would act to his playbacked songs I would put in that much more extra effort to match his singing prowess".

Whether it be songs like ai mere dil kahii.n aur chal, koi nahin mera iss dunya mein from Daag or shaam-e-Gam kii qasam, aaj Gamagii.n hai.n ham from Footpath or even Kis ko Khabar Thi from Devdas, the Legend with the Golden Voice proved his mettle time and again while singing for Dilip Kumar and other legends of the movie industry.

Bibliography
My Velvety Idol http://www.freehomepages.com/imsathya/talat.htm
A Golden Voice- Talat Mahmood http://www.talatmahmood.com
Devdas http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/jul/03dilip.htm
Songs of Talat Mehmood http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~navin/india/songs/...at_mehmood.html
Hamara Forums- Binaca Geet Mala - 1954 http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40

zindagi ne kar diya, jab bhi udaas
aa gaye ghabra ke hum, manzil ke paas
sar jhukaaya, sar jhuka kar ro diye
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Oct 26 2003, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Good work Imran. A great effort putin to gather all this scattered information.

Personally I like Jalte Hein Jiske Liye from Sujatha, both interms of song and the picturization. A very simple and innovative way of portrating deepest feelings within one's heart for his sweethrt.

kuch bhi nahin hai tera mol, boli na badi bol, khilona tu maati ka...
+Quote Post
extenok
post Oct 26 2003, 09:27 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

A few hit numbers by the Ghazal King that made a fan out of me.

Songs from Indian Melody- Talat Mahmood

And yes Pradeep, your personal favourite is also in there.
You can feel the nuance and intonation added in each line with the most subtle touch.

Attaching the lyrics for this amazing number penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri...

jalate hai.n jisake liye, terii aa.Nkho.n ke diye
Dhuu.NDh laayaa huu.N vahii, giit mai.n tere liye
jalate hai.n jisake liye

dard banake jo mere dil me.n rahaa Dhal naa sakaa
jaaduu banake terii aa.Nkho.n me.n rukaa chal naa sakaa
aaj laayaa huu.N vahii giit mai.n tere liye
jalate hai.n jisake liye

dil me.n rakh lenaa ise haatho.n se ye chhuuTe na kahii.n
giit naazuk hai meraa shiishe se bhii TuuTe na kahii.n
gunagunaauu.ngaa yahii giit mai.n tere liye
jalate hai.n jisake liye

jab talak naa ye tere ras ke bhare ho.nTho.n se mile
yuu.N hii aavaaraa phiregaa ye terii zulfo.n ke tale
gaaye jaauu.ngaa yahii giit mai.n tere liye
jalate hai.n jisake liye

+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Oct 26 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

Great work, extenok! Thanks for posting this.

I adore some of the songs Talat sahab has sung. Of course Jahan Ara tops the list. Then comes Chhaya, specially "aansoo samajh ke kyon mujhe" and then "zindagi denewale sun". Last but not least "main paagal mera manva paagal"... there's no voice like his. Gotta agree with Naushad on this one.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Chitralekha
+Quote Post
kcp
post Oct 27 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

Wow ...Kishore said this for a magazine which was out on stands after 2 months of his death !!! Thats news !!!

Regards

KCP
+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Oct 27 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (kcp @ Oct 26 2003, 11:14 PM)
Wow ...Kishore said this for a magazine which was out on stands after 2 months of his death !!! Thats news !!!

KCP ji,

Isnt it possible the magazine printed it later? After all it says "...Kishore Kumar on hearing Talat once at Anil Biswas's house had remarked...". Just something that caught my eye.

Chitralekha
+Quote Post
extenok
post Oct 27 2003, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chitralekha @ Oct 27 2003, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (kcp @ Oct 26 2003, 11:14 PM)

KCP ji,

Isnt it possible the magazine printed it later? After all it says "...Kishore Kumar on hearing Talat once at Anil Biswas's house had remarked...". Just something that caught my eye.

