Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Three Reigning Queens

, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis

64 Pages V « < 54 55 56 57 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Three Reigning Queens, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis
swarapriya
post Jun 20 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #825

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

(Meena) Do Bigha Zamin (1953)

Here is an instant classic from Bimalda. This was his maiden venture as a producer and director. Its story was written by Sail Chowdhury who also composed its music. Its screenplay was written by Hrishikesh Mukherjee who also was the editor and one of the assistant directors of the movie.

The movie garnered several awards. It won the Best Picture Filmfare Award and the Best Director Filmfare Award. It was the first movie to win an International Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. It won a prize for Social Progress at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival. It also won a National Award.

The movie introduced comedian-actor Mehmood in a bit role. It had the child actor Jagdeep in a small role. Meena Kumari appeared as a guest. When I uploaded these songs earlier, Abhay, one of our fellow members wrote how Meena ended up acting in this film. Here is what the comedian Asit Sen said in a Filmfare interview. Asit Sen had a role in “Do Bigha Zamin” and also was working simultaneously in another movie in which Meena Kumari was the leading lady. On the sets of this other movie he narrated the story of “Zamin” to Meena. Moved by the story, Meena, already an established star, approached Bimalda to give her a small role. Bimalda couldn’t refuse her request. She ended up playing a guest role in the film.

The movie has only a few songs. But it has that Salilda’s lilting touch that elevates them to beautiful melodies. I am re-uploading these on request from an original soundtrack album. Here are these songs…

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 21 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #826

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Madhubala) Beqasoor (1950)

Here are the songs from this album, with two music directors, Anil Biswas and Hansraj Behl. All these songs were originally contributed by our fellow member AKF. Thank you very much AKF ji for these lovely songs.

I am re-uploading these on request...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 21 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #827

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Meena) Parineeta

Here is one of the great movies from Bimalda. Filmed in stunning black and white, with an award winning incredible performance from Meena Kumari, and ably supported by Ashok Kumar, the movie remains as one of the classics of Indian Cinema. The story taken from Sharat Chandra Chatterjee’s 1914 Bengali novel of the same name was produced by Ashok Kumar himself. Incidentally, Bimalda who won the Best Director award for the movie, went on to make Sharat’s “Biraj Bahu” in 1954 with Kamini Kaushal and Ashok Kumar, and the following year, in 1955, he brought another Sharat’s literary classics to life in “Devdas” with Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanti Mala, and Dilip Kumar.

Ably assisted by the brilliant editing of Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Kamal Bose’s cinematography, Bimalda narrates the story at unhurried pace without losing the grip on the characterization spontaneity. Even the dialogues are delivered in soft tone so that the absence of loudness adds to the beauty of the proceedings of the movie.

Bimalda was a photographer and editor before turning as a director. He was the cinematographer of Saigal’s classic “Devdas” made in 1936. Kamal Bose, who was the cameraman for this movie, captures various moods of the principal characters in glorious black, grey, and white colors. As the critic Shoma Chatterjee aptly observed: “…the camera was Bimalda’s brush and his unfailing grip over it made him maneuver it with gentle strokes, sweeping into his canvas the rich poetry and the powers of human beauty, the intensity and the variety of human emotions…”

The two main characters played by Meena Kumari and Ashok Kumar walk through their respective roles with such professional skill that watching them is like taking a lesson in acting. Meena looking ever so beautifully captures all the subtleties of human emotions like love, pathos, uncertainties, and anxieties that her character goes through with commendable restraint collaborated with consummate artistry.

I am not much familiar with the work of the music director of this movie, Aroon Kumar Mukherjee. Besides this film, it appears like he gave music to “Pratima (1945)”, “Muqaddar (1950)”, “Samaaj (1954)”, and “Teen Bhai (1955)”. He seems to have sung in some movies too. “Kismat” made in 1943 was one of them. Too bad he didn’t get opportunities to provide music for more films because he proved his prowess by composing some beautiful songs for this movie. When I initially uploaded these songs, one of our members, Faraaj, wrote in a message that Mukherjee was initially a playback singer, mainly as a voice of the great thespian, Ashok Kumar.

My favorite song from this film is by Geetaji that seems to make a definitive statement. The song “Chaand Hai Wohi” is rendered with such sweetness and sung as if Geetaji put her whole soul into it. This beautiful composition is brilliant, intense, and romantic all at the same time. The listening experience of this mellifluous song leaves one totally consumed. Per our Geetaji expert, member Parag Sankla, for some curious reason this song was removed from the film few weeks into its release. If indeed this was the case, it is a pity.

Manna Dey has two parts of the song, “Chali Raadhe Rani”, in this film. These types of songs are so routine to Mannada and yet he puts that “extra” something into them that make them stirring listening experiences. I am uploading the same song by Geetaji as well. This apparently is not from the film and is a version song.