Chitralekha

kcp:

That comment is directly taken from Khalid Talat Mahmood's maintained site http://www.talatmahmood.com/
I probably cannot vouch for the statements veracity. But, I do tend to lean towards the explanation that Chitralekha has presented.

Chitralekha:

I agree with you on "Jahan Ara" topping the list. My favourite from that one would have to be 'Teri aankh ke aansu pee jaun'. Definitely a heart-wrenching track. Not to mention this was probably one of the last movies that had his endearing ghazals.
Madan Mohan, the MD for Jahan Ara and also for Aashiana ('mai.n pAgal meraa manavA pAgal') was a close friend of Talat Mahmood. Adding a brief passage about this taken from www.talatmahmood.com:

".......... Talat first met music director Madan Mohan when Madan came to live in Lucknow for a while. Their love for ghazals made them good friends. In a friendly gesture, Madan promised Talat that once he went back to Bombay and signed on films as a music director he would definitely use Talat's voice. Madan was true to his promise and Talat and Madan teamed up for many hits in many films including Jahan Ara, Madhosh, Ashiana, Haqeeqat and others. They enjoyed a close bond of friendship throughout their lives. "

Another thing to be noted here is the lyrics being penned by Rajinder Krishan, and other wordsmiths like him for the ghazal king, for Madan Mohan's compositions and other MDs as well. It seemed as if in those days either singers/MDs were very particular about the lyrics or it was just a much more civilized world compared to today's standards.

+Quote Post
kcp
post Oct 27 2003, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Yes yes...I understand....Kishore sitting at Anil Biswas's place and hearing Talat sahab !!! it must be in the Mid 50's...and it appears in IW after 30 years !!!

anyways ...does anyone has that copy or more details about this particular article, I mean who wrote it/addressed to whom/in what context ??

Regards

KCP
+Quote Post
kcp
post Oct 27 2003, 03:48 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Speaking about Talat -AnilBiswas...I just love his duet with Lata from the film Taraana - Seene Mein Sulagte Hain Armaan !!! Kya gaana hai !!! Also the Anil Biswas music, film Do Raaha had a lovely Talat song - Mohabbat Tark Ki Maine....I remember those good old days of Radio when I was glued to it the whole day !!!!

smile.gif

KCP

Regards

KCP
+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Oct 28 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (extenok @ Oct 27 2003, 02:22 AM)
Chitralekha:

I agree with you on "Jahan Ara" topping the list. My favourite from that one would have to be 'Teri aankh ke aansu pee jaun'. Definitely a heart-wrenching track. Not to mention this was probably one of the last movies that had his endearing ghazals.
Madan Mohan, the MD for Jahan Ara and also for Aashiana ('mai.n pAgal meraa manavA pAgal') was a close friend of Talat Mahmood. Adding a brief passage about this taken from www.talatmahmood.com:

".......... Talat first met music director Madan Mohan when Madan came to live in Lucknow for a while. Their love for ghazals made them good friends. In a friendly gesture, Madan promised Talat that once he went back to Bombay and signed on films as a music director he would definitely use Talat's voice. Madan was true to his promise and Talat and Madan teamed up for many hits in many films including Jahan Ara, Madhosh, Ashiana, Haqeeqat and others. They enjoyed a close bond of friendship throughout their lives. "

Another thing to be noted here is the lyrics being penned by Rajinder Krishan, and other wordsmiths like him for the ghazal king, for Madan Mohan's compositions and other MDs as well. It seemed as if in those days either singers/MDs were very particular about the lyrics or it was just a much more civilized world compared to today's standards.