Asha also has a couple of beautiful solos. Especially her song “Gore Gore Haathon Mein” is very enchanting to listen to. The song is made special the way the antaraas return to the mukhdaas in the composition with percussion instruments giving able support.

Finally, let me also mention about the song by Ashit Baran, who also starred in the movie as the “other” person in Meena Kumari’s life. His song “Toota Hai Naata” almost sounds like Hemantda’s, yet it has distinctiveness of its own. Per Faraaj, Baran was a respected singer of the 40’s. He sang several memorable songs for Panakj Mullick and R.C. Boral. Faraaj also observed that the song “Toota Hai Naata” doesn’t appear to be original and has shades of Roshan’s song from “Malhar (1951)”, “Dil Tujhe Diya” sung by Mukesh.

Bimalda, the master of the movie medium, seamlessly integrates these songs in such a way that they become part of the narrative, smooth and beautiful, but never obtrusive.

I am re-uploading these songs on request. Here they are…

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ShankarJaikishanFan
post Jun 22 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #828

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 180961

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 21 2011, 09:12 PM) *

(Meena) Parineeta

Here is one of the great movies from Bimalda. Filmed in stunning black and white, with an award winning incredible performance from Meena Kumari, and ably supported by Ashok Kumar, the movie remains as one of the classics of Indian Cinema. The story taken from Sharat Chandra Chatterjee’s 1914 Bengali novel of the same name was produced by Ashok Kumar himself. Incidentally, Bimalda who won the Best Director award for the movie, went on to make Sharat’s “Biraj Bahu” in 1954 with Kamini Kaushal and Ashok Kumar, and the following year, in 1955, he brought another Sharat’s literary classics to life in “Devdas” with Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanti Mala, and Dilip Kumar.

Ably assisted by the brilliant editing of Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Kamal Bose’s cinematography, Bimalda narrates the story at unhurried pace without losing the grip on the characterization spontaneity. Even the dialogues are delivered in soft tone so that the absence of loudness adds to the beauty of the proceedings of the movie.

Bimalda was a photographer and editor before turning as a director. He was the cinematographer of Saigal’s classic “Devdas” made in 1936. Kamal Bose, who was the cameraman for this movie, captures various moods of the principal characters in glorious black, grey, and white colors. As the critic Shoma Chatterjee aptly observed: “…the camera was Bimalda’s brush and his unfailing grip over it made him maneuver it with gentle strokes, sweeping into his canvas the rich poetry and the powers of human beauty, the intensity and the variety of human emotions…”

The two main characters played by Meena Kumari and Ashok Kumar walk through their respective roles with such professional skill that watching them is like taking a lesson in acting. Meena looking ever so beautifully captures all the subtleties of human emotions like love, pathos, uncertainties, and anxieties that her character goes through with commendable restraint collaborated with consummate artistry.

I am not much familiar with the work of the music director of this movie, Aroon Kumar Mukherjee. Besides this film, it appears like he gave music to “Pratima (1945)”, “Muqaddar (1950)”, “Samaaj (1954)”, and “Teen Bhai (1955)”. He seems to have sung in some movies too. “Kismat” made in 1943 was one of them. Too bad he didn’t get opportunities to provide music for more films because he proved his prowess by composing some beautiful songs for this movie. When I initially uploaded these songs, one of our members, Faraaj, wrote in a message that Mukherjee was initially a playback singer, mainly as a voice of the great thespian, Ashok Kumar.

My favorite song from this film is by Geetaji that seems to make a definitive statement. The song “Chaand Hai Wohi” is rendered with such sweetness and sung as if Geetaji put her whole soul into it. This beautiful composition is brilliant, intense, and romantic all at the same time. The listening experience of this mellifluous song leaves one totally consumed. Per our Geetaji expert, member Parag Sankla, for some curious reason this song was removed from the film few weeks into its release. If indeed this was the case, it is a pity.

Manna Dey has two parts of the song, “Chali Raadhe Rani”, in this film. These types of songs are so routine to Mannada and yet he puts that “extra” something into them that make them stirring listening experiences. I am uploading the same song by Geetaji as well. This apparently is not from the film and is a version song.

Asha also has a couple of beautiful solos. Especially her song “Gore Gore Haathon Mein” is very enchanting to listen to. The song is made special the way the antaraas return to the mukhdaas in the composition with percussion instruments giving able support.

Finally, let me also mention about the song by Ashit Baran, who also starred in the movie as the “other” person in Meena Kumari’s life. His song “Toota Hai Naata” almost sounds like Hemantda’s, yet it has distinctiveness of its own. Per Faraaj, Baran was a respected singer of the 40’s. He sang several memorable songs for Panakj Mullick and R.C. Boral. Faraaj also observed that the song “Toota Hai Naata” doesn’t appear to be original and has shades of Roshan’s song from “Malhar (1951)”, “Dil Tujhe Diya” sung by Mukesh.