Extenok,

For me the top song from Jahan Ara would be "phir wohi shaam wohi gham wohi tanhaayi hai". What a voice and Talat sahab has sung it so beautifully. I have to agree with you about the lyrics of Rajinder Krishan. Truely awesome stuff. "main paagal mera manva paagal, paagal meri preet re, pagle pan ki peed woh jaane bichhade jiss ka meet re" is also gem of a song. Talat sahab ke shabdo mein kitna dard hai jaise aisa hi lagta hai yeh bhaav we khud anubhav kar rahe hai. And he could only sing it when Rajinder Krishan penned such songs. I didnt know he has also written so many of my fav songs until today when I went thru some of his songs list. They dont write songs like those now.. even singers and MDs are not as good as they used to be. Every word had a meaning and the voice of singers would just touch the hearts of listeners. *sigh*

Thanks for the info about Madan Mohan and Talat Mahmood.

Best regards,
Chitralekha
+Quote Post
p1j
post Oct 30 2003, 12:48 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8

Adding a Few More...

Naushad
-Talat lived in Lucknow and brought the culture of that place with him. He always smiled, never speaking loudly. I never heard him say anything bad about other. Talatsaab?s voice never suited loud song that demanded a high-pitched voice. Shouting or screaming didn?t suit him. So he avoided those kinds of songs. He was a decent man and his voice reflected that decency and sense of calm. When you listen to him. You easily get the feeling that he was a soft-hearted man.

Khalid Mahmood, Talat Mahmood?s son :

-Talat mahmood would listen a lot to Dean Martin and Elvis Presley.The reason was probably that they were also soft singers like him, more into romantic numbers. They shared the same style: their love for good poetry and music

-Shaamein gham ki kasam by Talat Mahmood for ?Footpath? required 54 takes!? in those days one had to give complete retakes, so you can well imagine the level of involvement and commitment he had in his work........

Pavan
+Quote Post
cinemaniac2
post Jan 11 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 107

a voice which can never be replicated/emulated
u will never get a talat clone? why?

juda meri manzil juda meri raahen
milengi na ab teri meri nigahen
mujhe teri duniya se hai door jana
woh guzara zamana
mujhe bhool jana

we will not forget him
one of the best

cinemaniac2

+Quote Post
usha
post Jan 11 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 176

Hi Friends,

What can one say about Talats voice, u just listen and u get transported to a different world of moonlight and romance altogether,what a voice what a voice.I too wd like to share some of my fav talat numbers with all of u
Zindgi ki kasam ho chuke unke hum,Be reham aasman meri manzil kahan yeh bata,jeevan hai madhban,-solo
hai koyi dekh lega mere sang piya gabraye mora jiyare-with latha,Armaan bare dil ki lagi tere liye hai-with geetha dutt,kehta hai dil tum ho mere liye-with asha
yeh nayi nayi preeth hai and mausam yeh pukare masthi mein le chal mathwale dil ke caravan-with latha............... i can go on and on and on............
+Quote Post
cinemaniac2
post Jan 18 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

it put's u in a another world

main pagal mera manwa pagal
pagal meri preet re...

kahe yeh duniya main diwana
din ko dekhe sapne
diwani duniya kya jane
yeh sapne hai apne

great music/great lyrics/great singing

cinemaniac2
+Quote Post
usha
post Jan 22 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 176

Talat's voice has the rare Quality of bringing back memories of good old days of listening to radio, binaca geeth mala,and makes u feel so nostalgic,and it is the case with all those great singers like rafi,hemant,mannadeyandlath asha etc;
I add some more songs of talatmainly duets with latha and they are so perfect together,
!,Dil yeh dil baharomein mil-ek phool char kaante
2,dil mein sama gaye sajan-sangdil
3,Tumhari yaad hi dil se bhuja jaye-yasmeen
4,gaya andhera huwa ujala-subah ka thara
some duets as beautiful together with asha,
1,Baharon ki duniya pukare tu aaja-Laila majnu
2,hame haale dil tumse kehena hai-24 ghante
3,do dil dadak rahe ke aur awaz ek hai-insaaf
4,teri nigahomein terehi bahomein-bahana
5,pyas kuch aur bhi badkhadi-lalarukh
one can go on.........
+Quote Post

16 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:36 PM