Bimalda, the master of the movie medium, seamlessly integrates these songs in such a way that they become part of the narrative, smooth and beautiful, but never obtrusive.

I am re-uploading these songs on request. Here they are…

Thank you!

Arun Kumar is a relative of Kishore, Ashok and Anoop I think. He appeared as an actor in the early Ashok Kumar films like Kismet as well. After he passed away, it's said that Kishore sent money regularly to help his family.

This could be him (he's singing) in 1939 Bandhan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2EaJYbIUH0
+Quote Post
ShankarJaikishanFan
post Jun 22 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #829

Group Icon

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 21 2011, 01:25 PM) *

(Madhubala) Beqasoor (1950)

Here are the songs from this album, with two music directors, Anil Biswas and Hansraj Behl. All these songs were originally contributed by our fellow member AKF. Thank you very much AKF ji for these lovely songs.

I am re-uploading these on request...

Cheers! Love those two Hansraj Behl songs especially.. His best along with the Talat song from Dost (1954) imo.
+Quote Post
ShankarJaikishanFan
post Jun 22 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #830

Group Icon

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 20 2011, 09:59 AM) *

(Meena) Do Bigha Zamin (1953)

Here is an instant classic from Bimalda. This was his maiden venture as a producer and director. Its story was written by Sail Chowdhury who also composed its music. Its screenplay was written by Hrishikesh Mukherjee who also was the editor and one of the assistant directors of the movie.

The movie garnered several awards. It won the Best Picture Filmfare Award and the Best Director Filmfare Award. It was the first movie to win an International Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. It won a prize for Social Progress at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival. It also won a National Award.

The movie introduced comedian-actor Mehmood in a bit role. It had the child actor Jagdeep in a small role. Meena Kumari appeared as a guest. When I uploaded these songs earlier, Abhay, one of our fellow members wrote how Meena ended up acting in this film. Here is what the comedian Asit Sen said in a Filmfare interview. Asit Sen had a role in “Do Bigha Zamin” and also was working simultaneously in another movie in which Meena Kumari was the leading lady. On the sets of this other movie he narrated the story of “Zamin” to Meena. Moved by the story, Meena, already an established star, approached Bimalda to give her a small role. Bimalda couldn’t refuse her request. She ended up playing a guest role in the film.

The movie has only a few songs. But it has that Salilda’s lilting touch that elevates them to beautiful melodies. I am re-uploading these on request from an original soundtrack album. Here are these songs…

Cheers! Only a few songs but all classics!
+Quote Post
yogihit
post Jun 22 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #831

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 45555

(Meena) Parineeta

thank you SP, here i am uploading title music courtesy by HFM

Payload Size: 4129019 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 172 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
192 kbps, approx. 6585 frames
44100 Hz Joint Stereo

Regards,
Yogi

An open source Person
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 22 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #832

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(ShankarJaikishanFan @ Jun 21 2011, 11:37 AM) *

(Meena) Parineeta

Thank you!

Arun Kumar is a relative of Kishore, Ashok and Anoop I think. He appeared as an actor in the early Ashok Kumar films like Kismet as well. After he passed away, it's said that Kishore sent money regularly to help his family.

This could be him (he's singing) in 1939 Bandhan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2EaJYbIUH0

You're welcome. And thanks for the pointer. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 22 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #833

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(yogihit @ Jun 21 2011, 09:48 PM) *

(Meena) Parineeta

thank you SP, here i am uploading title music courtesy by HFM

Payload Size: 4129019 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 172 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
192 kbps, approx. 6585 frames
44100 Hz Joint Stereo

Thank you very much Yogi for the tile music. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 22 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #834

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 58864

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 22 2011, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ShankarJaikishanFan @ Jun 21 2011, 11:37 AM) *

(Meena) Parineeta

Thank you!

You're welcome. And thanks for the pointer. Cheers. -S

Thanks for the YouTube link. I hadn't seen the video for this classic song before.

Arun Kumar is indeed related to the Ganguly brothers and was in fact their cousin. He frequently playbacked for cousin Ashok and in fact his two best songs - Dheere Dheere Aa Re (Kismat) and Woh Unka Muskurana (Sangram) were both picturised on Ashok Kumar.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 26 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #835

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Nargis) Raat Aur Din (1967)

This was the last movie in which Nargis appeared as an actress. What a way to end a career! A career loaded with accolades, awards, romance and heartbreak, and finally marriage bliss and own family. We started this thread on Nargis way back nearly two years ago in August of 2009 and discussed her first film “Talash-E-Haq” that was made in 1935. Nargis’ 32-year career as a movie actress was nearly the same story of the growth of Indian cinema, from struggling infancy to super stardom, from a child artiste to a mature one admired for her acting skills throughout the world.

After three of her last movies were released (that was in 1958), Nargis appeared for a few seconds in her husband Sunil Dutt’s “Yaadein” in 1964, that too as a silhouette. She was shown attending the premiere of “Mother India”, along with many other stars, in Dev Anand’s “Kala Bazaar”. That was in 1960. In effect she was retired from acting after 1958. Then suddenly her brother, Anwar Hussain, a character actor himself, found this story about a woman suffering with multiple personality disorder and wanted to make it into a film. He persuaded his sister, Nargis, to come out of retirement to act one last time. Though very reluctant at first, Nargis finally agreed.

The movie heavily borrowed from several English movies, mostly Alfred Hitchcock, notably “Spellbound (1945)” and “Marnie (1964)”. Irrespective of it, the movie could stand on its own merits for several reasons. It was the first psychological thriller attempted on an Indian screen. It had a brilliant musical score by Shankar & Jaikishan. Above all, it had one of the greatest performances by an actress, here Nargis. Nargis was absolutely convincing and very brilliant as two different people. The movie could have been much better than what the final product was, but Nargis carried it on her shoulders. Her performance alone was worth the admission to see the movie. She was nominated for the Best Actress Award by Filmfare but lost to Waheeda Rehman. Waheeda won the award for “Neel Kamal”. However, if there is any justice, Nargis did win that year the National Award as the Best Actress.

I am uploading all songs from this fine album in two back-to-back posts from an original soundtrack album. I am also including a couple of specials.

Here are the songs in the first post. I am uploading a special version of "Na Chhedo" with an introduction by Lata where she fondly recalls her association with the music directors Shankar & Jaikishan. Now for the songs…

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Jul 1 2011, 06:44 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 26 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #836

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs from "Raat Aur Din (1967)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this beautiful album. I am including in this post a special version of "Dil Ki Girah Khol Do" with an introduction by the great singer Manna Dey fondly talking about Lata.

Here are the songs...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Vidur Sury
post Jun 30 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #837

Group Icon

Member No.: 169937

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 13 2010, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 13 2010, 05:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 12 2010, 02:38 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 12 2010, 07:38 PM) *

Early Albums of Meena Kumari

I am requesting our members to please kindly share any songs from the following early albums of Meena Kumari:

Nai Roshni (1941)

Thank you very very much.

Cheers,
Swarapriya

Nai Roshni has a beautiful Zeenat Begum song - Dard e Dil Dil Mein Basaya Jaayega and composed by Anil Biswas. I unfortunately have it in low bitrate.

Thank you very much for both the songs. Please go ahead and upload the lower bit rate version. These songs are so rare and difficult to get hold of. I am requesting our admin folks to make an exception to the rule and let you upload the song.

Cheers Faraaj,
S

Swarapriya

I'm not worried about Admin. I've uploaded low b/r songs before that were very rare and they appreciated that fact. I actually strongly support the bitrate rules on HF - they ensure quality. The only reason I didn't upload this song yesterday was in the fleeting hope that someone might have a better and higher b/r version they could share.

Anyways, enjoy this lovely song...

Old Filmi - 1941 Nai Roshni - Zeenat Begum - Dard e Dil Dil Mein-anil biswas mp3 20kbps 2m 41s

This is Husn Bano Ji. Zeenat Begum Ji didn't sing for Anil Biswas Ji, any Bengali or any West Indian composer!

Being so versatile, Zeenat Begum Ji, unfortunately was used mostly only by Punjabi composers. Rafique Ghaznavi Ji and Husnlal - Bhagatram Ji (north Indian but not Punjabi based), Vasant Desai Ji (Marathi based) and Hansraj Behl Ji (Bombay based) are a dew exceptions.

Morever, she debutted in films with Mangti (1942, Punjabi, music by Pandit Gobindram Ji) and Nishani (1942, music her mentor Pandit Amarnath Ji) in Hindi films.

Another great thread. Congratulations to Swarapriya Ji.

Vidur

This post has been edited by Vidur Sury: Jun 30 2011, 04:07 PM
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 3 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #838

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vidur Sury @ Jun 30 2011, 03:36 AM) *

Another great thread. Congratulations to Swarapriya Ji.

Vidur

Thank you very much Vidurji. Appreciate it very much. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 3 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #839

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Madhubala) Jaali Note (1960)

Songs from this album were recently uploaded in the "Three of a Kind" thread in this directory. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...3600&st=534

+Quote Post

64 Pages V « < 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:06 PM